Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 19
Re: Charle QUITS !
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 2, 2009 17:57

i believe it. and i doubt there will be a big announcement, they will try to keep it almost secret.
it´s bad news for sure but on the other side i wasn´t very impressed with charlies dumming and sound for years. in recent years i found his drumming to interfere with the direction mick and keith wanted to go. it didn´t fit anymore.
but i dislike the drumming on keith´s solo records even more.

in todays music the drums are even more important than ever before,
therefore i see a new drummer as a new chance to make something different and current for the stones, in the studio and also live.

the music will change, i think that is good.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:00

wetland10
How different is it than The Who with just Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend? They still sell tickets. Regardless,it's unfortunate if Charlie did quit, but that video above sounds pretty nice too.

Wayne

Unfortunately since The Who became just basically Pete and Rog it has became a case of diminishing returns. For anyone who saw the original band in the 70s it is a sad comparison to see them today and everytime I see them now the flame flickers a little less. I don't want that to happen to the Stones. It's better to burn out than it is to rust, as Neil Young says.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:00

I'm a big Charlie fan, but if he quits I know I still go and see Mick and Keith under wathever name they tour (IF)

But I wouldn't travel too far or often. Not worth it.

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:01

duke richardson
Bill quitting was one thing, and it changed things. But for a tour to be planned without Charlie, can't see it happening. no auditions for another drummer, no way. just my opinion, but any tour as The Rolling Stones, without him would badly damage their reputation.

Unfortunately, I don't know if they care so much about their rep anymore. And it's not just the money, they (Mick and Keith) are addicted to the life and will probably - some say they already have - outlast their better days because of it.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:06

duke richardson
Bill quitting was one thing, and it changed things. But for a tour to be planned without Charlie, can't see it happening. no auditions for another drummer, no way. just my opinion, but any tour as The Rolling Stones, without him would badly damage their reputation.
too late to worry about their reputation, vegas era trashed it all to hell, on with the show.

Posted by: Sandy Beach ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:11

Ready, ALL SOLD OUT !!
The next tour is close, very close.
Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie again, i can't wait!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:11

Anyway has this been confirmed?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:14

Silver Dagger
wetland10
How different is it than The Who with just Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend? They still sell tickets. Regardless,it's unfortunate if Charlie did quit, but that video above sounds pretty nice too.

Wayne

Unfortunately since The Who became just basically Pete and Rog it has became a case of diminishing returns. For anyone who saw the original band in the 70s it is a sad comparison to see them today and everytime I see them now the flame flickers a little less. I don't want that to happen to the Stones. It's better to burn out than it is to rust, as Neil Young says.
Keith would Probably answer Neil's quote with "it's better to be old than to be Young". :*

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:18

Wayne wrote:
"I don't want that to happen to the Stones. It's better to burn out than it is to rust, as Neil Young says."

I don't think Keith gives a crap about going out on top - i think he probably just wants to keep playing for as long as he can/as long as it's still fun. I think the only one who would care about something like that is Mick.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:21

Slick
duke richardson
too late to worry about their reputation, vegas era trashed it all to hell, on with the show.

With full respect but I can´t stand this damned "vegas era" term sh*t anymore !

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:25

Just think of the Stones with no Wattage.
No good.

They will have to change to a new name.
How about The Tumblin' Trio.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:25

I DONT BELIEVE A WORD OF IT-CHARLIE AINT GONNA QUIT. HES THE MOST RELIABLE AND PROFESSIONAL OF THE LOT!

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:26

Interesting rumour, dont believe it for a minute drinking smiley

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:27

Munichhilton
Just think of the Stones with no Wattage.

Lol-I like that term- Charlie provides the power!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:27

DandelionPowderman
<the one member who played consistently well on the last tour>

IMO, both Mick and Ronnie had a great tour as well... Ronnie had his best tour since 1989/90.
i agree 100% .ronnie was the mvp of the tour .he was the star of the abb tour!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:28

What did you fell when you saw them first time without Bill? (My first show was in 95). It will be strange to see Steve Jordan in Charlie's place but the music stay the same. Waiting for next tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()

wetland10

Wayne

Different band, different ethic.

