Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 34 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – More Fotos -- part 1
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 18, 2009 21:51

timbernardis
same title film and album both

and hence my question -- the cover/artwork that was posted -- why have that if there is an official release,unless something is especially different or special about the boot recording?? because this is the whole show...and we on the farm we like forbidden fruit...the on tour book...yeah that green one.....did you taped the show? did ya taped 78??

plex

Re: 34 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – More Fotos -- part 1
Date: July 18, 2009 21:54

did you see them in candel...park in 81?.....how was that day foo you?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 19, 2009 03:20

rooster
I did indeed. My first ever Stones show my barnyard friend,,,

Date: July 19, 2009 08:50

ChrisM
rooster
I did indeed. My first ever Stones show my barnyard friend,,,
I like that show Chriss!! heatwave!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 19, 2009 21:19

<<Which SF show did Keith's amp break down, first or second?>>

The first. Mick informs the crowd about it at one point
The problems happened right at the beginning of the show, if I recall

Besides that weird iorr intro, I have no recollection of any problems or other oddities at the second show

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 20, 2009 08:00

was it musically weird or was it something Mick said before the song and if so, what was it?

p

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 20:28

timbernardis
was it musically weird or was it something Mick said before the song and if so, what was it?

p

Musically weird if I recall correctly.

Date: July 26, 2009 00:52

Last of the July 15th Fotos (this time in color taken again by Greg Evrigenis), and yes I know they need some editing/color restoration, tho they always did have issues with proper color; note: these were taken on slide film, then printed, then I scanned them just a few days ago ...

Re: 34 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – More Fotos Again (colour)
Date: July 26, 2009 01:01

OK, here we go with the JULY 16TH 1975 story and fotos.

THE FIRST TIME I GOT STONED

Wednesday, July 16, 1975, second of 2 shows, Cow Palace, San Francisco

god, there is too much to tell about this EVENT.

Waited all night in line, passed right next to Bill Graham on my way in outside the place making sure everything was going smoothly

ran like hell, got into the equivalent of about 4th row right side of stage ("festival seating" = FOS)

drunken/high woman liked me, holding onto me whilst singing "Short and Curlies" rather loudly

some hippie passing around small pipe with what was either hash or hash-oil laced pot which I partook in (had smoked pot a few times but nothing had ever happened)

The Meters open

after a few songs, the floor starts going uphill and downhill, I'm thinking "what's going on?", then slowly realize "I'm stoned"

Soon, I cannot understand anything anyone is saying to me, have to tell my friend to watch out for me when the Stones come on

long break

lights go down

wild cheering, fanfare for the common man trumpets, strobe lights

suddenly, wiry figures start to climb onto stage being hit and framed by the strobe lights, you recognize the rooster haircuts and others and begin to realize these people u have worshipped for years are here

loud, opening chords of Honky Tonk Women, going on and on, drawn out

suddenly, white lights hit the far, back right point of the lotus

a figure in white laying on his side rolls like a log down the uptilted lotus petal

he jumps up, it's Mick Jagger, and the place explodes

he sings "I met a gin-soaked bar room queen in Memphis," prances down towards the front of the stage wearing an American Indian upright feather headdress, mocking, preening, teasing, coming right up to us

can remember a few songs, esp All Down the Line and singing 'wont you be my little ba-by, for a while', great line

getting worse and worse, sit down on floor, open my eyes -- all is black, I start to panic

then slowly realize i am on floor as a little light streams down in between peoples legs

i cant continue this, i must get out, get some fresh air, i stand up

slowly, ever so slowly, make my way out, must have been stumblin and falling as people were saying "take it easy man"

get out to the exit doors and breathe in blessed fresh cold Bay Area cool summer night time air, try to calm down in the hallways

finally, begin to regain my right mind, go back in

i watch the final i dont know how many songs from the lower stands/tier, one that stands out in my mind is Midnight Rambler and Mick with the belt

remorse is already setting in, you goddam fool, you waited so long for this and you had to fu*ck it up

the remorse reaches a crescendo as, during Street Fighting Man, last song i think, Mick throws a bucket of water onto the crowd . . . RIGHT where I had been standing

for 3 years after this, I had dreams that I would go to a Stones concert and they wouldnt show up, or some other band played, recurrent nightmares of this ilk

1978 -- Anaheim -- get in with the surge of the crowd being literally lifted off my feet and carried several feet

to the front row up against the wooden barrier, hot as hell, during the show a woman completely bares her upside to Mick whilst he reaches down to his crotch and makes bug eyes at her

last song, Mick brings out a water hose this time and sprays us all -- BAPTISM AND REDEMPTION

no more nightmares

I ruined my first Stones concert by getting stoned out of my mind, but still remember parts of the show (not all of which are herein recited), one of my old teachers Br. Thomas Dodd, F.S.C. laughed and said "you got stoned at the Stones"

But at this late date, no more remorse after many years of that, I think now "what a helluva ride and helluva story."

Tim Bernardis "The Plexiglass"
January 8, 2008

(note: subject to further addition, editing, etc.)

Re: 34 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – More Fotos Again (colour)
Date: July 26, 2009 01:06

the line outside

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 02:52 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: July 26, 2009 01:10

Great pics! Thanks!

