Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Their Satanic Majesties Request Should Have Been A Masterpiece
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2009 16:35

It appears Child of the Moon wasn't finished in 67, so including it is a bit iffy yah know!?

Opening the album with We Love You and then having Citadel come slamming in right after would make for a powerful album introduction. First impressions last, so tis good to whack folks over the head with some solid opening tracks. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 16:47 by His Majesty.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 11, 2009 18:19

Turd, seek out Mickboys "Satanic Majesties". He took more liberties with this one than the others by restructuring the line up that winds up very similiar to yours. The sound is also great and has some bonus tracks like the MONO 45 mixes of Dandelion/We Love You and an isolated track of We Love You to highlight the backing vocals(and you can REALLY hear John and Paul this way!). Before everyone jumps on me I dont think that everything MB touches is gold but when he gets it right its very good!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 18:49

the mono version of TSMR paks a punch while the stereo version has too much seperation

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 11, 2009 19:06

I agree there and the MONO singles are even hotter than the MONO albums(on all of em but thats just my opinion!)

Date: August 11, 2009 20:05

Great sequence baxlap. The only one I don't like is the closer. The closer of an album like this chnages everything; changes the weight of the song, and the identity of the album. E.g. had they ended with "the Lantern" we'd be looking for a lot more meaning in that song. I think "2000 Lightyears" should have closed this album. And "Lantern" in it's place. But what a Side A you got. Cool.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 11, 2009 20:46

The MONO version is a must have , agree with you!

HMNwinking smiley

HMN

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 11, 2009 21:32

Yes, Satanic is underrated.

Great track list, Turd On The Run! (Even though the finished version of Child Of The Moon is from 1968)

I totally agree that it´s a much better album without In Another Land/Sing This All Together(See What Happens)/On With The Show.

(Maybe Sing This All Together should be left out as well...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 22:35 by rootsman.

Date: August 11, 2009 22:46

The more I think of it (listening right now!) there´s 8 great tracks:

We Love You
Dandelion
Citadel
2000 Man
She´s A Rainbow
The Lantern
Gomper
2000 Light Years From Home

It´s also fun to play these in shuffle/random order!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 11, 2009 23:33

Could not agree with you more.Always wondered about Child, Dandy, We Love U, maybe even JJ Flash as an inclusion

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: August 11, 2009 23:39

DiamondDog7
Long time ago I've found a site only about Their Satanic Majesties Request. It was about the album cover and the tracks on the album. I've lost the site. Does anyone know which site it is and the URL?

It was a norwegian site, but now it's down
[www.godgammeldags.nu]

Date: August 12, 2009 02:50

Yes Christian - I thought that was the site he was talking about. I used to LOVe that site. The writer had some...outlandish theories, but the site was SO WELL done. Every album had it's theme page. The factual info was great. Interpretations...

Re Satanic - I want to say that the opening track "Sing This All Together" is one of those songs that in memory loses luster. But every time I am actually listening to it play, I notice what a good song and production it is.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 12, 2009 04:58

Palace Revolution 2000
Re Satanic - I want to say that the opening track "Sing This All Together" is one of those songs that in memory loses luster. But every time I am actually listening to it play, I notice what a good song and production it is.

STAT is a very good song and a great intro to Satanic.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 12, 2009 16:10

How and why is it that some people here continue to think that Child Of The Moon and Jumpin' Jack Flash should have been on Majesties? We Love You and Dandelion, yes. So Moon was possibly started during TSMR. So was Start Me Up during Black And Blue. Yet no one thinks that should be on that album, it should be on Some Girls.

Although it would make the album "better" with We Love You and Dandelion on it (even though it's a straight forward tune where as nothing on TSMR is) it still stinks because of Sing This..., Lantern, Gomper, Land...

Can't shine a turd.

What you can do is not step in it. So there is no having Majesties be a masterpiece. And who would want a masterpiece of the Stones imitating another band - poorly - at that time?

It's rather obvious.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: August 12, 2009 16:22

I think Majesties imitates the Piper at the Gates of Dawn more than Sgt Pepper. Besides how can the album not start with that spectacular orchestral fart! See What Happens absolutely kills what's essentially album. Also poorly produced. J/R didn't know what the hell they were doing in the chair yet.

Date: August 12, 2009 16:35

"Satanic" is NOT an imitation of "Sgt Pepper" or any other album/group!!

It is of it´s time (the psychedelic/experimenatal 1967) - when will people understand this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-12 17:04 by rootsman.

Date: August 12, 2009 16:59

skipstone
it still stinks because of Sing This..., Lantern, Gomper, Land...

Can't shine a turd.

Hey you get off of my psychedelic drug addled cloud! smoking smiley grinning smiley

Date: August 12, 2009 17:22

<it still stinks because of Sing This..., Lantern, Gomper, Land...>

I like The Lantern. Gomper is a joke, imo.

