Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Thoughts as we approach 20th anniversary of Steel Weels album and tour
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 26, 2009 05:24

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 26, 2009 10:56

Thanks for the photo link, Vilhelm!

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 26, 2009 17:46

In 1975 it was raw and ragged, but I was seeing my favorite band for the first time, and I was the happiest person in the building.

In 1978, it was even more raw and ragged, without all the visuals and special effects, and, frankly, at the time, I felt they were more or less just going through the motions. It took listening to a bootleg of that show over the past year to help me realize that it was a much better concert than I thought at the time.

Funny how many factors there are in "enjoying" a show in addition to the music coming from the stage.....who you are with, where your seats are, whether or not there are idiots hopping up and down in front of you screaming, your overall mood and energy level that day, etc., etc.

Steel Wheels in Birmingham seemed like the band was saying "we need to get back on track as far as our song choice and live sound are concerned." Yeah, it was the beginning of the "Vegas Shows," more planned and formulated, less "dangerous" or whatever you want to call it.

But I've never heard the band better than that night in 1989 in Alabama.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 26, 2009 19:39

Palace Revolution 2000
Mickjaggeroo, it's incredible the way you guys have documented every show from '70 with great photos.
It seems that they lugged their own PA and lights and rods with them, since Chip Monck is around. Plus you can see the same setup in all shows.
A couple things that I saw: Jagger looks like he is wearing a good bit of make up only for Helsinki.
What baffles me about the PA etc is this: they have the rows of Ampegs. It looks like Keith has a couple, then there is Bill with his on that side. On Taylor's side he looks to have his two amps, then there is what looks like a speaker cabinet towards left, flanked by two more Ampegs. Would those be back-ups? Why would they be perfectly well placed in same spot for every show if they are just backups? Looks like they are in use.

But the stage volume had to have been through the roof with those huge amps. Keith does state that starting in 69 they had to relearn how to play on stage since the volume went down but with big amps like that they are going to crank them. They amps are all miked. I wonder if soundman actually had to take them out of the PA at times. There is the Stockholm show where it looks like it could actually be a small crowd only.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, it has taken us years to track down pics, and as you see, we´re not done yet, so anybody who has pics from any scandinavian shows, and is willing to share them with us (you get full credit of course) , please contact me.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: July 26, 2009 20:00

mickijaggeroo
Palace Revolution 2000
Mickjaggeroo, it's incredible the way you guys have documented every show from '70 with great photos.
It seems that they lugged their own PA and lights and rods with them, since Chip Monck is around. Plus you can see the same setup in all shows.
A couple things that I saw: Jagger looks like he is wearing a good bit of make up only for Helsinki.
What baffles me about the PA etc is this: they have the rows of Ampegs. It looks like Keith has a couple, then there is Bill with his on that side. On Taylor's side he looks to have his two amps, then there is what looks like a speaker cabinet towards left, flanked by two more Ampegs. Would those be back-ups? Why would they be perfectly well placed in same spot for every show if they are just backups? Looks like they are in use.

But the stage volume had to have been through the roof with those huge amps. Keith does state that starting in 69 they had to relearn how to play on stage since the volume went down but with big amps like that they are going to crank them. They amps are all miked. I wonder if soundman actually had to take them out of the PA at times. There is the Stockholm show where it looks like it could actually be a small crowd only.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, it has taken us years to track down pics, and as you see, we´re not done yet, so anybody who has pics from any scandinavian shows, and is willing to share them with us (you get full credit of course) , please contact me.
Stonesvikings is a very good site. It blows me away that literally every time I check into that site there has been a new show added; i.e. the photos from another show have been discovered. I have to be honest: it's the '70 and '73 shows that are the real juicy ones.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 26, 2009 20:50

We will hopefully soon add about 30 never before seen pics from Gothenburg 1982, And i will negotiatate after my vacation for more pics from Gothenburg 1973.
So check in from time to time!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 21:06 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: July 26, 2009 22:28

Ahh yes,I remember it well, that was the first time I saw them live.Bill Wyman was still in the band,the set list was among the best ever.I remember skipping school ,calling in sick from work and my whole family went together.That was a great family outing.I was in a state of bliss afterwards I made I sure I got my t-shirt,and played Steel Wheels constantly 'coz I knew they would play some material from the new album.I took some binoculars and a pen andpaper to write down the songs they played.My parents even let me take the next day off from school.When I went to school I proudly wore my shirt (everyone knew why I didn't show up at school for 2 days-I told them I had a Rolling Stones hangover).I also fondly remember drawing the tongue and lips logo and the Steel Wheels album cover design all over my binders.I recently bought the universal re-master and it sounds better than ever.Thanks for this thread mongoose it rocks!!thumbs up

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 26, 2009 23:53

My pleasure! Glad so many folks have positive memories of what I think was an important period of the band's history.

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: July 27, 2009 15:03

thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home