Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Best anti Virus
Posted by: frankie ()
Date: September 7, 2009 18:30

One thing about the mac having same specs as pc. true, but mac works faster and more flawless with it. Have an imac now for a haf year never failed or stalled yet, what a difference compared to pc or laptop. Furthermore you'll get one hell of a screen with your imac. plus a superduper keyboard.Oh yeah, no virussus yet.
I didn't buy a mac because of their marketing but because a friend of mine had one and after seeing the performance of the screen he had convinced me. The flawless working on a mac was a true extra surprise. I know now I will never go back to windows pc.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 7, 2009 19:17

frankie
Furthermore you'll get one hell of a screen with your imac. plus a superduper keyboard.Oh yeah, no virussus yet.

Yeah, but I will have to admit the "mighty mouse," or however they call it, really sucks big time, especially the scrolling wheel.
The wheel keeps getting stuck. I have already turned in my original for a replacement under warranty, but the new "updated" mouse does the same thing.
I am ready to buy a more conventional and non-Apple mouse to use.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: September 7, 2009 19:45

I've been in the Information Technology sector (networking and software distribution) for 24 years as a consultant. Over those years, the introduction and evolution of personal computer viruses have become a serious problem. There's no 100% perfect AV software since the virus coders create new ones every day. The best solutions are regular backups of your data on a external disk (then taken offline and stored), a complete USA Department of Defense (DOD) compliant erasure of the computers system disks and re-installation of all your software. Any virus on the physical disks are killed (along with everything else) due to the way the erase process works. A simple format DOES LITTLE TO ELIMINATE A VIRUS or safe guard your data! Of course, use some body's software Nortons, AVast, McAfee etc... All do an OK job and something is better than nothing. Keep them updated and do full system rescans as much as possible.

Bottom line, if some one REALLY wants to mess your machine up via hacking or a virus, they WILL be able to do it! UNIX, MVS and all the other supposedly "SECURE" systems require a password for access. That means they can be hacked and damage done. Think of all the credit card providers that were compromised and customer data stolen. You can bet the front ends of these systems were not PC's OR MAC's. If it can happen to them, there's nothing stopping it from happening to us.

Now from a which OS is better stand point, I have both and it makes me no difference. From the one that made me a small fortune in my career... Thank god for Windows! Vista is a consultants dream OS. One of the worst pieces of code Microsoft ever developed. XP has not been around for 10 years because they fired a bunch of programmers at Microsoft, it works fairly well and is all over the place. If I had to rely on Apple's operating systems and application to make a living as a consultant, I would have died from starvation 15 years ago. They are very stable, the interface is excellent, their interaction with peripherals is top notch and networking them is almost a simple as just plugging the ethernet cable in.

CBII

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 7, 2009 19:51

Lorenz
lIf 50% of the world's population would use macs or linux, there would be viruses for it.

I think that's quite correct.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 7, 2009 20:16

Best anti virus? Don't catch one.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10