Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sway by Alejandro Escovedo
Posted by: Gunnar ()
Date: June 4, 2005 21:08

Listening to AccuRadio Twang on the Internett I just heard a countryversion of Sway from Sticky Fingers. It is performed by Alejandro Escovedo and stems from his album More Miles Than Money: Live 1994-96.
It is a nice one. Recommended.

Cheers,
Gunnar

Re: Sway by Alejandro Escovedo
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: June 5, 2005 06:37

Just a note...but I am good friends with his brother Mario. Mario was the lead singer of the Dragons and is launching his solo career. I am thinking about talking with Mario about doing a Stones cover night the evening before the Stones gig here in San Diego. The Dragons used to do a great Stones cover night every X-Mas eve at the Casbah called "Exile on Ketner". If enough fans let me know they want this & would show up...I think I can get the band to do it.

Cheers

For those who want to check out the best rock band they never heard of, check out:

www.thedragons.com

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: June 5, 2005 16:31

Alejandro Escovedo is one talented musician. In addition to Sway, he does a great live version of Evening Gown and he and his band do a great job capturing what could be called a Stonesy sound without it being just a copy.

One big difference between seeing Alejandro and seeing the Stones (the obvious notwithstanding)...Alejandro, like many other club level bands, breaks the momentum of what would otherwise be a great show by (1) trying to by funny, (2) spending too much time tuning and re-tuning guitars, and (3) swithching the show tempo from fast to slow to fast to slow, etc. The Stones and other great live acts generally start fast, slow it down gradually to the ballads, and then let it rock again. There are some exceptions to this, but the format is a winner.

Great Alejandro album...Bourbonitis Blues...check out I Was Drunk and California Blues...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 6, 2005 14:22

Funny, I was going to post on this last week, but gave up when I tried to spell his name. I've got a version on a free CD which came with Uncut magazine in the UK (which has lots of Stones covers by lots of different bands on it).

This version of Sway is really great -especially the guitar solo. It kind of sounds a bit countryish to me.

What sort of music does Alejandro usually play?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 6, 2005 20:16

Yes,I've had those Uncut discs 3 yrs now. Some great covers ,but Sway always stands out - sublime !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home