Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
concept for a final tour
Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: July 9, 2009 19:57

If the Stones are capable of mounting one more tour I would be interested if they came up with an interesting idea or two to interest longtime fans. The last time I saw the Stones in 2005 in Toronto I walked out early because by show's end it had just become too formulaic. Probably left during JJF - skipped the encore.

Probably the two best idea they've had in the last ten years have been the use of the B-stage and the 2002-3 tour where they played different venues with different setlist formats for each venue. With the arena shows on that tour it was too bad that they stuck to the Beggars Banquet to Exile themes so much. I guess there was one Some Girls and one Tattoo You show each. Would have been great if they'd done a Goat's Head Soup or Black 'N' Blue theme once in a while.

As far as a possible future tour the one thing I would like to see is an arena only tour - no stadiums and as far as set list goes, if the show is about 21 songs then divide the show up into 3 groups of songs of which only 7 are selected nightly.

The three categories of songs would be

Warhorses - they can't get away without playing a few of them but if they only played 7 of the 12 or so songs that most people would consider warhorses then that would be a decent compromise

Ron Wood-era songs - (excluding Miss You and Start Me Up which are warhorses) the show should have some currency. If they worked up a handful of "newer" songs from which to select, this would provide some historical balance to the show. Personally I'd like to see "One Hit To The Body" and "She Saw Me Coming" included in this list. Other songs like "Black Limousine", "She's So Cold", "She Was Hot", "Blinded By Love" and "Sparks Will Fly" would make my list too.

Album tracks and otherlesser known songs - this would be a more wide ranging list - I'd like to see them finally play "Winter" live but there are a whole bunch of songs that fall into this category. Everything from "I'm Free" to "Moonlight Mile"

Re: concept for a final tour
Posted by: Happy2 ()
Date: July 9, 2009 20:14

They did "I'm Free" in 94/95, didn't they?
"Moonlight Mile" has also been done on a recent tour too, I think.

Date: July 9, 2009 20:21

I think "I'm Free" was only done at the Beacon and yes "Moonlight Mile" was done on the No Security tour. There's only so many songs left unperformed so clearly they'd have to choose songs they've done before.

Date: July 9, 2009 20:25

I'm Free is on Stripped, you know?

Date: July 9, 2009 20:33

Ok but it's a live in the studio version - not performed before an audience like at the Beacon

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 9, 2009 20:37

oops sorry; on second thought i erase my leetle comment; excuse and rock on...
gud to see creative ideas to shake up the setlist haa like that's ever gonna happen...cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-09 20:39 by Beelyboy.

Date: July 9, 2009 20:39

They don't care what you want to hear....Sorry!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 9, 2009 20:44

No matter how bad the show is going...I can't imagine walking out of a Stones show early........

Date: July 9, 2009 20:46

Justin
No matter how bad the show is going...I can't imagine walking out of a Stones show early........

Thats what I was thinking. Tickets cost too much to skip out early.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 9, 2009 20:49

I'd like to add to the suggestions--I agree completely that the B stage and varied setlist/venues ideas have been great.

In keeping with the "less is the new more" current downsizing mode, charge less for tickets, don't have a lavish huge stage, with elaborate lighting. Travel with Bobby and Tim Ries, and Chuck of course.
Keep the emphasis on great sound, and select songs that you, The Rolling Stones, want to play. in other words, do some of your favorites; we all know you're going to play Brown Sugar, Jumpin Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Woman, etc, and we want to hear them, but don't be risk averse!
a tall order I know...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 9, 2009 20:52

An acoustic set to let the old farts catch their breath.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 9, 2009 20:54

I'm just speechless.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 9, 2009 21:05

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd like to see a left-handed set.

Date: July 9, 2009 21:11

Just in answer to the question of why I'd walk out of a show - they already had my $100 and I'd seen it all before - I was tired and just decided to leave and beat the rush. By no means was it a bad show - hey I got a CD of the show and listened to what I missed. If it had been a Friday or Saturday night I'd have stayed but I had to work the next day.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 9, 2009 21:13

Happy2
They did "I'm Free" in 94/95, didn't they?
"Moonlight Mile" has also been done on a recent tour too, I think.

They probably didn't play it more than a couple of times.

That's typical Stones - well, we play a news song once and that's enough, then the fans have gotten what they were supposed to or if they don't get immediate response from the public they stop playing it.
It was mostly the same with ABB - four songs in the beginning ending up with 2 or 3 and then they played a couple of other songs once.
When Bruce S. can do it and U2 can do it, Stones can also do it.
Stones new songs are as good as U2 and Bruce, and Bruce has many warhorses to fill up a whole show, but he doesn't do it.

Posted by: fishstix ()
Date: July 9, 2009 21:35

Here's a concept: How about a new album and then just going out, connecting with the fans and playing your heart out.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 9, 2009 22:06

How can any fan go to a Stones concert and walk out before the end, beggars belief, and who do you think you are laying down new rules for them or else you won't be going again, who cares?

I think most people will go to see them again even if they do play the same songs. you can't tell them what songs to sing and how to put on a show, unless of course your going to be their new manager. Just can't belief a Stones fan speaking like that!!!

Date: July 9, 2009 22:10

I think rather than fly the Stones should travel in an old bus.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 9, 2009 22:17

we hope they will see this forum, read these posts and take our input under consideration...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 9, 2009 22:22

Sir Craven of Cottage

How about the Buck Stops Here Tour? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 9, 2009 22:23

Chris Fountain
Sir Craven of Cottage

How about the Buck Stops Here Tour?

For the Stones the bucks will never stop.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 9, 2009 22:27

That bus idea is pretty good. How about foosball?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 10, 2009 04:34

skipstone
I'm just speechless.

You just said something! drinking smiley

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 10, 2009 04:51

duke richardson
we hope they will see this forum, read these posts and take our input under consideration...
..that'll be the day..

Date: July 10, 2009 04:55

fishstix
Here's a concept: How about a new album and then just going out, connecting with the fans and playing your heart out.
you mean...go out and play 2+hours of pure kick-ass rock and roll with no BS and give the real fans what the want ....for once??!!....i'm with you all the way but we'll see.........(or maybe not...i'm sure it's over and done with right now..no slam against the band but they are pretty quiet these days..)....

Date: July 10, 2009 05:23

skipstone
I'm just speechless.
...agreed...why go if you have to work the next day and you are expecting 26 never-before-heard-tracks-played-live- for- the-first-time-ever..!!?? and you are disappointed because they played the songs you knew they would!?...and paid a hundred bucks!!??

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: July 10, 2009 07:07

state-of-the-art holographs of the band circa 1972 projected on stage with spectacular LOUD sound system ... after the last song, real mick, keith, ronnie, and charlie come out and take a bow.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 10, 2009 08:08

>There's only so many songs left unperformed so clearly they'd have to choose songs they've done before

Yeah, they only have about 100 to choose from lol. They could do an entire tour of *only* songs they've never played before.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 10, 2009 10:45

Glam Descendant
>There's only so many songs left unperformed so clearly they'd have to choose songs they've done before

Yeah, they only have about 100 to choose from lol. They could do an entire tour of *only* songs they've never played before.

Yes I asked too on another thread how many of their songs were never performed ?

To hear Coming Down Again ,Slave ,Winter ,Beast of Burden ,Waiting On a Friend etc on small venues would be great but will Keith be able to play acoustic guitar as well ? Wil Mick be able to sing it right ? (remember on SAL ,his voice was too low for As Tears Go By .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 10, 2009 10:47

Having Mick T and Bill W as guests palyers. At every concert

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home