Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Remastered CDs and Dolby Pro Logic II (get them)
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 8, 2009 23:20

The new remastered CDs are worth your time and money, but ONLY if you have a Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound amp in at least a 4.0 configuration. 5.1 would be preferred.

I just finished listening to several of the new discs on my home system, and I will tell you the complete truth... They are fantastic. I can't wait to get A Bigger Bang and hopefully enjoy a better mix of ONNYA!

The room opens up like never before. Whatever they did, they did a great job with it. The Dolby Pro Logic II filtering works hand in hand with these discs. Guitars and 'room' are thrown in the rear speakers... Its absolutely stunning. Finally someone decided to make a CD that isn't simply an AAD or ADD upgrade, it works with the Dolby filtering!!!

Seriously, if you have an amp capable of running Dolby Pro Logic II, then you already know how awesome music sounds in surround sound. These discs take advantage of modern amp technology and make these discs sound like they were recorded TODAY. They don't 'remix' the albums, they just transfered the recordings at the highest fidelity possible, and in a way that would work with the filtering.

I'm a fan of the new releases, but I probably wouldn't have been if I didn't have a great 5.1 setup at home.

Re: New Remastered CDs and Dolby Pro Logic II (get them)
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 9, 2009 05:22

You know flacvinyl, your screen name reminded me that today I was in the Best Buy here in Carle Place, Long Island and was amazed to discover the huge section devoted to vinyl. This must be mounting a comeback huh? They had almost one whole side of a music aisle devoted to it. I was shocked. It took me way back, but with modern day prices. Who the hell pays $35 for a record album!?!?!?!?

Sorry doesn't really pertain to your post, but it just jarred my mind on it.....

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 9, 2009 09:00

Some music critics are saying surround effect is remarkable on Universal remasters.

I got a surround system in my office for listening abkco SACDs.
I bought 13 Shm-cds of Universal remasters.
I just listened to Sticky Fingers, Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rockn'Roll because I don't have much time.
They are fantastic. I miss Bill's bass guitar.
What most surprised me was Finger Print File.
Mick's whisper at the very last shook the windows in my office.

Btw,
Let's Spend The Night Together DVD has pseudo 5.1ch dolby remix sound on another layer.
That is interesting, too.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 9, 2009 12:05

Sorry to rain on your parade but in 2009, the 16bit/44,1 kHz, 700 Mo CD is doomed : even torrents shared at Dime are sometimes sampled at 24bit/96 kHz and therefore offer (theorical) higher sonic resolution (you burn them on dvd-r not cd-r).

So I won't invest in a device to improve the sound of a CD. To me it's like trying to glue wings to a wheelchair...

Imho the future for people allergic to mp3 Dled from the Net is 24 bits/192 kHz audio bluray with stand-alone players in the 80$ range.

Maybe in 2011?

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: July 9, 2009 13:39

Hi there,
Just to be sure:
Are we talking about the 'normal' Universal Remasters or only the Japanese batch? I thought the regular universal remasters are 'only' 2 channel stereo mixes and not 5.1.
thanks..

Date: July 9, 2009 15:38

A few clarifications...

1. We are talking about the Universal Remasters, not the Japanese batch. They are ONLY 2 channel stereo mixes. This is why I am specifically mentioning the "Dolby Pro Logic II" surround sound filter. DPLII takes stereo sources and separates the frequencies to create a surround sound mix. It does some very cool work on older recordings, and unbelievable sound for anything more modern. It is NOT an artificial fake echo chamber being passed off as surround sound... It filters the frequencies to produce AMAZING sound. One of the greatest technology advancements, and also one that seems to go completely unnoticed.

2. dcba... Yes, CD is indeed a 'doomed' format, due to its limited resolution. 24bit/96kHz is unbelievable. Thankfully DVD Audio resoluation is easily achieved on vinyl, and many people are ripping vinyl and uploading it at the highest resolution their computer audio cards can handle! Personally I run a Denon Amp and a 5.1 Polk speaker setup. As for playback device I have a modded Xbox running a custom build of XBMC. Optical audio out. It plays anything and everything.

I am not saying anyone should go out a purchase a Dolby Pro Logic II enabled amp, JUST to enjoy the new remasters. I am merely commenting that the new remasters take full advantage of Dolby Pro Logic II filtering!

3. I haven't checked out the LSTNT DVD yet. I'm planning on picking it up VERY soon. Very fun concert film.

4. Voodoo... Good sir vinyl is back and better than ever. Every band worth their weight is releasing their albums on vinyl, and on high grade, heavy 180gram at that! My birthday is coming up (July 26, same as Jagger... I'll be 26) and for my bday I'm getting the Besnard Lakes on vinyl. One of the best records I've heard in YEARS. I don't purchase CDs generally. $35 is alot of money for a new record. I generally pay $15 for a single record, $25 for a double.

5. Toru, I'm with you. For the longest time I was overly critical of remasters, but finally Universal did what Virgin and every other company failed to do... Win me over. And not with cover art or mini-LP packaging, but with sheer definition. You can't escape the 16-bit 44.1 kHz CD, but you can take advantage of modern processing tech.

For the record... When I record bands I record in 24bit 48kHz minimal. Usually 24bit 96kHz. Unfortunately very few bands decide to take advantage of this resolution. Most just dump it onto a CD anyways...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 9, 2009 16:07

I thought Dolby Pro Logic II only worked with things recorded for Surround Sound?

That is, specifically recorded so that the 2 channels (R+L) can be seperated into 4 (R+L+Center+Rear)?

Are you saying ANYTHING recorded in 2 channels, Dolby Pro Logic II will seperate that way into an 'enhanced' listening format?

I'm no expert on the matter, sounds like you guys know way more than I do, so just interested in your findings!

Date: July 9, 2009 16:27

YES!!!

Dobly Pro Logic II takes ANYTHING (provided it is not mono) and will separate it out into surround sound. The filtering can do a 4.0, 5.1 and 7.1 mix. It is BEAUTIFUL.

I will admit that it depends entirely on there recording. The Who Sell Out, for example, sounds weird with it particularly on the Armenia (the first song). It warbles with the tape noise and sounds awkward. However, stuff like The Stones' Some Girls sounds PHENOMENAL. Buried rhythm guitars thrown in the rear speakers, etc...

I have been hearing all sorts of hidden details in music because of this filter. If it were an echo chamber, I wouldn't care... It is because it separates the frequencies that it is truly a phenomenal filter. The higher quality the recording, the better the filtering works.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 9, 2009 17:48

Wow, learn something new every day!

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home