Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Eric Clapton
Posted by: Eilert ()
Date: June 3, 2005 14:47

Have you ever thought about how great "August" is? I mean the topic is a bit sidetrack, but still. Clapton was offered to join the Stones and is a personal friend of the band.

I consider this album to be his best. He reached his peak here, tried his best to do some commercial stuff and it blew everybodys minds!

One of the favourites is "Holy Mother". Beautiful christmas song about Richard Manuel, but the one that really gets me going is the duet with Tina Turner - "Tearing us Apart". Man that slidesolo! That's awesome! Kickass rock n´roll!

Re: Eric Clapton
Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: June 3, 2005 15:09

Letting Phil Collins produce his solo album was Erics musical lowpoint in my opinion. When you hear him talking about the mid 80s nowadays, he says that he lost direction and was too stoned to care. I like his 89 album though, don´t remember the name, his friend Harrison wrote a song for it.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 3, 2005 15:41

Journeyman?

Date: June 3, 2005 15:46

For me, August is the lowpoint of Clapton's career. Albums like Slowhand, 461 Ocean Boulevard, E.C was here etc. are better examples of his brilliance.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 3, 2005 18:34

August is the only record I ever bought that I returned to the store as a used resell after listeing to only Side A. Truly disgusting. His worst by far. EC and PC do NOT MIX. Can't believe anyone would even suggest this album to be among his better ones, let alone his best.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: June 3, 2005 18:38

Using Phil Collins as a producer was Claptons biggest mistake.....

Collins ruined his music.....

Posted by: Berlin ()
Date: June 3, 2005 18:45

August is a lowpoint i Clapton`s career. Horrible 80`s production. But at that time, it was not easy for Clapton to get a record-contract. So he had to work with P.Collins to get an actual sound.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 3, 2005 19:21

What Berlin says about Collins' involvement says almost as much about the industry as it does about Clapton's rather passive attitude about recording (which Tom Dowd wrote about in his liner notes to the 1993 MoFi edition of '461. The record company (Polydor) also rejected the first, Glyn Johns produced version of "Another Ticket" in '80, & had EC go back in the studio w/ Tom Dowd. And Warner bros rejected the first version of "Behind the Sun" & insisted Eric record new songs by Jerry Williams. Post Layla, I always liked the Rainbow Concert lp (not the horrible hatchet job Jon Astley did for the 'expanded' cd, chopping several minutes off most of the orig lp's tracks), 461, EC Was Here, and even Backless, which has a nice Tulsa groove & has EC in better shape than he was on most of Slowhand

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: June 3, 2005 20:19

From the cradle is one of my favourits

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 3, 2005 21:47

I refuse to listen to any of Eric's post - Blind Faith material.

Don't get me wrong, some of Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs is okay, but in my opinion, the guy is a hypocrite. He quit the Yardbirds because he disagreed with the poppy direction they’d taken with their For Your Love single and what does the man do? Well, after a great few years with the likes of John Mayall and Cream, he ditches his Les Paul and goes all soft rock and smoochey on us. Not cool at all.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 3, 2005 21:52

clapton has done nothing IMO after layla - sad but true

put out a MTV unplugged to save his COMMERCIAL career

Posted by: Eilert ()
Date: June 5, 2005 23:36

I can't get a person to agree with me. What's wrong with Phil "@#$%&" Collins? I mean "Against all odds" is a real teardropper. "From the Cradle" is horrible, with the blues and stuff. No, I love "It's in the way that You use it" that went on to the soundtrack of "Color of money" with Paul Newman and Tom Cruise. It shows just how big E.C really is.

Who said he was stoned out? Was he on drugs in the 80s? I thought he quit that before "461"? But I know he kept drinking for a long time. Just look at the eyes on "Money and Cigarrettes". One of his worst records have to be "Another ticket".

I think the "Rainbow concert" is one of the truly overrated albums of his career.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 5, 2005 23:52

Eilert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"From the Cradle"
> is horrible, with the blues and stuff.

Are you serious here? Eric Clapton is a pure blues musician.

From the Cradle is one of my favorite albums!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 6, 2005 01:01

August contains a Michael Jackson composition.
Uncredited that is.
I don't think that die hard Clapton fans know this. But 'Behind The Mask' is a Jackson/Sakamoto/Mosdell tune. Believe it or not.
That's just some trivia.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 6, 2005 18:08

Eilert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of his
> worst records have to be "Another ticket".
>
>

We come from polar opposites on Clapton. August is a debacle, while Another Ticket remains one of his strongest studio efforts. The blues covers, per usual, carry the day, on this overlooked gem. Been playing it a bunch of late.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home