Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Voodoo Lounge - 15 years on
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 21, 2009 16:29

Probably my favourite of the latter-day albums - only track I don't ever enjoy is Suck On The Jugular. And of course there are all those Brew/Stew/Residue outtakes to relish. My main gripe, after listening to the instrumental tracks, is that several of them deserve much better lyrics than they eventually got (You Got Me Rocking and Sparks Will Fly in particular).

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 21, 2009 16:31

Yes, there are some very good outtakes, especially Honest Man and Zip-Mouth Angel!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 21, 2009 16:49

I loved the album & the tour. Great setlist. First Stones show that I took my wife (then girlfriend) to...but our seats sucked.
We saw them Camp Randall Stadium (UW) in Madison, WI. We were half way up the grandstand at the 50 yrd line....great
for football not for a Stones fan.

Also...had no knowledge of the setlist prior to the show...so lots of great surprises.
I was very happy to see Shattered and MemoryMotel live.

And Jagger's haircut was better.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 21, 2009 20:47

I still enjoy it. I was 16 when it came out and I LOVED it then, and it still holds up for me though I am more turned off by some of the filler like "Jugular" and silly attempts at bad boy posturing like "Sparks Will Fly" and "Brand New Car".

But the album definitely has its merits. "Love Is Strong" and "You Got Me Rocking" were 2 of the strongest rockers they done in over a decade, Keith delivers 2 bonafide masterpieces, "Moon Is Up" is a nice, kind of late-60s styled mover, and "Out Of Tears" is a fine ballad. This album also features some of Mick's strongest vocals an any Stones record, IMO. And I am a little surprised at how many people here dislike the production - the guitars are loud and in your face, the drums are thunderous, and I personally like the little touches such as harpsichord, harmonium, etc.

But yes, it could have been MUCH better at 10 or 11 tracks. "Jugular" is embarrassing, we didn't need "Sparks" AND "I Go Wild" both to fill the stadium rocker slots, "Brand New Car" sounds like something a 16 year old would write (though the guitars and horns are nice), and "Baby Break It Down" is just a good chorus that goes nowhere.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 21, 2009 20:53

a little love here for jugular, bnc, and igw - three best trax on an otherwise lackluster affair....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 21, 2009 20:56

Yeah, I really like Wild and Car.

Date: August 21, 2009 21:02

so little love for jugular...great groove...some of mick's best harp playing...okay, throwawy lyrics, but it's a friggin' dance number....and charlie rarely sounded better....not sure what gives....

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 21, 2009 21:09

I've long held the view that 'Out Of Tears' wouldn't have sounded out of place on any of the 'classic' albums.

Personally love 'Baby Break It Down'.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 21, 2009 21:10

StonesTod
so little love for jugular...great groove...some of mick's best harp playing...okay, throwawy lyrics, but it's a friggin' dance number....and charlie rarely sounded better....not sure what gives....

Wild guess - different tastes? ;-)

Date: August 21, 2009 21:15

mofur
StonesTod

Wild guess - different tastes? ;-)

that would apply to igw....try a sucky guess....

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 21, 2009 21:39

StonesTod

The song sounds funky to me and funk, as far as I can see, seems to me to be a celebration of complacency at worst and dance music with a rubbish rhythm at best. As you rightly say, the lyrics are throwaway but aren't they always when it comes to funky stuff?

I used to know people who were into funk and their usual comment about this kind of music was "Great bass line". Give me strength, if that's all they can muster in the way of praise, then it says all you need to know.

I remember showing one of them a picture of Bootsy Collins in a music paper. The tasteless over-the-top clothing he was wearing (typical of your '80s funkster) prompted me to say, "This is the man who makes the music you love. Portrait of a genius!"

The only track I've ever heard (by anyone) that has an element of funk in it and is acceptable to my ears is Undercover of the Night. You can't call that complacent. Well done the Stones for achieving the impossible!

Let's face it, there is nothing better to dance to than rock 'n' roll.

Having said that, each to his own.

