Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Singing/Talking Thru the Harmonica Mic
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 14, 2009 00:39

In the sake of trying to come up with something different to discuss...

We are all familiar with the famous "don't do that..." on Ya-Ya's version of "Midnight Rambler", which is spoken thru the harp mic. How many times can we identify Mick using this mic for his vocals in other performances?

Re: Mick Singing/Talking Thru the Harmonica Mic
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: August 14, 2009 00:59

Since at least Licks (probably before), someone at the sound desk just adds some processing to Mick's wireless mic when he puts the harp to it, and every now and then you do catch a distorted "yeah" or something during MR as a result of not being quick enough on the button.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 14, 2009 01:01

"Still A Fool"?...just a guess

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 14, 2009 01:31

Love Is Strong - a lot of that if not all of it, from what I recall reading, was done for the vocal.

Date: August 14, 2009 02:46

On Ya-Ya's "Rambler" it's not so much the "Don't do that" that get me; it's that fast rapping he does; not much up front, but I know everyone here knows it well. I always imagine that he is talking to the audience.
There is a section in one of the older books ( I think) it is the grey Dalton book, where he is writing about the Stones on stage, and Jagger is motioning to some chick "Do you like me? Do you want me?", and she shakes her head, and then Jagger points at Keith and goes "What about him? You like him?", and she still says no, and then Jagger goes "Well f*ck you, we don't want you anyway.." I am paraphrasing but that is the gist. Anyway - that is what I imagine is happening in that MR part.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 14, 2009 09:31

Parachutte Woman for sure! You can hear Mick making Sonny Terry style whoops through the bullet mike...great harp on that song!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 14, 2009 10:09

Not Fade Away, Halloween show Oakland 1994...goosebumps!

Date: August 14, 2009 12:12

Had It WIth You! Priceless grinning smiley

Date: August 14, 2009 12:19

The '99 live versions of "Out of Control"; coupled with Keith's 'brown' sound.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 14, 2009 16:33

tommycharles
Since at least Licks (probably before), someone at the sound desk just adds some processing to Mick's wireless mic when he puts the harp to it, and every now and then you do catch a distorted "yeah" or something during MR as a result of not being quick enough on the button.

Since '89 Jagger's microphone is routed through a Boogie master amp backstage when playing harp. It's considered Jagger's trademark tone.

In the 70's he would just use the vocal microphone for harp, and when talking through the harp you get this distorted tone. Best example is MR Brussels '73 I guess.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-14 19:18 by Mathijs.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 14, 2009 17:21

:22 and 1:38...

... and i wouldn't recommend operating heavy machinery while listening to this one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-14 19:20 by Natlanta.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: August 14, 2009 19:14

As far back as '89, eh? I had no idea. Thanks for clearing that up.

Date: August 14, 2009 19:52

Mick uses a Bullet mic through a Fender Champ in the studio, which is routed through the board twice. Live he has said that he just plays through the mic, there is no amp.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 28, 2009 14:11

Palace Revolution 2000
On Ya-Ya's "Rambler" it's not so much the "Don't do that" that get me; it's that fast rapping he does; not much up front, but I know everyone here knows it well. I always imagine that he is talking to the audience.
There is a section in one of the older books ( I think) it is the grey Dalton book, where he is writing about the Stones on stage, and Jagger is motioning to some chick "Do you like me? Do you want me?", and she shakes her head, and then Jagger points at Keith and goes "What about him? You like him?", and she still says no, and then Jagger goes "Well f*ck you, we don't want you anyway.." I am paraphrasing but that is the gist. Anyway - that is what I imagine is happening in that MR part.

Interesting story I didn't remember .Thanks.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 28, 2009 14:37

skipstone
Mick uses a Bullet mic through a Fender Champ in the studio, which is routed through the board twice. Live he has said that he just plays through the mic, there is no amp.

Are you sure? Jagger's studio harp sound sounds nothing like a bullit through a Champ.

All I have heard is that he uses a vocal condensor either directly through the board or through the Boogie. His harp sound on Like a RS and Love IS sure is through the boogie.

Mathijs

Date: August 28, 2009 21:12

Just going by what Mick said he uses in the studio that I read in some guitar magazine. He did not say that he leaves the amp on 10 all the time, just that he uses a Champ. He did not mention any other kind of amp. I believe at the time that was around Steel Wheels or Voodoo, a while back, so who knows. I have not read anything since then about what he uses. I do recall him saying he just plays through the vocal mic live but maybe that has changed as well since then. He talked about that in some TV interview for Steel Wheels I believe.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 28, 2009 22:25

Fancy Man Blues

has 'harp talk'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home