The Who are creatively centred around one person. The Stones aren't.

Plus, The Who have NOT been a band continuously since their formation - the Stones have. The Stones are more of a unit than The Who have ever been.

Also, there's a bit of a difference in replacing/continuing without an original member when you're in your 30's (Keith Moon) or even your 50's (Entwistle) than there is when you're in your late 60's. At THAT stage and after 47 years, its basically a case of 'why bother'.

If we're going to compare an act who had the right attitude when it came to knowing what to do with faced with replacing the irreplaceable, then Zeppelin is possibly a better example.

Posted by: duke richardson ()

its not a Vegas act, just a very good rock and roll show. a 'Vegas act' would be something on a much smaller scale

sorry but I love the Rolling Stones, and I believe they do care about their reputation. as Charlie himself has said, 'when we tour we risk reputation, which is everything'

Date: September 2, 2009 18:30

stoneswashed77
i believe it. and i doubt there will be a big announcement, they will try to keep it almost secret.

Trust me, if they're touring next year and Mick is introducing the band and says "on drums - Charrrlie......Drayton", people will notice.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()

Anyone interested in getting in touch with the author of the article...:
paul@undercover.com.au

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Munichhilton ()

Didn't Charlie say
"This is Rock N Roll.You don't think I take any of it very seriously?"

paraphrasing

Posted by: Massimo68 ()

Entertainment Weekly (USA, Time Warner group) published the same news few minutes ago :

EW has a call in to their publicist (RS), and will keep you posted.

[music-mix.ew.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-02 18:35 by Massimo68.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:33

open-g
Terrible news - if it is true.

could this be a dirty marketing trick by ....M.Cohl? ...in though economic times, to make sure to sell more tickets?
'give them the shock treatment first , then later say it ain't so'

Noels quitting made a big media splash, didn't it.
i have a funny feeling,thats what this is about jagger/cohl scheme to get our money in this tough economy.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:36

Ah, but life is good-

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:36

Saw the thread title and thought it was a joke. Opened the thread....lost my breath.

I miss Charlie already

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:37

Massimo68
Entertainment Weekly (USA, Time Warner group) published the same news few minutes ago :

[music-mix.ew.com]

Yet again that site's only duplicating the Undercover story - but the picture on the right gave me an idea. Maybe the Stones can poach the Dead Weather's drummer...

Date: September 2, 2009 18:48

carlostones10
It´s crap. The Stones never will play without Charlie. Charlie is the Rolling Stones, said keith. And Charles Drayton played bass in the winos. He just played drums in a little number of songs. The drummer was Steve Jordan

Excellent point, Carlo, and one which makes me doubt the validity of the rest of the story.

Date: September 2, 2009 18:50

Massimo68

[music-mix.ew.com]

But this article is saying Charlie is NOT QUITTING the Stones......

Charlie Watts not quitting Rolling Stones, despite rumors
by Leah Greenblatt
Categories: News, Rolling Stones
Charlie Watts, the dapper silver-haired drummer for the Rolling Stones, was reported today by Australia’s Undercover entertainment website to have left the band, just three years short of their 50th anniversary.

The band’s spokesperson, Fran Curtis, tells EW there is no truth to the rumors: “Contrary to a fabricated story that ran this morning,” he says, “Charlie Watts has not left The Rolling Stones.’’

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:50

Charlie MUST stay with the Stones in order for them to tour.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:51

Green Lady
Massimo68

[music-mix.ew.com]

Yet again that site's only duplicating the Undercover story - but the picture on the right gave me an idea. Maybe the Stones can poach the Dead Weather's drummer...

That site is now saying:

Charlie Watts not quitting Rolling Stones, despite rumours
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Charlie Watts, the dapper silver-haired drummer for the Rolling Stones, was reported today by Australia’s Undercover entertainment website to have left the band, just three years short of their 50th anniversary.

The band’s spokesperson, Fran Curtis, tells EW there is no truth to the rumors: “Contrary to a fabricated story that ran this morning,” she says, “Charlie Watts has not left The Rolling Stones.’’

The 68-year old Watts has been with the band since 1963; In 2004, he was diagnosed with throat cancer, which has since gone into remission.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home