Evenin' all.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 21, 2009 22:54

imo this is the best album they've done since early mid eighties till now.
really REALLY dug RJ and others from abb tho.

i feel that they were all in for this one...creatively connected...the production and percussion and fullsome character of a lot of these songs are really refreshing to me...i love the diversity and the tracklist order too. this album works as an album to me, even tho i consider 'sparks' kinda very very 'stones-lite' in a way, comparatively speaking....i go wild, moon is up, out of tears almost funny caricature but hey it works for me!!! brand new car...
sorta between the buttonsish in it's kinkian majesty and diversity and some really heartfelt writing. the worst, Brand New Car, sweethearts together, blinded by rainbows, baby break it down...even love is strong (best stones video ever) and u got me rockin' are kinda strong in their way....
New Faces, especially for the dry remote stick uppa the butt Jagger, very tender aned giving and wistful and totally beautiful....brian jones shudda been on this album, in a way, come to think of it, he kinda was....
love VL....just judgin' it as it comes and came, and not comparatively , hopefully not too much comparatively w other stone lps
first one completely without bill. iy think they were creatively inspired and kinda wanted to 'start fresh and fertile' so to speak ahem...for this 'new' rhythm section etc....
not the best stones album. maybe not even the fifth or seventh best stones album....(oooh there i go comparing....) but a lovely lp with punch imo

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 21, 2009 23:10

Can't beleive some people don't like Brand New Car, to me this is classic Stones.

I never really cared for You Got Me Rocking, I go Wild or Out of Tears..

To me they really seem like Stones by the numbers and not very creative. All in all I would say its my favorite later Stones album. The b-sides are great as well. I think the band really had a creative period from 93-95, including solo work and the Stripped sessions.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 22, 2009 01:51

StonesTod
micks godawful vocals nd the monkeys on backup dont help. suck on the jugulaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar lol

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 22, 2009 02:12

Better than Steel Wheels, Dirty Work and Undercover for sure. Some missteps (the lyrics for the rockers), but some gems (Thru and Thru, The Worst, Baby Break it Down, Moon Is Up).

I agree though, Wandering Spirit was and still is the best output from any of them post Tattoo-You. I was hoping for a great fusion between Main Offender and Wandering Spirit. While the overall sound was good, it felt a bit too contrived.

I like it best of all the group efforts since Tattoo You though.
Two songs on Bridges outshine VoodDoo Lounge (Saint of Me, Out of Control), but the rest of B2B is just more of that generic, forgettable direction first found on VooDoo Lounge. For that matter, nothing on ABB outshines the highlights of VL or B2B.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 22, 2009 02:19

wandering spirits has it's moments for sure...
but imo just RJ from abb powers up and out so beautifully.
just an immense warm hot exciting fully warm sounding ferocious stones track.
and, to mah joy, from the very last release...

dont tear me up and ESPECIALLY the majestic soaring "evening gown" from WS, quite agree that they're amazing sounding and luscious and with EG really really brilliant ly written song...all kudos...

but rj just rips up everythin' else on ws imho...
and i liked the production dimension and stuff on vl...
think of all those little percussion things all over some of the tracks...
darryl makes a pretty good sonic entrance on the bottom, all things considered as bill is/was such a flat out original giant in that position...

evening gown a total classic...like to hear it right before a chiming ringing blasting version of rj....charlie opens up on that one like , well, dynamite.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: August 22, 2009 15:41

Love the sound of the album. A few good tracks.

But it is overlong, too much filler.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 22, 2009 16:45

Yes! Now we are talking Great allbum. Great tour. DJ on tour! Didn't miss Bill at all. Still don't.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: August 22, 2009 17:03

I`m very surprised with so high asssesment of Wandering Spirit between Stones fans.Don`t you hear differences between tasteless , ordinary one dimensional guitars on Jaggers album and Richards/Wood guitar work?Even poorest Stones song has classy guitars with really sophisticated sound.Acustics , electrics , they have spirit and taste.Back to subject - VL has one poor element for me - it is Daryll`s bass.That`s why swing has gone i`m sorry.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: August 22, 2009 17:25

Ronnie plays great on this album, Keith background vocals sound good as well... but overall I think this record is not the record they really wanted to make. Steel Wheels is a better album than Voodoo, Wandering Spirit is a better album than Voodoo... Don Was attempt to make this Exile like double album could have been the problem. I also think Bill Wyman could have made this record WAAAAAAY better with his bass playing, and I feel it, you can't ignore the fact that old Bill was an essential part of this band.

Albums best track... The Worst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-22 17:31 by Loudei.

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 22, 2009 17:40

I'll be listening to the remastered version tonight. I hope it's better than I remember!

Date: August 22, 2009 17:40

Slick
StonesTod
micks godawful vocals nd the monkeys on backup dont help. suck on the jugulaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar lol

i'm as critical of many of mick's latter-day vocal personas...but this one he employs on jugular is great, imo.

still haven't heard the definitive argument against this song...who among us isn't inspired to get up and dance or suck or something when this comes on?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 22, 2009 17:42

August 15th 1994, Giants Stadium, my very first stones' concert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-22 23:21 by Harm.