Date: August 12, 2009 18:29

Eh, The Lantern has some interesting guitar work in it in a dumpy way.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 12, 2009 18:36

skipstone
How and why is it that some people here continue to think that Child Of The Moon and Jumpin' Jack Flash should have been on Majesties? We Love You and Dandelion, yes. So Moon was possibly started during TSMR. So was Start Me Up during Black And Blue. Yet no one thinks that should be on that album, it should be on Some Girls.

Although it would make the album "better" with We Love You and Dandelion on it (even though it's a straight forward tune where as nothing on TSMR is) it still stinks because of Sing This..., Lantern, Gomper, Land...

Can't shine a turd.

What you can do is not step in it. So there is no having Majesties be a masterpiece. And who would want a masterpiece of the Stones imitating another band - poorly - at that time?

It's rather obvious.

I completely disagree with your premise that you can't shine a 'turd'. Being a turd myself, I should know what a turd is...and, as I write in my post, Their Satanic Majesties request - though a difficult album to fully embrace in its released form - with a little 'shining' and 'polishing' could have (should have) been a psychedelic masterstroke. Try the track listing I theorized and give it a shot. You'll be surprised. It really hangs together.

Child Of The Moon was recorded in July and October of 1967 - months before the album's release. As I write in my original post, with a little focus and concentration this track could have been ready to go for the album release, (remember...this is all theoretical, yet plausible) and it would have fit perfectly on the second (sunset) side of the album. It is the mirror image of side one's She's A Rainbow.

Furthermore, I dissent profoundly from your opinion of songs like Lantern, Sing This Altogether, and Gomper as "turds". In the context of the album and the times, they are alternatively enjoyable, absorbing and even amusing. The Stones may have been not been the creative wellspring for the psychedelic movement, nevertheless they created a body of work at that time that, if properly culled and sequenced, could have been harvested for an iconoclastic and uniquely engrossing album.

So, yes, in my opinion Their Satanic Majesties Request could have indeed been a masterpiece.

Date: August 12, 2009 18:46

Ahhh, confoundedness, Turd!

You are very entertaining and have thoroughly pointed out the hilarity of TSMR. You are correct - you can shine a turd. The problem with that is...well, it doesn't get shiny.

Well, with your assumption of all things possible/theoretical for TSMR then I do hereby declare Start Me Up, Hang Fire and Too Tough along with the rest to go on media player/iTune/whatever versions of Black And Blue, which quite ramps up that album (way more so than TSMR), especially if you take into consideration that, like Child Of The Moon being started on during Majesties' sessions, they started on Hang Fire and Too Tough so...

Hot Stuff
Hand Of Fate
Hang Fire
Slave
Cherry Oh Baby
Memory Hotel
Too Tough
Hey, Negrita
Melody
Worried About You
Fool To Cry
Start Me Up
Crazy Mama

My EP version of TSMR is much better and more in line with your version with the exception of some of the shiners ha ha ha...

We Love You
Dandelion
Citadel
2000 Man
She´s A Rainbow

Now that's one hell of an EP.

Date: August 12, 2009 19:02

skipstone

My EP version of TSMR is much better and more in line with your version with the exception of some of the shiners ha ha ha...

We Love You
Dandelion
Citadel
2000 Man
She´s A Rainbow

Now that's one hell of an EP.

Ay tis, but ep's are a pain in the ass when you're tripping. eye popping smiley

Posted by: straycat58 ()

I always considered this album one of my fav. ever. I wouldn't change anything of it as I listened so many times that a single modification would be a cramp to mt stomach.

But I have a suggestion for people that still don't appreciate it:

Don't listen to separate tracks; this album should be listened complete, from the first note of side A to the last of side B. The listener should do an effort to enter in the groove of this album and I'm certain that you'll find that every single track has moments of intense beauty although none of them surclass the others.

This is like classical music, sophisticated, must be listened with attention, not at the juke box of the pub.
It's an album in which, everytime I listen to it, I find a detail I didn't get the previous time. Superbe.

Posted by: T&A ()

i like it fine the way it is....maybe with some fries, but that's it....

Date: August 12, 2009 19:14

straycat58

This is like classical music, sophisticated, must be listened with attention, not at the juke box of the pub.

Hmm, thats a bit eavy man...

I see it more as a piece of experimental fun, something to have on whilst you smoke a joint, sit back and lose yourself in the music.

I don't smoke though so I tend to just sit back and get lost in the music without the joint. cool smiley

Some small nip and tucks here and there and perhaps the inclusion of a couple of the outtakes and this album would have been viewed far more favorably.

Were they trying too hard or did they not try hard enough!?

Anyway, it's cool enough as it is, especially when one takes in to consideration what was going on in their lives at the time it was being written and recorded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-12 19:15 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 12, 2009 19:23

skipstone
Ahhh, confoundedness, Turd!

