Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT. Is this the end of U2?
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 26, 2009 22:49

Just read an article about U2, they are saying they they don't want to go on like the Rolling Stones and this will proberbly be their last tour. They say they don't want to go on like The rolling Stones into their sixties and iunless they can come back with an even bigger tour they don't want to do it any more at least for a few years.

I wonder???

Re: OT. Is this the end of U2?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 26, 2009 23:02

pgarof
unless they can come back with an even bigger tour they don't want to do it any more at least for a few years.

They won't tour again for a few years regardless of what kind of tour they come up with next time. They ALWAYS take a few years off between tours.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 26, 2009 23:51

NO big lose!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 26, 2009 23:56

sounds like something a band would say to get people interested in them again. i haven't listened to anything they've done since the early 90's

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 26, 2009 23:59

ghostryder13
sounds like something a band would say to get people interested in them again. i haven't listened to anything they've done since the early 90's

But it's not like they need any help selling tickets. The shows are all sold out, aren't they?

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:10

i dont like their music, so they could quit tomorrow

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:12

pgarof
Just read an article about U2, they are saying they they don't want to go on like the Rolling Stones and this will proberbly be their last tour. They say they don't want to go on like The rolling Stones into their sixties and iunless they can come back with an even bigger tour they don't want to do it any more at least for a few years.

I wonder???

Ticket sales must be slow. And didn't their last album underperform - even by today's standards?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-27 00:12 by Nikolai.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:24

U2 are in the middle of a successful world tour playing lots of new songs and lately the most exciting news item regarding
the Rolling Stones has been the release of an edited version of Star Star on the 2009 edition of Goats Head Soup.
Keep on rockin´in the free world!!!

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: July 27, 2009 01:14

One can only hope. I'm tired of all these corporate arena rockers, their shows have all gotten too big. Rock n Roll is supposed to be more intimate, anything bigger than Madison Square Garden is just too much, and even that is questionable.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 27, 2009 01:18

Finally, I agree with something U2 says.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 27, 2009 01:36

Famous last words. I hate to think how many acts have "retired" and then the next thing you know they're back on a new tour. The words "probably", "unless" and "at least not for a few years" in the U2 statement conveniently allow a get-out, which just about says it all.

Date: July 27, 2009 02:06

What will Adam do?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 27, 2009 03:12

Slow ticket sales? Corporate rockers who get too big? Underperforming cd?

There have been posts here about there record breaking attandences for there concerts, there cd is a huge hit and the previous two tours they deliberately stayed in arenas not bigger than the madison square garden too keep the "intimate" feel.

Funny quote of them though if they said it would possibly be there last tour because I always heard them say they want to continue for as long as they can but only if they can come up with good stuff.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 27, 2009 06:21

Palace Revolution 2000
What will Adam do?

He'll hang with Bill W.

But seriously,it is just PR, hype.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 27, 2009 06:28

they will tour again yada yada yada, what else can they do?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 27, 2009 07:39

as soon as i saw the thread title, my thought was "i hope so"

and who do they think they are, making remarks about the stones like that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-27 07:42 by timbernardis.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 27, 2009 07:42

Palace Revolution 2000
What will Adam do?

WWJD?

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 27, 2009 10:43

Of course they wont last as long as the Stones, I don't think is their choice, they just haven't realise yet (and this is strange) that what the Stones have accomplished is UNIQUE. The fact that they are capable of selling out stadiums do not put them in the same league as the Stones.

I really don't think that Bono is humanly capable of doing what Jagger has been doing for so long. What I find a bit stupid is the "they are saing" part. Who's THEY? was this an official communiqué? Was it Larry?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:02

A clever (?) way to boost slow sales on the NA market? "For the very last time in your town, U2! Don't miss them!!!"

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:12

pgarof

I wonder???

It could be interesting ,pgarof ,if you could add the web link or the title of the magazine.Was the source a musical one ? I am sorry to say that but I really don't see U2 ready to quit ,especially after the huge sucess of their last tour.
an even bigger tour
What could be bigger ? it's already what I call immoderation....

But The U2 gigs are delivering an estimated euro50 million ($70 million) boost to Ireland's recession-ravaged economy, with most Dublin hotels booked solid for weeks. Even the Dublin Criminal Court shut down jury deliberations for the weekend because too many jurors had U2 tickets.

Nonetheless, Ireland's descent into double-digit unemployment could be seen in the stands. Several thousand seats remained empty — the first non-sellout of a U2 gig in Dublin since 1980.

[www.google.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 27, 2009 13:17

I remember Gene Simmons also said he didn't want to end up like the Stones, old hippies still touring. That comment was made about 10 years ago. At present Kiss is making a new album and touring. I assume the same for U2. Anyway Bono is getting a little out of hand with the preaching for my taste. I used to be a big U2 fan, but they're not exciting to me these days. Maybe they'll step it up on the next album/tour.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 27, 2009 15:31

What I like about U2 is that they have the balls to play 4 new songs as the opening songs at a gig as they did in Milan recently. That takes guts and conviction in the material you write. Just goes to show that currently U2 are more relevant as a band. Something the Stones seriously lack in.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 27, 2009 15:46

With NLOTH at #76 this week in Billboard and supposedly a new album already in the can and awaiting release for next year and this year's tour to do I'm sure the only thing for now is the set list.

I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to go on as long as the Stones - who wants to soak their fans for imitation? U2 are playing their new songs from their new album. They have yet to imitate themselves as far as representation as an active (meaning playing new material) touring band. The Stones have become The Beach Boys only in stadiums.

Had the Stones actually played the songs from Bang on the tour for the album maybe I and some others here would have a different opinion. But it's been 2 tours of old songs with one or two new songs thrown in. Sure, big back catalog - but does that mean you have to stick to one decade as the most represented?

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 27, 2009 16:18

pgarof

I wonder???

One can only hope.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 27, 2009 16:50

If we're lucky!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 27, 2009 17:25

skip got it right. Why do thay ALWAYS start with at least a few songs fromt he new album and then start to drop them? "Back of My hand" was fantastic in Fenway (opening show) only to be completely dropped. Recall when they dropped "Love is Strong" for "Sympathy" LIS was very cool live.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 27, 2009 17:26

I hate U2 & Bono with a passion and can't wait until they call it a day. Terrible band, terrible attitude.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 27, 2009 18:21

my immediate thought...bullsh*t......they are creating hype by acting as though
they might hang it up. a pseudo farewell tour.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 28, 2009 04:13

Maybe we should wait for a bit of confirmation about the "statement" until we see the actual interview...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 28, 2009 07:55

I believe Live Nation owns their ass for 10 more years. Live Nation controls U2's touring, Merchandising and website. They can do 3 more extravaganzas by 2019.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home