Date: August 22, 2009 17:44

StonesTod
Slick
StonesTod

i'm as critical of many of mick's latter-day vocal personas...but this one he employs on jugular is great, imo.

still haven't heard the definitive argument against this song...who among us isn't inspired to get up and dance or suck or something when this comes on?
I will give this one another chance but I recall Mick's vocal was ABSOLUTELY horrid.

Date: August 22, 2009 17:52

glencar
StonesTod
Slick
StonesTod

I will give this one another chance but I recall Mick's vocal was ABSOLUTELY horrid.

maybe it's gotten better with age

Date: August 22, 2009 17:54

I'm hoping the remastered version will show improvement.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 22, 2009 18:42

Love Is Strong - Great tune even if it's too slow and a typical Stones tune - a continuation of Wicked As It Seems and One Hit, which was later followed with Lowdown and It Won't Take Long. GOOD.

You Got Me Rocking - I actually liked this when it was new. I thought the lyrics were funny. Over the years it's become a bit of a nod, as in time to take a nap. Nice guitar work from Ronnie though. CRAP.

Sparks Will Fly - Keith talked like he was inspired for this one but I don't hear it. It's fast though so that's really the only reason it works. Nice guitar work from Ronnie. Still...CRAP.

The Worst - Finally something good that's pretty damn good. Again, nice guitar work from Ronnie! GOOD.

New Faces - CRAP

Moon Is Up - Very cool. A bit off the beaten path. GOOD.

Out Of Tears - Killer. Probably the best lyrics on the album, even if they are a bit sappy. Compare this to Always Suffering or better yet Streets Of Love and this is like Loving Cup or Wild Horses. Fantastic guitar work from Ronnie! EXCELLENT.

I Go Wild - I've always liked this tune. Nice guitaring in it from Ronnie. Hilarious lyrics. GOOD.

Brand New Car - Cool tune. Yeah it's silly - I think that was the point. GOOD.

Sweethearts Together - Some nice guitar work but that's it. CRAP.

Suck On The Jugular - Hilarious. They should have more fun like that, not take themsevles so seriously. Pedestrian but entertaining. GOOD.

Blinded By Rainbows - Nice song music wise. I like it when Mick sings about Lucifer, not Jesus. So stick this one with Saint Of Me - CRAP.

Baby Break It Down - Nice tune. GOOD.

Thru And Thru - Cool idea. It's just that Keith doesn't seem to know how to edit anything. Too long. I've found myself not liking this song but remove that aspect, the length of it, and it's actually a good song. GOOD.

Mean Disposition - Silly throwaway song they can do in their sleep. But the essence of it is sort of a back to basics track. GOOD.

B-sides
Jump On Top Of Me - Good.
I'm Gonna Drive - Good.
The Storm - EXCELLENT.

So 10 songs get a good/excellent from me, which fits right in with what other peole have said - if it was a shorter album...and I agree. Hell, put the B-sides on for the shit songs and it's still a better album.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 23, 2009 03:40

I remember how excited I was when Voodoo Lounge came out. (I had been in the Caribbean and actually met Mick Jagger - a gentleman - in Barbados while they were preparing the tracks for the album. The entire island was abuzz.) I had such high hopes.

When I heard the first chords of Love Is Strong I got an immediate kick...I felt it to be essentially their best single track since the days of Tattoo You. It immediately grabbed me...it had that bone-deep, inexplicable Stones feel that I hadn't heard in years. What a track! Charlie laid down such a killer groove and Keef's rhythms were so thick...Jagger's vocals were spectacular...all the best attributes of the band jelled into this one track...their best single since Start Me Up and a real corker. The video was actually absolutely awesome...still one of the best rock videos ever made. Utterly superb. So I thought...here we go...the Stones are back in killer shape...this is gonna be fun.

The first 8 tracks flew by and I was in love ( Charlie is SUPERB )...7 tracks still left and I felt like - though there were some songs that were not up to the standards of LIS or The Worst - the feel was eclectic and loose and very Stonesy in a Between The Buttons meets Steel Wheels kinda way...I just knew the last half of the album would be spectacular...this would be the modern day Exile...this would be an album that takes its place along with their best work (Jagger's and Richard's latest solo works had raised the stakes and expectations).

Well...I have never felt such a precipitous drop in song quality on a Stones album as what I heard on the last half of Voodoo Lounge. In my opinion the album inexplicably hit some wall after 8 tracks or so and ran out of steam, delivering filler song after filler song. Thru and Thru was the only track of the last half of VL that lived up to the first half. The only one. Most of the tracks sounded like they could be outtakes from Jagger's last solo album. I was completely shocked and let down!

