Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT: The Black Crowes: Before the Frost...
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 26, 2009 02:38

I've tried my very best to get into this band - and their last release.....but I got to admit that I hate them intensely - every second is a struggle to get through. Threw my only silver CD of this band in the garbage yesterday

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 26, 2009 02:56

a band is an inanimate object - can't hate it, erik - my momma told me so....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 26, 2009 03:32

Well she might be right, Tod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-28 00:44 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:28

Erik, you contradict yourself...saying you try to get through a song but hate them????
Just don't fight it and enjoy it, or move on and try a different band. No need to dwell on hate. Too negative.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 26, 2009 07:10

Wow, it's really cool that the Crowes have transformed themselves into a jamband. But sombody should tell them that Phish, Widespread Panic and the DBT's already do it better.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: September 26, 2009 09:54

Just revisited the album after a two week hiatus. And it is indeed a major rock and roll work. Especially in preserving the rock and roll heritage and exploring further fusing of rock with hillbilly country. A Train Makes a Lonely Sound is their finest Stones/Faces groove they have created. Parts of Tumbling Dice and Faces/Jealous Guy with some plaintive pleading vocals. Good Morning Captain is a great opener, letting the listener in on their new secret of capturing the live sound from a studio recording. I Ain't Hiding creates a rock version of Curtis Mayfield. It starts off funky then progresses into a hard core jam ala Southern Harmony. Kept My Soul is a down and dirty blues/rock workout. Yes, a lot like Ventilator Blues, but with their own unique twist. Very good production on this, taking the best of live and adding some tasty studio layers. That is a mighty strong opener for an album! And a lot of other treats to follow.
Yeah it is easy to say this is their Exile. But then again, it is very American, which makes it different from the English interpreting American roots music. These are true southern boys who are clearly becoming enthralled by American roots rock. It is interesting that Rich is riding along with this, as he tends to be the harder rocker, but his hard riff side is nicely balancing Chris' more melodic hippy approach.
I have to admit also, that there are times I really miss Marc Ford's heavier hand. There are times when Luther relies to much on some meandering slide and his preponderance of finger picking seems to limit his ability to add a more heavier sound. WHich is really his Mississippi Allstars sound. However, on this disc it works splendidly. It seems a but more nuanced than Mark's heavier stuff without sacrificing the needed edge. But I do still miss Ford. He is the perfect fit with Rich's style.
I will give it another spin at the pool tomorrow and really soak in the acoustic stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-26 13:36 by whitem8.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 27, 2009 12:42

I've been listening to Before the Frost.. for a couple of weeks now and must say it's still growing on me. When I first listened to it, I had the feeling I had finally bought an album that would rank up with my favourites, but now I'm sure it already does. (The last one was Eels' Blinking Lights & Other Revelations).

The sound, the songs, Chris' voice, the guitars, the epic song, everything. No, it's not new, the sound is not fresh, but it all makes sense. It's the inevitabel follow up to last years Warpaint. That was a nice collection of songs (some great, some not so great), Before the Frost... is a great ALBUM.

And they're proud of it, just take a look at their latest setlists. The core of them is made up by the new songs. Here's a band that still records new songs and will play them live.

It will probably take years for I listen to another album that gives me the feeling that I just bought a record that will last for a long time.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 27, 2009 23:51

VoodooLounge13
You know, I listened to Before the Frost by itself for a long time (over a week straight) and loved it opening with Good Morning Captain. Then I got Until the Frost and listened to that a few times thru before I put the whole double album in its vinyl order, and I must say, what a COMPLETELY different album it becomes at that point. I think I like it better opening with Good Morning Captaion, BUT mixing up the songs I think definitely gives it much more of a EOMS feel. Great mix of styles on this one. I still haven't tired of it.

What is the vinyl order?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 28, 2009 02:01

There is NO WAY Drive-By Truckers are considered a jam band. That's for the lame shits like Widespread and Phish - the most banal boring pathetic tripe all in honour of the Grateful When.

Date: September 28, 2009 02:14

skipstone
There is NO WAY Drive-By Truckers are considered a jam band. That's for the lame shits like Widespread and Phish - the most banal boring pathetic tripe all in honour of the Grateful When.

you need a fresh supply of marijuana, skippy....

Date: September 28, 2009 02:18

I've heard them all and have heard live shows and there is no way DBT falls under the lame ass jam band term! DBT is about songs, not about wanking like WSP and that goddamned Phish.

Date: September 28, 2009 02:29

and make sure you inhale....

Date: September 28, 2009 10:31

I was a big fan and have seen them a few times. I thought they were fabulous apart from the tendency to go into long, rambling jams on occasion. The first two albums I loved but after that I found them to be good rather than great. I haven't bought any of their post hiatus stuff until now.

Thanks to all the people who recommended this album. I downloaded it (legally!) last night and sorted it into the album running order. I've only played the first 30 mins or so but I like what I've heard.

I realise that I have missed out through downloading from Amazon as i didn't get the "detailed cd booklet with color artwork and lyrics in the form of an Adobe PDF to assemble for insertion into a jewel box". Anyone got it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-28 10:56 by Braincapers.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 28, 2009 11:43

I also went off them after the first two albums. I thought Amorica and Three Charms And A Snake were poor comparatively. But a mate lent me By Your Side which I thought was amazing especially the first track Go Faster - one of the best, highest energy tracks I've heard for absolutely ages. Lions wasn't too bad but they really returned with Warpaint. And the latest one is their masterpiece, their Exile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-20 15:35 by Silver Dagger.

