Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Best Song On Some Girls
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 26, 2009 04:04

Wow what an album. First, they change their production style to a more four on the floor, and crisp high end that makes the songs punk like. Then the songs, and their performances. I remember reading an article in Cream where the writer was astonished that they were harmonizing so good, "like sullied angles..." Right on. I mean you can hear Mick, Ronnie, and Keith up front in the mix with their harmonies, which is was one of the last times for that! The lyrics...well I gotta say I would rather have them singing about their lives now like they did then. some great poignant stuff about their loves and lives. And the duplicity of all the girls...
For me Beast of Burden is just incredible. From the great guitar intro, the lyrics, and Mick's pure soul singing on it. Miss you is the quintessential dance dirty r and b dance track. NOT DISCO! But great R and B...I prefer the extended version and wish they would have put that on the album and the shorter version for the single. Some Girls is nasty, bitter slow blues that just steams with venom, and some great guitars and harp. And Jagger's slow phrasing punctuated by his almost rap like rapid fire description of all the girls around the world. I do believe some of their best work comes from times in their lives where they are going through a shit storm...and this record just rises like a phoenix and reclaimed their spot on the World's Greatest Rock Band roster.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: July 26, 2009 04:17

Whole album is insanely great.

Shattered is my fav.

If you love Some Girls and don't have Handsome Girls get it. Should be in Hot Stuff somewhere and is my all time favorite live Stones. It has the best Miss you you'll ever hear!!!! Ronnie is on fire and it's 9 minutes long.

In fact if you include boots Handsome Girls is best album ever IMO. All 4 of them at their peak. Mick peaked in 81 : )

Had to upload the Handsome Girl's Miss You for those that have never heard it......hit play button youdon't need to download....you must listen to whole song and let it take you for a ride. Yes turn it up.

CD01track07.cdda.mp3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 04:31 by Markdog.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: July 26, 2009 05:43

Before They Make Me Run!!! MEZ

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 26, 2009 06:41

Probably Miss You. But what ruins Miss You these days are the live versions we hear. They never seem like they even try to get the same feel the song has on the album. That also goes for It's Only Rock and Roll, but that's a different topic.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: July 26, 2009 07:04

Ditto on both of those tracks Long John. Same with YGMR.

Date: July 30, 2009 12:10

Beast of burden
Lies
Before they make me run
Shattered

Date: July 30, 2009 12:39

Anyone who says this is a quickly done, kind of rough and tumble bunch of 3-4 minute rockers is very mistaken. Every time I hear the album, or just a cut I am amazed at the craft and quality of the songs,and the production and engineering. The guitars are tops.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 30, 2009 12:56

So true Palace. They really were working very hard. All of them together. Listening to production, tweeking vocals, rhythms, and adding a lot of subtle layers. One of their crowing achievement because it is all Glimmer Twins! From the writing, playing , singing and feel of the disc.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 30, 2009 14:53

I'd pick Before They Make Me Run followed by Respectable.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:49

Beast of Burden and Faraway eyes

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 30, 2009 18:25

It's a great album full stop. Does it equal their so called "golden period"? Yeah why not! Beast of Burden is the outstanding track though.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: July 30, 2009 21:30

Shattered is one of the very last completely original rock and roll songs ever written. The chord structure, the line structure, everything about it was utterly new. There had never been anything like it before, and hasn't been since.
tommy

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: July 31, 2009 23:45

Lies
Miss You
Respectable
Beast Of Burden
Faraway Eyes
Shattered
Before They Make Me Run

Good album,but it did take a while for me to like it.I was not impressed at first but Lies and Miss You I liked from the start.Especially the 12 inch extended version of Miss You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-31 23:52 by GimmieChris.

Date: August 1, 2009 00:16

whitem8
So true Palace. They really were working very hard. All of them together. Listening to production, tweeking vocals, rhythms, and adding a lot of subtle layers. One of their crowing achievement because it is all Glimmer Twins! From the writing, playing , singing and feel of the disc.

"adding subtle layers" - exactly.
I read somewhere in a review of the album where the writer told about spending the night at the studio watching Jagger and Keith alone all night tune Beast of Burden into this small masterpiece it now is. The vocals, adding and stacking the BU vocals. I can never hear BOB anymore without thinking about that.
Keith's guitar line in BOB is one of the best thing she has ever done IMO. The very first chord, the inflection of that chord that comes around again and again at the start of the phrase. The way the whole line slides in. because the chord starts on a high note syncopated a little before the beat.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 1, 2009 02:05

The entire LP was a fantastic compilation of tunes however, if I had to pick it would be ...

When the whip comes down

CBII

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 1, 2009 11:44

GimmieChris

Good album,but it did take a while for me to like it.I was not impressed at first but Lies and Miss You I liked from the start.Especially the 12 inch extended version of Miss You.

