Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT. Is this the end of U2?
Posted by: gerrox ()
Date: July 28, 2009 10:42

so after all these years, being a dubliner and at a gig of some type most weekends, I went to see the last of the u2 dublin shows last nite. friends I'd brought to the stones wanted me to see how 'wrong' i was and that u2 are simply the best. amusing as this was i didnt mind the 35euro tic price. And I will never go again. all as i expected, pristine, mainstream, corpo rock which obviously appeals to many folk. a front man more full of himself than would be thought possible. the stage is pretty over hyped too... so i could blather on but it was clear to me they just come no where near anything the Stones have (who to many may also be pristine corpo rock but they have the tunes and so much more..)

the end for u2? no. they will remain that fly forever buzzing in your face, (tiny squeak voice)look at me look at me look at meeeeeeeee. bzzzz

ugh, SWAT!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 28, 2009 10:44

Isn't it an article of faith amongst members of big bands to proclaim how they "don't want to go on forever"? Well, no one expects them to go on "forever". But I do recognise it's their career and source of income. Something they are unlikely to give up at the drop of a hat or simply because they don't want "to end up like Stones". What?! You mean you don't want to drip out a succession of CDs for a few more decades while making more and more money from touring?!

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 28, 2009 12:39

pgarof
Just read an article about U2, they are saying they they don't want to go on like the Rolling Stones and this will proberbly be their last tour. They say they don't want to go on like The rolling Stones into their sixties and iunless they can come back with an even bigger tour they don't want to do it any more at least for a few years.

I wonder???

How about filling us in on the source Pgarof (what magazine, what article) . I ain't buying this jive for a second...... no such article/no such statements - POST IT ALL PLEASE (link or actual article).....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2009 12:43

Is this the end of U2?

Well mum said I never had a chance wiv-a-gal named Bozo....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 13:47

HelterSkelter

How about filling us in on the source Pgarof (what magazine, what article) . I ain't buying this jive for a second...... no such article/no such statements - POST IT ALL PLEASE (link or actual article).....

Exactly my thoughts. Or actually - I can imagine that such thing appeared in some magazine. It is normal these days that "journalists" just make up things like that. Or other stories. The information is worthless

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 28, 2009 14:16

timbernardis
as soon as i saw the thread title, my thought was "i hope so"

and who do they think they are, making remarks about the stones like that?

They're not. They're making a remark about themselves. There's no 'criticism' about the Stones whatsoever.

Some people seem to be a bit over-sensitive!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 28, 2009 22:03

From Mirror.co.uk Celebs page

Will U2 call it a day after Dublin gigs?

U2 have made a secret pact to take their longest ever break from music. So the foursome - with a combined age of 192 - want to make this weekend's shows in their Dublin hometown the greatest ever.

A source revealed: "They are treating it as their last live shows in Ireland and have talked about taking a few years off - they can't go on forever. "If they can't come back with something bigger and better then they won't come back at all.

"The Rolling Stones have kept going out on the road even in their 60s but Bono and The Edge don't want to be doing that. This will be an emotional time for the band and for their fans in Ireland."

U2's 360 degree tour has already sold out dates around Europe and America and the band are as popular as ever. More than 240,000 fans will attend their three Dublin concerts this weekend.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 29, 2009 00:13

There IS a God!!!!

But then, Bono thinks HE is God.

Maybe there are TWO Gods?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 29, 2009 07:13

Sounds a little like someone we know stating that he'd rather be dead than singing Satisfaction at 40!
If there is $$$ to made U2 will be back on the road. How else could Bono fund all his political interests?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 29, 2009 10:06

pgarof

The title itself says it all. Only a truly professional journalist can write an article with such title about a band with tour dates planned for another 1,5 year (I know that the next year is not relally planned yet, but who would doubt?). The only purpose of this article is to sell the article and to earn a coulpe of cents to the one who wrote it. I don't get it how people can buy and read such magazines. If they didn't all this bul....t would not exist. Don't get me wron pgarof, I don't mean this against you...smiling smiley I still have to insist that the information is completely worthles. Well, it obviously pleased a lot of people here, so it is not completely useless...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-29 10:08 by Happy24.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 29, 2009 14:34

pgarof
From Mirror.co.uk Celebs page

U2 have made a secret pact to take their longest ever break from music. So the foursome - with a combined age of 192 - want to make this weekend's shows in their Dublin hometown the greatest ever.

