Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick and Charlie at Lords
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 24, 2009 10:37

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 24, 2009 10:53

Can someone actually explain all these curious cricket terms, like "silly mid on" and "silly mid off" etc ? I vaguely recall this terminology from when I forced to play this abomination of a game at school. I understand there are 6 balls in an "over", f**k knows how many overs in a game, the white box in front of the stumps is a crease, the bit you run up and down is 22 yards long (I think), and if you whack the ball hard enough and it goes outside the big white circle you get four runs, and if it does so without touching the ground - you get six !!

But what's with this "silly mid on and mid off" business .... wtf is that all about ?

Anyone ?

O yeah ... why's everyone dressed in white, why not another colour ?

O yeah again ... and what's this "we declare" business ? Wots that all about then ? What are we declaring ... that whoever invented this game was off their trolley at the time ?

Date: August 24, 2009 10:59

Pauly - being the English Gentleman that you are, your admission that you do not understand the rules or terminology of our great game, moves me to tears.
I just hope Mick n' Charlie don't get to hear about this, otherwise they're be barring you from the next tour!
Now, grab yourself a copy of this years Wisden, gen up on your googlies and down a glass of Pimms in celebration of giving ye auld enemy a good old fashioned tonking.

Posted by: pete38 ()
Date: August 24, 2009 11:13

You Poms are kidding aren't you ...Australia's cricket team is probably just above Zimbabwe ...well done for winning the Ashes but goodness put it into perspective! Ricky Ponting is the worse captain in world cricket!!!, he'll be only remembered for being the 2nd captain in 120 odd years to lose the Ashes TWICE in England.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 24, 2009 11:13

If there are tears to be shed, let it be for good reason ... such as the glimmers hanging up their rockin' boots for example ! But Sir, to shed a tear for ... ugh ... cricket !! Simply not possible. Have a Pimms I shall, maybe several, but never ever in the cause of celebrating this most bizarre and eccentric of games, which as I've already stated ................ I don't even UNDERSTAND !!

What is Wisden then ? Is it an idiots guide to cricket ?

Date: August 24, 2009 11:59

paulywaul

O yeah ... why's everyone dressed in white, why not another colour ?

Paulywaul, as a keen follower of the game I have to pick you up on this point as not all cricketers opt for the all-in-white attire. To illustrate my point, here is one of our top players in action -

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 24, 2009 12:01

We Aussies arent really complaining, we are only lending the Poms the Ashes for a really short time just to keep their spirits up. It will give em a false sense of security so they can build up to a better fight before we hammer em again.

Date: August 24, 2009 12:04

Bill is probably a better spinner than the Aussies ...he might have got a game if he rang 'loser' Ponting before the last test, give Mick and Charlie a bat as well - better than Clarke and Hussey - at least we wont have to watch those 2 bat again for Australia

Date: August 24, 2009 12:10

" Dame Edna.....Crocodile Dundee....Rolf Harris...Sir Les Patterson,
your boys took one hell of a beating"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-24 12:10 by Adrian-L.

Date: August 24, 2009 12:24

We dont have a cricket team as such any more - Australia was always on the way down the day they gave Ponting the captaincy - England played exceptionally well and with spirit and dedication, Australia showed up, picked the same players whether or not they were in form - e.g. Hussey, Johnson + 5 or 6 others and thought they would win - whats Ponting shaking Flintoff's hand before he even bats! whats that about?? - sure after the game, after he got out, if he got a 100 for sure etc - would not have happened in Alan Border's, Mark Taylor's or Steve Waugh's day!

Date: August 24, 2009 12:26

crazy decision by Ponting, not to pick a spinner for the last test.

Date: August 24, 2009 12:32

Mate Hauritz is not even our best spinner!!! Ponting will have to resign after this - he's blown 3 of the last 5 series with terrible, selfish decisions. He shows no respect for the opposition - he gives your new batsman total disrespect and rubbishes him (sorry forgotten his name) - he gets a 40 and a 100!

Date: August 24, 2009 12:45

Jonathan Trott
an unusually brave, forward thinking, decision from our selectors,
to go with him.

got to admit i'd have picked Ramprakash.

Date: August 24, 2009 12:55

Yes exactly your selectors took a gamble, saw something in him and went with it - with the ashes on the line, our selectors (which Ponting is one) didnt even pick a spinner.
Well the good outcome for us - no more Hussey, good god - he doesnt even make the WA side! His brother is a better batsman than him!
I enjoyed watching Strauss bat - of course Freddy - champion isn't he, Broad made a name for himself and I thought your wicket keeper was exceptional, and Prior good player! - and Pieterson didnt play much either!

Date: August 24, 2009 13:12

you're come bouncing back mate - fine player that Ponting is, you need a new captain with fresh ideas to regenerate a thin squad.
We're going to miss Freddie - he's our talisman,
such a personality and crowd favourite.
Trott/Broad etc = future looks promising, but we'll get shafted once again at your's, next time round.

Date: August 24, 2009 13:19

Sorry mate I get carried away at times - I disagree Ponting is not a fine player, never was - and yes we do need a new captain, he'll get flogged in the press when he returns on Wed - but it was good talking to you.
Just got a promo cd of the Stones Remasters from a mate of mine in the record industry in Sydney - so I'm cranking that up

Date: August 24, 2009 13:23

good to talk to you, too- enjoy The Stones

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 24, 2009 13:36

Just recovering from yesterday.

Well done england and jonathan trott who plays for warwickshire in our neck of the woods.

I am not sure about records and all that but surely ponting must be up there as one of the best captains, okay i realise the frustration and disapointment etc but apart fromt he two ashes series over here, is record must be one of the best going for an aussie captain.

Come eighteen months when we have to defend the ashes, no doubt it will be a different story with no doubt australia thrashing us once again and with a bit of luck i am hoping to make one of the matches at the next ashes.

Date: August 24, 2009 14:23

Ponting is a joke - he wont be captain come home series against West Indies - not one of the Aussie team members now will be playing in 18 months!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1752
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home