I was also hooked by "Miss You" only after hearing the 12 inch extended "jam" version. The album version did not first make much for me. Funny of that maxi single: while "Miss You" is extended, the b-side of "Faraway Eyes" is edited version (the guitar solo is kicked out).

Altogether SOME GIRLS is a delicious coctail of great songs. I remember Jagger commented the album as it was a kind of song collection they used to did a decade before... Maybe the song first really impressed me was "Before They Make Me Run"... But it took some listenings to really start digging the album - the sound was not so excellent after having used to clear brilliance of TATTOO YOU (my fisrt Stones album). It was a bit muddy, and the drums were buried somewhere there on the mix (but this is compared to TATTOO YOU!).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-01 11:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: August 2, 2009 07:34

Beast of Burden, Imagination

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 2, 2009 16:48

Unless it was mislabeled my 12" Miss You has the same length "Faraway Eyes" as the album 4:24. I never noticed any difference before but I guess I should listen to it again!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 2, 2009 18:35

scottkeef
Unless it was mislabeled my 12" Miss You has the same length "Faraway Eyes" as the album 4:24. I never noticed any difference before but I guess I should listen to it again!

Mine says 3:43!

- Doxa

Posted by: JK ()
Date: August 2, 2009 18:55

Doxa
scottkeef

Mine says 3:43!

- Doxa

I have 5 different ones which I just checked after reading the quoted posts.
I found out that I have one that says 3:43 and one 4:24. The three others don´t have a mention about the length of Faraway Eyes. I have never noticed this before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 18:56 by JK.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 19:05

Palace Rev,

Gotta agree with you about Beast. I've been attempting that on guitar lately and I'm constantly struck with the complexity and simplicity of the piece.

It's a such a simple thing but the layers of it are astounding. And as a ballad, it's got some of the most angry lyrics you'll ever hear. Brilliant reinterpretation of a standard form to create something that is right of of The Stones DNA.

And thanks, inopeng, for the post from YT; I'd never heard that before, and it really helps in getting my head around how to play this thing.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 2, 2009 21:07

Its the best hell raising Stones album, full of humor! all those songs have the same wise ass joking going on. Especially the title track.
I agree with Tommy about Shattered...I think the newness is in the instrumental bridge mostly, and the subject matter, including Yiddish expressions in a rock song.

one of my favorite lyrics is in 'Miss You' --'we gon' bring a case of wine' Jagger's inflection makes it clear how lonelier the singer feels, getting that phone call from 'some friends of mine'

Date: August 2, 2009 22:38

Like many of Keith's riffs, it is not difficult fingerings or speed. What impresses me is the idea of it. Once you are in Open G, and capoed in the 4th, the lick slides into place. But what on paper reads as E chord, and to come at it in this manner, is genius to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-03 02:08 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: August 3, 2009 11:25

SG is the stones album i like most! they sound "raw", loud guitars, and most of the songs are full of black humour! My ranking:
1. Shattered
2. When The Whip Comes Down
3. Beast of Burden
4. Respectable
5. Some Girls
6. Before They Make Me Run
7. Miss You
8. Just My Imagination
9. Far Away Eyes
10. Lies
But in fact for me it is very hard to say i like Whip more then beast - the ranking from 1 - 6 depends also very much from the mood i am in....the only song that i actually don´t like too much is "lies" - it sounds to me a bit "forced", there is no real anger, but just a pretended, faked one in the song...

Date: August 3, 2009 12:15

<Once you are in Open G, and capoed in the 4th, the lick slides into place.>

Which song are you talking about here?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 3, 2009 17:45

all of them

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 3, 2009 17:46

Beast Of Burden does it for me , personally.

It was the one song on that album that in particular, seperated the men from the boys.

The Stones, and only the Stones, could come up with something so utterly brilliant.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 3, 2009 17:59

squando
"Imagination" and "Miss you". Both brilliant on a great album with only Keith's number as filler my to ears .

How can anyone actually hate "Shattered". And I am awake - hence the typing. Great groovy, quirky little number that takes on a different (not worse) form when done live.

They really worked their harmonies on a couple of numbers - esp "Imagination" and "Faraway eyes". "She doesn't even knoooooow meh....." Great stuff.

P.S - Pity he sang it like a dick live in 1978 with the punk/English overkill "SHE DOESANT F*CKING KNOW MAR!!!!!"

I love the "doesn't f*cking know me" !

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 3, 2009 23:21

DandelionPowderman
<Once you are in Open G, and capoed in the 4th, the lick slides into place.>

Which song are you talking about here?

He's talking about BoB. I'm pretty sure it's standard tuning. But I suppose one could play it in open g. I'd like to see it.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: August 4, 2009 00:25

Some Girls is great. My favourite:

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2092
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home