A source revealed: "They are treating it as their last live shows in Ireland and have talked about taking a few years off - they can't go on forever. "If they can't come back with something bigger and better then they won't come back at all.

"The Rolling Stones have kept going out on the road even in their 60s but Bono and The Edge don't want to be doing that. This will be an emotional time for the band and for their fans in Ireland."

U2's 360 degree tour has already sold out dates around Europe and America and the band are as popular as ever. More than 240,000 fans will attend their three Dublin concerts this weekend.

THANKS PGAROF !!!

Well, if you ask me they are already acting like they've had it and want to stop. It's a "going through the motions" tour and album, no spark, nothing new. Their last tour (Vertigo) went on FOREVER but at least it had great songs and a great stage. This is going to be a long one.

My advice? Get in the studio with Rick Rubin and put out a double CD "cruncher" - the music they already put down with Rick + new stuff - that rocks the shit out of anything they've ever done. Keep the stupid stadium shows but instead of adding more take the rest of the shows back into the arena's where U2 do much better. A beautiful new arena stage without the ugly giant monster, a new set list with a lot of the Rubin songs, new energy, positive outlook, and we've saved the whole effing tour 2009 - 2012 !!!!

Posted by: zeb ()
Date: July 29, 2009 16:40

A dirty PR-thing.
Its so U2!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 29, 2009 21:43

Happy24
pgarof

The title itself says it all. Only a truly professional journalist can write an article with such title about a band with tour dates planned for another 1,5 year (I know that the next year is not relally planned yet, but who would doubt?). The only purpose of this article is to sell the article and to earn a coulpe of cents to the one who wrote it. I don't get it how people can buy and read such magazines. If they didn't all this bul....t would not exist. Don't get me wron pgarof, I don't mean this against you...smiling smiley I still have to insist that the information is completely worthles. Well, it obviously pleased a lot of people here, so it is not completely useless...

I don't really care either way, it is just something I get through e-mail every day from different papers, i thought it may have been some interest. I do think that U2 have made some great music over the years but i have never seen them live. There set on Live aid was brilliant and i have seen a few videos of them, as for them touring again, don't care if they do or not.

Date: July 29, 2009 22:15

I would imagine this quote has got less attention on a U2 board than it has on this one!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: July 30, 2009 00:17

Are there enough U2 fans to sustain a board lol?

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: July 30, 2009 00:20

FrankM
Are there enough U2 fans to sustain a board lol?

True, their ticket sales are so bad and most of them are over 60 anyway, so I cant imagine theyd have many people posting on fan sites.....tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: July 30, 2009 01:00

I hope U2 will evaporate away. I can't stand them!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 30, 2009 01:04

Aw, nobody luvs Bono.

Date: July 30, 2009 01:38

LOL

C'mon. That pic isnt like him at all.

He's playing guitar.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 30, 2009 03:44

Finally we have the quote, thanks pgarof!
So they didn't make any comments on the stones so people here jumped to the conclusions once again! We should know by now that they love the stones. Just look at Bono in Being Mick or Edge his comment here

I must say that if they made that statement I really admire them for it. They only want to continue if they can come up with interesting stuff instead of just continue because they can.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 30, 2009 03:59

no matter what happens to U2 after this tour they have done all of this with all original members, i know that does not mean alot to some people here but i think it is a heck of an accomplishment, and i do think they will without a doubt tour again, not even an issue

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home