Date: July 26, 2009 02:51

Here we go with the concert fotos, all taken on my little 110 camera (anyone remember those?)

and here is the first bunch taken by my short crazy Sicilian-American buddy who is all of about 5 feet 6 inches tall, hence some of the results

i was so out of it i wasnt about to take fotos, so gave him the camera and could only tell him that I could not understand/follow what anyone was saying to me. I think I said something to him about what to do when the band first came on and to watch out for me or something like that ...

note: I put almost every one of the following first in print quality, then in web quality (as per Edith Grove's suggestion) as the fotos are so small, I thought it would be good first to see the large image, then to see the smaller ones where the details may be sharper

note 2: all fotos are in their original order as shot on that night (I went by the negative numbers as I still have the negatives)

what is this?? : you guessed it, the notorious phallus

the fotos from here on out were taken by me after I went out to get a breath of fresh air as described and so are taken from the "lower tier" area instead right up front in about the 4th row area ...

Date: July 26, 2009 03:07

Great stuff timbernardis. Photos and story: all won the "hard way"; I wish your 75 story had made that book that was put out a few years ago. The one from Stones-fans, which is about their/our experiences.

Date: July 26, 2009 03:15

someone said there was a lot of my type of story out there

Date: July 26, 2009 04:00

Oh yeah - mine is one. I spent one show in '81 in New Orleans- a show that we drove across 4 states, and partied for 3 days with the city - on my knees looking at cutoffs and dirty sneakers, with the whole Dome swaying and spinning. Last thing I remember was the Neville Bros , LOL. I think I got vertical for JJF and some balloons.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 26, 2009 06:33

great great great great great great stuff

----

LOVE this-- awesome story, beautifully told with pictures to prove it - it gets no better -- thanks for delivering all of us back to that night - for better or worse - *your* night

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 26, 2009 10:39

Then this pic would also be from july 16th

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 12:25 by Britney.

Date: July 26, 2009 11:15

That is an amazing shot Britney. It reminds me of one of my absolute favorite 75 pics. In the green Leibowitz/Sykes book on Page 38/39. Ronnie and Keith huddled in front of Charlie' riser (with Ollie behind him); keeping the sound together.

Re: 40 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – with a 2015 update
Date: July 17, 2015 08:23

It is about 11 pm Mountain Standard Time on July 16, 2015. 40 years ago tonight was my first Stones concert in San Francisco. I first put up this thread in July 2009 but had to revisit it. A narrative of my personal experiences at the show is on page 2 of this thread titled The First Time I Got Stoned.

On 30 June 2015 I was back for a visit in the Bay Area and got together with my old friend with whom I had attended the show. He is the one who took the first bunch of colour fotos from in front of the stage. We made a pilgrimage to the Cow Palace which still looks to be in good shape. A security guard drove up to us and wanted to know our business. We told him that it was 40 years ago that we had seen the Stones there and we wanted to re-visit the scene.

He opened the gates and let us in, then took a couple of pics of/for us, as you can see below. Lots of memories. Whoever knew that they would still be at it 40 years later.

that's me on the right

plexi

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 08:47 by timbernardis.

Re: 40 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts (lots of fotos) – with a 2015 update
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 09:15

some great photos.

some of them would make some great posters.

Re: 40 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts (lots of fotos) – with a 2015 update
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 17, 2015 13:04

smileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: July 17, 2015 16:27

Great photos,thanks for sharing....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 17, 2015 16:33

great story/ies!

thank you

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 17, 2015 16:44

The pix taken by your 5'6'' pal crack me up!

Thx for the time trip!

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: July 17, 2015 17:53

So cool. I didn't see the Stones for the first time until 1977 at Knebworth and then 1981 at Candlestick Park...... So many memories. Now I'm close to 70 shows. Can't wait for the next tour - cheers Plexi!

Date: July 19, 2015 08:38

sarahunwin
So cool. I didn't see the Stones for the first time until 1977 at Knebworth and then 1981 at Candlestick Park...... So many memories. Now I'm close to 70 shows. Can't wait for the next tour - cheers Plexi!

wasn't Knebworth in '76? And Sarah, do you know the exact number of shows you have seen?

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-19 08:40 by timbernardis.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: July 22, 2015 16:51

1981 Candelstick was awesome!!!!!!! That was when I really got hooked!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:10

Nice pics and memories!

Reg. The Hells Angels it's quite odd that there were lots of other Rocker/Angels at Stones shows after Altamont. Partly in the audience like in the photo Den Haag 76. But also - and that was strange -as off.sec. guards. In Europe that happened in 73 and still in 76 at various places.

Date: July 23, 2015 05:24

CousinC
Nice pics and memories!

Reg. The Hells Angels it's quite odd that there were lots of other Rocker/Angels at Stones shows after Altamont. Partly in the audience like in the photo Den Haag 76. But also - and that was strange -as off.sec. guards. In Europe that happened in 73 and still in 76 at various places.

Are the Rockers another motorcycle gang? And how do you know Angels were security guards for the band after Altamont? Then again, Angels in Europe I am sure are quite different from the real thing in California.

plexi

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 30, 2015 15:57

Cause I was there and saw them at various shows.Particularly in 73.
Of course European gangs were a bit different in the 70's.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1204
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home