You are very entertaining and have thoroughly pointed out the hilarity of TSMR. You are correct - you can shine a turd. The problem with that is...well, it doesn't get shiny.

Well, with your assumption of all things possible/theoretical for TSMR then I do hereby declare Start Me Up, Hang Fire and Too Tough along with the rest to go on media player/iTune/whatever versions of Black And Blue, which quite ramps up that album (way more so than TSMR), especially if you take into consideration that, like Child Of The Moon being started on during Majesties' sessions, they started on Hang Fire and Too Tough so...

Hot Stuff
Hand Of Fate
Hang Fire
Slave
Cherry Oh Baby
Memory Hotel
Too Tough
Hey, Negrita
Melody
Worried About You
Fool To Cry
Start Me Up
Crazy Mama

Mr. skipstone that coulda been my next post....yes...that is one heavy mothaphucka of an album...a nonpareil rip-snorting riff-fest - one of the top 10 albums of the 1970's...goddamn what a disc! Post it on a separate thread and let's go at it! Here is my track listing (and I do it as a proper LP, as it would have been released, with proper sides and 'feels' for each side - none of this digital disk track listing sh*t):

Side One: (hard & fast grooves)

Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Slave
Hand Of Fate
Too Tough
Crazy Mama

Side Two: (funky & slow grooves)

Hot Stuff
Hey, Negrita
Cherry Oh Baby
Worried About You
Fool To Cry
Memory Hotel

*Bonus CD track: Melody

Wow. Life as it should have been...not as it was.

Date: August 12, 2009 19:25

Ah yeah, now that is a different way of looking at it. It's more like Tattoo You that way ha ha!

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: August 12, 2009 19:37

His Majesty
straycat58

Hmm, thats a bit eavy man...

I see it more as a piece of experimental fun, something to have on whilst you smoke a joint, sit back and lose yourself in the music.

I don't smoke though so I tend to just sit back and get lost in the music without the joint. cool smiley

Far from my intention to open a thread about associations between kind of drugs and stones tracks, let me say that TSMR was expected too be listened with LSD and not with a joint. Not a stupid point if you consider that LSD causes opposite effect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-12 21:54 by straycat58.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 13, 2009 20:43

What was done in the initiating post was to add the singles of the year to the album - something today common. The early US releases follow that "modern" pattern more than the Uk ones and when they were rereleased widely discussed which albums are the better ones. I think it is fair to think about "chronological" rereleases in some day of the future.
But think about the other way around: If Street Fighting Man had been a hit in summer 1968 it would not have been on Beggars in winter. What would have been its replacement?
And: Which sings would you have released as singles taken from the no-singles-albums?!

Date: August 13, 2009 21:07

How about a thread for what we think the albums could have been - hence Aftermath with the UK and US differences plus B-sides, comp tracks etc as well as how Beggars could have been different, Bleed, Sticky, Exile, Soup, etc....

That would be cool!

It would/could shed light, in a debating way as well as learning just what exactly was done/finished or intended for what album...how the albums could have been (or even, based on our own thoughts, ha ha, how they should have been). I have a version of Let It Bleed that is way different than the actual release, as well as Fingers, Exile, Soup, Some Girls, Tattoo You, Steel Wheels, Flashpoint, Voodoo, Stripped - as far as officially released tracks go. Even with NOT having some of the tracks, like Save Me/Criss Cross Whoever - which I had but lost - such a shame - great tune - that was officially released in Japan as I seem to have read but I got from Napster, of all places - sure sounded finished to me. I have all of my versions listed as, for example, Let It Bleed V2, for version 2.

I dunno. It's a lot of fun. Sure, it changes the integrity of the original album but, see, that still exists, so it makes it even that much more interesting to give it a twist or two...

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: August 13, 2009 21:14

these two ep's not on any other boots yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EP Glimmer Twin Rekords

- 2000 Light Years From Home: A child's voice singing opens this one with boat sounds, wind blowing, and seagull sound effects. This is in mono, and the introduction segues from the sound bites to the opening musical lines of the track in a mixed and not spliced fashion, so this was done with some effort which gives it some credibility.

- The Lantern: A mono track missing right channel electric guitar...very suspicious

- In Another Land: This is unusual. There is a second melody going on in the song. It sounds similar to having the radio and TV going at the same time. It's not dissonant, but there's a noticeable undercurrent of sound. The track is in stereo, and the secondary melody is mixed into both channels.

Extended Play

- She's A Rainbow (Acid Version): A carnival calliope introduction with gun shooting effects and airplane sound effects in the left channel during the instrumental breaks in the song.

- Citadel: A mono instrumental...again suspect

- Sing This All Together: Announcers, crowd noises, cannons firing intro. This is in mono and missing left channel horns.

Several of the EP tracks have an "acetate sound" to them that could be legitimate experiments with different sorts of sound bites similar to what was used on the intro. of the TSMR version of She's A Rainbow.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2092
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home