Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Video moment - Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World
Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 23, 2009 05:29

Wow...what a fantastic collection of videos. Mind-blowing stuff. Especially interesting is the later-day stuff from the 90's (Gimme Shelter from Paradiso and Jumpin' Jack Flash from Bremen) showing without a doubt that the Stones were still killing into their old age...sh*t...hot stuff indeed!

The description by the great Urban Steel of the Bremen JJF video as "A Giant Dirty Wall Of Rock 'N' Roll" is HALL OF FAME stuff!!! THIS would be the greatest name ever for a Rolling Stones live album...book it...sold!

But the subject of the post is "a defining moment on video that for you solidifies the fact that the Rolling Stones were, are and always will be, the best freaking band in the universe"...well then I have to say that the moment when that fact hit me like a kick in the Solar Plexus was while I was still a young pup and the Stones were the Big Bad Wolves of the rock and roll scene...catching Gimme Shelter at the movies at the age of 12 felt illicit and exciting and very edgy...I didn't dare tell my parents. I always loved the Stones' singles but had never seen them live and had yet to buy an album (which I did right away after viewing the film - Ya Ya's of course).

I was riveted to the screen...they were beautiful and ugly and very dangerous and funny and nasty and narcissistic and completely the coolest cats on earth...and the defining moment...the moment when I just went over the moon...when I got a shot of wild electricity...when I couldn't help but dance in my seat...when I realized that here was a force of nature and that I was hooked, sold, over and out...when I knew Jagger was Lucifer (look at his pas de deux with his red scarf...teasing it and throwing it as if it were a jitterbugging flame around his neck)...the moment when it all hit home...was this...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 23, 2009 05:44

Geez, TOTR-I was the same age--same vibe with that movie--I felt like I'd been given a peak into this dark circus world of luscious mayhem-I may have to rethink my entry smiling smiley

this movie (for me viewed on WNET public TV in NYC) was evidence that beyond those songs on the radio, there were these flesh and blood characters in the world called the Rolling Stones under whose sway I'd never escape -

YOUR ENTRY WAS AWESOME - BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 23, 2009 13:19

Turn up your bass because Wyman is playing AWESOME bass!!!!
Ian McLagan, Stu, Ernie Watts, my favorite line up at there peak.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-23 13:27 by Wuudy.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 23, 2009 15:17

the satisfaction & Gimme Shelter clips from 1969 are my favs !

Start Me Up is another classic - tongue-in-cheek Jagger performance...hilarious!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 23, 2009 15:29

Wuudy

Turn up your bass because Wyman is playing AWESOME bass!!!!
Ian McLagan, Stu, Ernie Watts, my favorite line up at there peak.

that's why I (we should) miss Bill!

no offence to Darrylsmiling smiley

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 24, 2009 03:04

Indeed, Rik, nothing wrong with Darryl but Bill's playing was just phenomenal, the perfect fit!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 24, 2009 08:46

Great playing, and I wish they gave Bill more camera time.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 24, 2009 12:08

Turd on the run, your post is awesome! Thanks for putting into words what many of us
experienced, but only a few could write.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home