To add insult to injury...the B-Sides ended up being superb...Jump On Top Of Me (kills Brand New Car...essentially the same song only 10 times better), I'm Gonna Drive, The Storm...these tracks fit and belonged on the album. If the Stones had simply put these three tracks as tracks 9,10, and 11 and closed with Thru and Thru (which I agree should have been edited to a shorter version) VL would deserve its reputation as a Grammy-winning comeback (though not as an album that stands with their best work - perhaps a notch below).

I read interviews with Jagger after the album was released and he kept bitching about how the original intention for VL was much looser and funky and experimental. He was not happy...which always made me wonder how a superstar control freak like Jagger allowed himself to be voted down!!!! A loss for us fans.

As it stands, I think Voodoo Lounge is vastly over-rated and I listen only to the first 8 tracks and Thru and Thru and I completely skip the rest - it is an utterly schizophrenic album...the first half is wonderful, the second half mostly treading water and banal...and then the B-Sides are excellent. Go figure. Another missed opportunity...more so because all the building blocks for a top-shelf later-day Stones album were really there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-23 08:29 by Turd On The Run.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 23, 2009 03:48

VL is the stones best work since TATTOO YOU IMO

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 23, 2009 06:16

Turd On The Run
I remember how excited I was when Voodoo Lounge came out. (I had been in the Caribbean and actually met Mick Jagger - a gentleman - in Barbados while they were preparing the tracks for the album. The entire island was abuzz.) I had such high hopes.

When I heard the first chords of Love Is Strong I got an immediate kick...I felt it to be essentially their best single track since the days of Tattoo You. It immediately grabbed me...it had that bone-deep, inexplicable Stones feel that I hadn't heard in years. What a track! Charlie laid down such a killer groove and Keef's rhythms were so thick...Jagger's vocals were spectacular...all the best attributes of the band jelled into this one track...their best single since Start Me Up and a real corker. The video was actually absolutely awesome...still one of the best rock videos ever made. Utterly superb. So I thought...here we go...the Stones are back in killer shape...this is gonna be fun.

The first 8 tracks flew by and I was in love ( Charlie is SUPERB )...7 tracks still left and I felt like - though there were some songs that were not up to the standards of LIS or The Worst - the feel was eclectic and loose and very Stonesy in a Between The Buttons meets Steel Wheels kinda way...I just knew the last half of the album would be spectacular...this would be the modern day Exile...this would be an album that takes its place along with their best work (Jagger's and Richard's latest solo works had raised the stakes and expectations).

Well...I have never felt such a precipitous drop in song quality on a Stones album as what I heard on the last half of Voodoo Lounge. In my opinion the album inexplicably hit some wall after 8 tracks or so and ran out of steam, delivering filler song after filler song. Thru and Thru was the only track of the last half of VL that lived up to the first half. The only one. Most of the tracks sounded like they could be outtakes from Jagger's last solo album. I was completely shocked and let down!

To add insult to injury...the B-Sides ended up being superb...Jump On Top Of Me (kills Brand New Car...essentially the same song only 10 times better), I'm Gonna Drive, The Storm...these tracks fit and belonged on the album. If the Stones had simply put these three tracks as tracks 9,10, and 11 and closed with Thru and Thru (which I agree should have been edited to a shorter version) VL would deserve its reputation as a Grammy-winning comeback (though not as an album that stands with their best work - perhaps a notch below).

I read interviews with Jagger after the album was released and he kept bitching about how the original intention for VL was much looser and funky and experimental. He was not happy...which always made me wonder how a superstar control freak like Jagger allowed himself to be voted down!!!! A loss for us fans.

As it stands, I think Voodoo Lounge is vastly over-rated and I listen only to the first 8 tracks and Thru and Thru and I completely skip the rest - it is a completely schizophrenic album...the first half is wonderful, the second half mostly treading water and banal...and then the B-Sides are excellent. Go figure. Another missed opportunity...more so because all the building blocks for a top-shelf later-day Stones album were really there...

That's a strong stance, and a good observation. But again, it goes back to that much-agreed upon opinion that it could have been a GREAT album if a few filler tracks were shaved away. The first 8 songs, plus say 'Thru and Thru', 'Mean Disposition', and perhaps 'Blinded By Rainbows' or 'Baby Break It down'. Could have been a strong as hell album from start to finish. That is how I choose to listen to it anyway, as a 10 or 11 track album. Once in a while when I am really bored and looking for something 'so old it's new', I might play 'Suck on the Jugular' - but rarely. But I agree, the first 8 tracks FEEL like a consistent album, like Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed. And it just kind of falls apart in the last few tracks. Oh well, there's enough good material there to mine out a great album, more or less.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home