Date: September 28, 2009 11:46

skipstone

are you slagging the grateful dead?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 14:27

Silver Dagger
I also went off them after the first two albums. I thought Amorica and Three Charms And A Snake were poor comparatively. But a mate lent me Be Your Side which I thought was amazing especially the first track Go Faster - one of the best, highest energy tracks I've heard for absolutely ages. Lions wasn't too bad but they really returned with Warpaint. And the latest one is their masterpiece, their Exile.

You know, Silver Dagger, not that I ever went off of them, but I did tend to follow your rationale here for a long time, and I still think that Amorica is their weakest album, but Three Snakes has really grown on me over the years, but I can definitely see where you'd think those two were lesser after the first two. By Your Side was a definite return to form, and Lions is a great album. For me personally, I don't think Warpaint is quite all that everyone here seems to make of it. Some great songs on it, but some equally bad songs as well - it's just not as consistent as say the latest album. But I would recommend giving Three Snakes another spin - it too is a grower!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 28, 2009 14:47

I'll haul Three Snakes out of the rack tonight in that case Voodoo. Cheers.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 28, 2009 15:19

VoodooLounge13

You know, Silver Dagger, not that I ever went off of them, but I did tend to follow your rationale here for a long time, and I still think that Amorica is their weakest album, but Three Snakes has really grown on me over the years, but I can definitely see where you'd think those two were lesser after the first two. By Your Side was a definite return to form, and Lions is a great album. For me personally, I don't think Warpaint is quite all that everyone here seems to make of it. Some great songs on it, but some equally bad songs as well - it's just not as consistent as say the latest album. But I would recommend giving Three Snakes another spin - it too is a grower!

Amorica is a wonderful album. And its also the first true Black Crowes album. As much as I love the first two, I can't deny they sound more conventional. Amorica together, with Snakes, Band and most of Lions represent the BC being themselves. The way the songs are built, the single riffs, the sounds: 100% Black Crowes. By Your Side is good, but didn't add much. Frost and Freeze brilliantly combine BC's most traditional roots with their best original ideas.

Give Amorica a second try, but play it loud.

As for the jam band discussion, definitely the BC are no jam band.

C

Date: September 28, 2009 17:55

Quoted Ronnie. So, yes.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 29, 2009 12:41

liddas
VoodooLounge13

Amorica is a wonderful album. And its also the first true Black Crowes album. As much as I love the first two, I can't deny they sound more conventional. Amorica together, with Snakes, Band and most of Lions represent the BC being themselves. The way the songs are built, the single riffs, the sounds: 100% Black Crowes. By Your Side is good, but didn't add much. Frost and Freeze brilliantly combine BC's most traditional roots with their best original ideas.

C

Yep, very loud. Gone is a terrific opener!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 29, 2009 14:09

liddas
VoodooLounge13

C

More conventional? How can anyone say that Amorica or Three Snakes or Lions sound anywhere near better than Southern Harmony? That was a modern day masterpiece at the time, the likes of which they really haven't come close to again until Before the Frost...It's really all just a matter of personal taste...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 29, 2009 14:33

VoodooLounge13

More conventional? How can anyone say that Amorica or Three Snakes or Lions sound anywhere near better than Southern Harmony? That was a modern day masterpiece at the time, the likes of which they really haven't come close to again until Before the Frost...It's really all just a matter of personal taste...

Well, I do believe that Amorica is their best album. But as you say, that's personal taste. My point was that if the Crowes made an album of covers of their personal favorites it wouldn't be that different from Southern Harmony. In fact when you listen to any given song of that album you say, "great, it reminds me of ... " . With Amorica the band's music, the songwriting, the riffs, structure of the songs, everything is Black Crowes. Yes, the influences are still there, but that's it.

C

Date: September 29, 2009 14:42

To me Amorica is their stunning masterpiece. Gorgeous and created among the ruins of the brother's relationship. Masterful playing and some incredible grooves. I love Harmony as well. But Amorica edges it out by a hair.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 29, 2009 19:39

I thought Before the Frost was fantastic. Still soaking in Until the Freeze (seems pretty mellow...and country...upon first listen).

Date: October 12, 2009 00:44

Did anyone get the CD booklet as part opf their download?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: October 12, 2009 01:15

Braincapers
Did anyone get the CD booklet as part opf their download?
Yes it came downloaded with the music, about 4 pages think.
I need some more ink as the pages I printed are so faded you can only just about read them .
Will try again later in the week

Date: October 12, 2009 03:02

Yes, I downloaded from Apple and it included a digital book. With credits on both discs.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 12, 2009 07:35

whitem8
To me Amorica is their stunning masterpiece. Gorgeous and created among the ruins of the brother's relationship. Masterful playing and some incredible grooves. I love Harmony as well. But Amorica edges it out by a hair.

whitem8, I agree, you stated that perfectly...in fact I'd go as far as to say Amorica is more of their Exile than Before the Frost is...although that is a good album...better than Warpaint.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: October 12, 2009 07:43

Thanks Rattler:-) Yeah, I agree with you, Amorica is their Exile.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: October 12, 2009 18:18

Yesterday I listened to the album for the first time and I'm surprised at how amazing it is.Those people comparing it to Southern Harmony are mostly wrong.This one is much better and way more mature sounding record.I also find Luther Dickinson's playing much more to my liking than Ford's.

I still haven't listened to Until The Freeze though but I expect it to be just as good.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home