Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 3-4 performers,who defined the decades
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 19, 2009 00:23

Nice one Mickschix............

50's-- Elvis, Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers
60's-- Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Beach Boys
70's-- Bowie, Roxy Music (BFe), Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Bee Gees, Abba
80's-- Michael Jackson, Police, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, U2,
90's-- Nivana, Pearl Jam, U2, (Seattle Sound) House
2000 -- Amy Winehouse and a lot of girl singers, Dance, Electro, and Shitty music

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 19, 2009 00:51

Yes, I actually agree MTAYLOR that Queen should be in the 70's for sure, just an oversight! U2 I think belongs in both decades simply for remaining so BIG for so long. NICOS, thanks and I agree with your Bee Gee and Roxy Music picks. I think Bryan Ferry is very under-rated. I LOVE Slave To Love and all of Avalon. I see you're not A WHO fan, NICOS....why not?? Just curious. I put TOMMY in the top 12 all time albums! A monster of creativity.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 19, 2009 01:22

Mickchix I agree with The Who's Tommy, I did bought the record back then and I love it, but I don't feel that they did defined the sixties or seventies.

We all named a lot of great acts that for sure put there stamps on the decades, but if you look trough the TOP40ties from all the decades, you see a different picture.

I won't go through all the decades, but let's take the early 70ties it was Abba, Mud Sweet, T-Rex, Bowie, Disco, Beegees, Eagles, Queen and a lot of local bands that where on the top40 lists.

Date: July 19, 2009 01:57

Well Nicos, I politely disagree strongly about the WHO. They were at the top of the crest of MODS in London in the 60's...you know the mockers and the rockers! LOL. The were headliners at the original Marquee Club and their Live At Leeds is a testiment to their power LIVE! If they never did another thing beyond TOMMY, Live At Leeds, Who's Next and Quadraphenia, for me, that's enough to earn their spot at the very top of all time 60's and 70's rockers. I have never heard of Mud Sweet??? Where are they from? Can you name some of their songs? As much as I don't like disco or Abba, I agree that they made their mark.Oh, and yes, T-Rex for sure...died too soon! I'm surprised you named ther Eagles! I happen to love this band but many folks here hate them passionately.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: July 19, 2009 02:22

Must be a bunch of Euro's on this thread because Oasis didn't make a blip on the music scene in North America.
Always seemed like 'wannabee's' of a band called the Beatles.

No insult, just the facts.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 19, 2009 03:56

50's-Sinatra, Elvis, Chuck
60's-Sinatra (in the early 60's he still defined the era), the Beatles, Stones, The Who (as Mods epitomized the swinging London image)
70's-Queen, Floyd, Zeppelin, Clash, Bee Gees
80's-Police, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, Guns and Roses (I'm not a fan of Rap to name an artist from the 80s to define)
90's-Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mariah Carey, Garth Brooks, Tupac

Now I don't necessarily like all of these artists, but they are ones who seemed to shape music in their respective decades.

Date: July 19, 2009 16:29

IIJLASH, That is exactly what Oasis is, wannabes. Poor imitations with egos that far exceeded any talent they may have had. Glad that you like my take on THE WHO, Happy Jack concerning the MODS.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2009 01:50

Happy Jack
60's-Sinatra (in the early 60's he still defined the era), the Beatles, Stones, The Who (as Mods epitomized the swinging London image)
80's-Police, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, Guns and Roses (I'm not a fan of Rap to name an artist from the 80s to define)

Now I don't necessarily like all of these artists, but they are ones who seemed to shape music in their respective decades.

You dont think Bob Dylan significantly shaped music in the 60's?

the whole Mod thing meant very little outside the UK.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 20, 2009 02:39

There are so many different solo artists and bands for genres that 'defined' eras. Commercially defined? Or more of a mood or kind of music defined? Social impact in terms of record sales, videos and show attendance?

1950's Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Frank Sinatra, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash

1960's The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Elvis, Janis Joplin

1970's Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, ABBA, Fleetwood Mac, The Who, The Sex Pistols, Bob Marley, Willie Nelson, Blondie

1980's Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, U2, Def Leppard, The Cult, Guns'N'Roses, The Cure, Jane's Addiction, Tom Petty, Ministry.

1990's Nirvana, Pearl Jam, U2, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tom Petty. Metallica, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones

2000's The Twentyhundreds have been essentially flat and devoid of new talent. The Beatles had a #1 album in the Twentyhundreds so... Drive-By Truckers, U2, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC...ha ha.

