Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Glyn Johns Demo Ya-Ya's
Date: August 15, 2009 17:32

I am not sure if there has been a thread devoted to this already; if so I apologize. But I have had this one for a week maybe, but only now got around to listening. IMO this is very hot. It makes me realize that Ya-Ya's was smoothed out a good bit; homogenized for an official release. The guitars are louder, and all round just hotter and more violent. E.g. certain entrances by Taylor are announced by feedback; so not only is it louder but cockier. The crowd in between songs is louder.
I also noticed that on JJF e.g it seems like they actually took Taylor's guitar OUT for the final release. He originally noodles around on top .
I am right now digging Midnight Rambler, and the guitars are MUCH harder. The snare and Bass are very punchy. As great as Ya-Ya's is, I wonder if this is even better.

Update - I see that GJ did some editing to SFTD too. He takes out TWO verses: the short second verse, and the "I watched with glee" verse.
But MAN is that rhythm machine cooking under the solo-ing guitars! This is always counted among one of Taylor's great solos on his SG, but I think I like Keith's Les Paul solo early on even better. I think GJ even shortened Taylor's section a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-15 17:54 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: Glyn Johns Demo Ya-Ya's
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 15, 2009 17:53

of course there's a thread about it... Erik_Snow originally uploaded it..... I can't find it though...

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: August 15, 2009 18:42

Amused
of course there's a thread about it... Erik_Snow originally uploaded it..... I can't find it though...

love to hear this. Anyone know where it is? Urban Steel's page??

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 15, 2009 18:47

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 15, 2009 19:08

Palace Revolution 2000

Update - I see that GJ did some editing to SFTD too. He takes out TWO verses: the short second verse, and the "I watched with glee" verse.
But MAN is that rhythm machine cooking under the solo-ing guitars! This is always counted among one of Taylor's great solos on his SG, but I think I like Keith's Les Paul solo early on even better. I think GJ even shortened Taylor's section a bit.
I think Keith plays a Dan Armstrong on SFTD.

Date: August 15, 2009 20:38

ChrisM
Palace Revolution 2000

I think Keith plays a Dan Armstrong on SFTD.

Oh yeah, of course; what was I thinking? Matter of fact I am always impressed at how sharp the Armstrong sounds in the GS film, right when Jagger is trying to get Keith to shut up.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 15, 2009 20:46

Is this out there on mp3?
Please don't flame me for asking....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 15, 2009 21:02

Date: August 15, 2009 21:06

Thanks, Scottkeef!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 15, 2009 21:08

It's too bad that all these recordings aren't put on a torrent, it's so much easier to share it that way then to download the songs one by one, with annoying waiting times.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 15, 2009 21:18

They must have been up on a torrent site, Eric Snow usually puts his stuff on torrents; the link I provided above leads to Urban Steel's FLAC upload in one file, you only have to wait ONE MINUTE!!!

Date: August 15, 2009 22:19

I agree,Rank! I get em in FLAC too but it is nice that Jos puts em up in both formats for those that want em.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 15, 2009 23:21

Rank Stranger
They must have been up on a torrent site, Eric Snow usually puts his stuff on torrents; the link I provided above leads to Urban Steel's FLAC upload in one file, you only have to wait ONE MINUTE!!!

Ah, I didn't see that one - thanks!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 16, 2009 01:07

It's on Hungercity and well-seeded cool smiley

Date: August 16, 2009 03:53

Are there any opinions on this release?

Date: August 16, 2009 05:18

I love having this acetate cause its in such better condition than the "@#$%& Your YA YAs Out" source. I really havent compared them(the acetates) side by side to see if theres any difference in the mix BUT I think the acetate mix kicks the legits ass IMO. The only strange part to me is how CAROL starts out-it seems a bit muddy at first. I love the lead guitar work on JJF thats missing from the released version and really dig how high in the mix Keiths harmony vocals are on Little Queenie!

Date: August 16, 2009 07:59

Palace is right on. I'm listening to this right now. It's amazing how in your face the guitars are.

I just listened to "Live With Me" from here and the "released." The chords (I assume Taylor's) that are going on in the left channel starting at :08 are MUCH louder than the released. The song has an even more intense bite. Lordy, the whole album sounds even more rock and roll than it always has. How do you make the greatest live album better? Well, here 'tis.

I thought it was just Ronnie who got mixed lower on live albums, but this suggests it was happening back then too.

I love the Taylor noodling on JJF. I wonder if we'll be lucky to get any of this back on the remaster....

Wow. I'm sure most of you digested this months or years before, but if you have any doubts, download this sucker.

T@3

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: August 16, 2009 09:34

Is this the same thing as "Alternative Ya Yas" that starts with a Robert Johnson jam in the dressing room with Tina Turner and ends with two versions of SFM?

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 16, 2009 12:37

its not Taylor noodling - it is a Keith overdub.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 16, 2009 15:30

love the mix...love keith's bvs on LQ, but do not love the JJF guitar solo. I think they made the right choice for Ya Yas on that...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 16, 2009 15:35

john lomax

Is this a fact or a qualified guess? Any proof around?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 16, 2009 15:51

i agree - it's definately Keith.

probably Mick & Keith were the only ones in the studio doing the overdubs...

Date: August 16, 2009 16:44

I dont really know if its Keith or MT on JJF but I do know on quite a few live tapes there was lead guitar being played on JJF. Weird- some had more than others. Just go back and listen to various tapes of shows and you will hear it!

Date: August 16, 2009 18:45

So, if that's an overdub, and Keith is playing the main riff, what was Taylor playing? Was he playing the same riff?

Date: August 16, 2009 19:51

In 69 he plays sort of counter rhythm on chords. In a way - the 69 combo of Taylor and Keith was better than later on because Taylor did a LOT more chording, and Keith still had as many solos as Taylor. great team.
But there is one or two East Coast 69 shows where it is Taylor who solos a little in the JJF intsrumental break. Maybe Boston.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 16, 2009 20:03

rootsman
john lomax

One recognizes the lion by its paw. THe solo if unquestionably Keith...

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: August 17, 2009 01:45

rootsman
john lomax

It´s a 100% Keith trademark in-your-face Chuck Berry style solo. Taylor simply doesn´t play like that.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 17, 2009 13:56

Ok, I agree that it is Keith playing the (overdubbed) solo on the acetate version of JJF.
However, on (some) other live versions from the tour, it seems that MT is playing solo.
Maybe Keith thought he could do it better for Ya-Ya´s!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: August 17, 2009 15:10

MT did often solo towards the end of this song in 1969 (as in the film Gimmer Sheletr version), but Keith is playing this solo overdub during the middle/bridge, whilst both MT and Keith are playing chords at this point in the song.

It's an unusal mix, this acetate... the songs are sometimes in mono.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home