Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Leonard Cohen in Liverpool, 14/7/09
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 16, 2009 15:30

It had to be something very special indeed to keep me away from a Bruce Springsteen gig on the same night, but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity of seeing Leonard Cohen in my home city, even for the Boss; and after witnessing an unbelievably breath-taking performance from the ageing Canadian crooner, it left me with no doubts whatsoever that I had definitely made the correct decision.

Cohen was utterly brilliant.

OK, so I’d heard the recent live album and watched the DVD countless times, and yes, I’d even seen him on two other separate occasions over the years, but this still caught me off guard.

It was at the time of the release of his fourth album, “New Skins For Old Ceremonies”, that I first saw Leonard Cohen - in Liverpool - back in the spring of 1974, when he delivered a stunning show, comprising acoustic performances of his older classics, interspersed with newer material that had been given heavier arrangements thanks to some wonderful sax and clarinet. It is such a pity however, that the production of that album came nowhere near the sound that he had managed to acheive in his concert performances at that time, and to this end, tracks such as ”Lover Lover Lover” and “I’d Like To Take You” bear scarce resemblance to those amazing live renditions.

I saw him again, a decade later, with a much softer sound, in front of a far-from-full audience at Manchester's Apollo Theatre, when by then, he had softened the sound of his arrangements by introducing more strings and backing singers. My opinion at the time, was that he had began to over-elaborate his older material, and had become unsure as to which direction the band’s overall sound and feel was heading towards. Yes, he was still writing brilliant songs, but his increasingly MOR-sounding arrangements were failing to do justice to them.

Well, the other night he made me eat my words with a career-spanning three-hour performance that was as close to perfection as I ever heard from any live act. Not a single second was wasted during the entire show.

The extent to which he captivated the 15,000 audience was born out by their complete and utter silence during his rendition of “If It Be Your Will”, during which, you could have heard a pin drop to the floor; and let's face it, anyone who can keep 15,000 scousers silent has to be a bloody genius!

When something is THIS good, it becomes almost impossible to select highlights, but for me personally, "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "The Partisan" were well and truly out of this world.

Memorable beyond words.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-16 22:08 by LOGIE.

Re: OT: Leonard Cohen in Liverpool, 14/7/09
Date: July 16, 2009 16:40

This is one show I'm very sorry I missed when it hit the DC area; big mistake.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: July 16, 2009 22:00

He is in Langesund Norway tonight, just 20 minutes away from where I live and on stage right now. Should have been there but I take care of my grandson so my doughter and husband could go to hear him.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 16, 2009 23:36

...nice photos...I can imagine it was an unbeleivable event.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 16, 2009 23:48

Great pics. Thanks,Logie. Going to see him again in ten days time.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 17, 2009 02:16

I saw him in the past year. He was amazing good and he performed nearly 3 hours at the age of 75. Some younger performers leave the stage allready after a hour or so. But Leonard still kicks a**!!!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:33

Great pics and review, Logie, thanks - I kick myself for not seeing Cohen this time around

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-17 12:03 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 17, 2009 21:41

Thanks for a great review, Logie!

I never seen the man live, but I hope I one day will.

- Doxa

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: July 17, 2009 22:21

stoned in washington dc
This is one show I'm very sorry I missed when it hit the DC area; big mistake.

Same here, I also missed his show in the LA area during the US leg of his tour and I've regretted it ever since.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 18, 2009 06:43

Logie - You should have gone to see the Boss. I would not go across the street to see Leonard Cohen.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 18, 2009 06:49

I like the photo in which he appears to be .... dancing?

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: July 20, 2009 00:33

Wonderful songs:

Here's an old favourite of mine:

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2009 00:52

slew
Logie - You should have gone to see the Boss. I would not go across the street to see Leonard Cohen.

he already did twice just 2 days earlier in Dublin. The Cohen show was in Liverpool where he lives. The Springsteen show the same night was in Glasgow - about 200 miles away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home