I don't know. Those are the artists that come to mind for me of various genres. I am not moved by so much of the popular crank out there like Phish, Dave Matthews, Oasis, all those full of themselves shitheaded 'bands'.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 21, 2009 01:15

For the 80's I feel compelled to add SLAYER!!!
You might not like them but they've definitely made a big big impression on countless zitty teenagers who felt the urge to start a band (much more influential than Metallica who went maintream rather quickly)

And how can you forget PUBLIC ENEMY?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-21 01:16 by dcba.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 21, 2009 02:42

50's -Sinatra, Elvis, Buddy Holly
60's - Beatles Dylan, Stones
70's - Bowie, Led Zep, Abba
80's - Springsteen, Madonna, MJ, AcDc
90's - Spice Girls, Take That, Oasis, Nivana
2000's - Foo Fighters, Mariah Carey, Take That, Eminem

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: July 21, 2009 06:11

60s

Stones , Beatles , Hendrix , Dylan

70s

Zeppelin , Kiss , Pink Floyd , Ramones

80s

Metallica , Michael Jackson , U2 , Guns n Roses

90's

Nirvana , Oasis , Pearl Jam , Pantera

00's

Kings of Leon , Arctic Monkeys , The Strokes , Children of Bodom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-21 07:10 by mexicostone.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: July 21, 2009 17:16

Right, the Stones in both the 60s and 70s. Why do most people limit their suggestions so that one band only appear in on decade? What's the problem? Too many TV series are like that to; the breakthrough decade is what counts; nothing later. You know, the Stones were greater performers in the 70s than the 60s.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 21, 2009 17:25

Gazza
Happy Jack

You dont think Bob Dylan significantly shaped music in the 60's?

the whole Mod thing meant very little outside the UK.

After I posted I realized I forgot Dylan. As for my choices, I guess I'm looking at it from todays perspective. So in that respect I think the Who were significant to shaping what is perceived as the 60's. Look at the Union Jack still being used as a piece of art, look at Austin Powers and then look at a picture of the Who in like 1966/67. That's where Im coming from. As Pete Townshend himself said during a song introduction on the American Tour of Quadrophenia in 1973: Being a mod England meant a lot more than just Carnaby street. But the Americans were still conscious of the Mod image in the mid 60's.

Date: July 21, 2009 19:57

Gazza, I live in the USA and I was very influenced by the Mods! The Mods influenced fashion ina BIG way here, for example Twiggy and all of those mini and micro-mini skirts. I agree with you,Happy Jack about Austin Powers and the influence of the Union Jack.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 21, 2009 23:15

um Stones not in the 70's You gotta be kidding me.

And as for the 80s/90/s2000s you could build a case as they changed everything about touring.

So basedon that they should be 60/70/80/90/2000

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 22, 2009 01:55

Finally An interesting thread. Good going Vanessa! Nothing to get excited about since Rockman's birthday.

50's Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino

60's Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, The Who, Bob Dylan

70's David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Zeppelin, Elton John

80's Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince

90's U2 Pearl Jam

00's Remains to be seen Mary J. Blige and Kanye West, to my mind, are worthwhile

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 22, 2009 16:35

blige and west. are you sick out of your mind!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 22, 2009 16:46

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Simon & Garfunkel/Paul Simon. Surely, S&G had a big impact on the 60's scene, and as a solo artist, his worldly music really helped to push that style into the mainstream I think.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: July 31, 2009 22:42

50's Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Ray Charles

60's Stones, Beatles, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan, King Crimson

70's Springsteen, Bowie, Led Zep, Queen, The Clash, Pink Floyd, Genesis

80's Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Smiths, Stone Roses, U2, Prince, Telephone

90's Pearl Jam, U2, Rage Against The Machine, Oasis

00's Daft Punk, Air, Kanye, Artic Monkey, Franz Ferdinand, to be continued...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 31, 2009 23:42

stonesrule
70's David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Zeppelin, Elton John

i think you are the only one to mention Elton in the 70's on this thread...he was arguably the BIGGEST act of the decade, defined in any number of ways....how soon they forget....

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 1, 2009 00:00

50's: Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Brenda Lee, Little Richard

60's: Stones, Moptops, Dylan, Hendrix, Petula Clark, Aretha

70's: Stones, Elton, Carole King, Bee Gees, Zep, Sex Pistols

80's: George Michael, Madonna, the 'boss', Flock of Seagulls

90's: Pearl Jam, Nirvana, REM, Madonna

00's: Katy Perry?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home