Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Allen Klein RIP
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 4, 2009 22:33

No sympathy for this one.

Posted by: Deltics ()

with sssoul
>> What does this mean for the future of the ABKCO label? <<

it says in the press release BV posted for us that the company "will continue as a family-run business" -
which is what it has been for a while now.

Quite. Check out the 2002 remasters:
Restoration Producer: Jody H. Klein
Might as well grab some royalties while your at it.

Rot In Pieces, Mr. Klein.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: AngieBlue ()

So do you figure Klein is trying to con Satan about now?

Date: July 4, 2009 22:35

Edith Grove
loog droog
One minute people are wishing he hadn't killed the '72 live album, the next they want to take up a collection for the guy. I don't get it.

And I don't quite get this statement, loog droog.

I suggested that if anyone wanted to make a donation, they make it to the Alzheimer's Foundation.

Do you have a problem with that?

I won't be making a donation.

Can't see why anyone would. Kiethy once described Klein as the price of an education. I can't see him popping down the florust to further add to his bill.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 4, 2009 22:38

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 4, 2009 22:28

loog droog
One minute people are wishing he hadn't killed the '72 live album, the next they want to take up a collection for the guy. I don't get it.

I suggested that if anyone wanted to make a donation, they make it to the Alzheimer's Foundation.

Yes.

If you're doing in to honor/ in tribute / in memory of Allen Klein. Yes.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

If you want to donate money to whatever cause you want, good for you.

Typically when someone passes, and donations are collected, it's because the person who died was highly regarded.

Allen Klein was a leech who not only sucked money from the Stones...he was a distraction that had to have had an impact on them creatively. So maybe there's a song that never got written because Mick and Keith were too busy taking meetings with lawyers.

This site is for Rolling Stones fans. Learn your Stones history. Allen Klein was no friend of the Stones.

If you want to donate to Alzheimer's research, go right ahead. But this is the wrong place to ask for it, especially right now.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 4, 2009 22:45

I figured Jody Klein had been running things at ABKCO for quite a while anyway. That was the name on the 2002 remasters

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 4, 2009 23:07

Thanks for the info Bjornulf.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 4, 2009 23:24

official press release

In 1971 Klein co-produced The Concert for Bangladesh with George Harrison at Madison Square Garden, the first ever concert event at the facility

REALLY...Wow, I guess The Rolling Stones concert didn't happen until after 1971? Who writes these articles? Do they just write whatever sounds good? Anyway, one less scum bag on Earth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 06:53 by Bingo.

Date: July 4, 2009 23:24

loog droog
Date: July 4, 2009 22:28

loog droog

Yes.

If you're doing in to honor/ in tribute / in memory of Allen Klein. Yes.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

If you want to donate money to whatever cause you want, good for you.

Typically when someone passes, and donations are collected, it's because the person who died was highly regarded.

Allen Klein was a leech who not only sucked money from the Stones...he was a distraction that had to have had an impact on them creatively. So maybe there's a song that never got written because Mick and Keith were too busy taking meetings with lawyers.

This site is for Rolling Stones fans. Learn your Stones history. Allen Klein was no friend of the Stones.

If you want to donate to Alzheimer's research, go right ahead. But this is the wrong place to ask for it, especially right now.

Geez, so much hate for someone you probably don't even know.

I'll agree that Klein, for the most part, was not good for the Stones.
As for my knowledge of Stones history, I'm no expert, but I do recall Keith stating the Stones experience with Klein was "the price of an education."
If nothing else, at least the Stones learned something from that experience, and turned it into something good.
We may not be discussing anything at all here, right now, if that had not happened.

If you'll re-read my first post mentioning the Alzheimer's Foundation, I suggested anyone considering doing something, do it for Alzheimer's.
Undoubtedly, there will be someone who will want to do something in Klein's name.
If that person happens to see this thread, then maybe some donation will be directed to a good cause, although, I was not my primary intent to use this thread for solicitation.

I have donated to Alzheimer's in the past, and probably will in the future, but not in Klein's name.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 4, 2009 23:50

RIH Klein

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 4, 2009 23:54

I too dont know all the exact details but I think the Stones thought "Nanker Phelge" Music thats on the LIB album belonged to them and the next thing you know Klein owns their entire Decca catalog and SF?? Too slick for me! And how did he wind up with all The Animals back catalog too? But I'm just a dumb ole country boy.

I was gonna donate in Kleins name but I forgot!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:10

Perhaps Brian is waiting at the gates to give him a good kicking.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:15

How huge is the chance Klein, Keith & Bobby would be born the same date..
Bobby & Keef even the same year.. Klein the Same Chinese sign as Keef..

And undersigned born the 17th.. Rest in.. well.. peace.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:16

scottkeef
I too dont know all the exact details but I think the Stones thought "Nanker Phelge" Music thats on the LIB album belonged to them and the next thing you know Klein owns their entire Decca catalog and SF?? Too slick for me! And how did he wind up with all The Animals back catalog too? But I'm just a dumb ole country boy.

As I understand it, the Stones were led to believe that a company called "Nanker Phelge Ltd." was set up to control their interests, but in fact Klein registered the name "Nanker Phelge Inc.".
Can anybody clarify this?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:22

All I know, when asked, McCartney has always said that it wasn't Yoko that broke up the Beatles but it was when the Beatles were forced to deal with the business end after Epstein had passed away in 1967. It was apparent they weren't up for it and the stress just grew from 1967 on to the end (basically late 1969). No more tours, a lot of fighting, half the band (Lennon, Harrison) hating to be part of it. A good business manager would have kept the band together. Wow, think of the next Beatles album after Abbey Road, you can put it together from the singles and solo albums. Klein ruined all that (plus a lot of great Stones stuff just sitting in the vaults) - just another Rat Bastard that took some of the happiness out of my life, out of all our lives, to satisfy his never ending river of GREED, POWER, and ABUSE .....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:37

"Generally I don't think it's nice to speak ill of the dead, but in Klein's case I'll make an exception: He should rot in hell."

Don't you think there are OTHER people who deserve this? AK didn't kill people, he didn't attack another country (remember 2003?), he "simply" ripped off 2 naive young big-headed people who probably thought NOBODY would dare pull a scam on them. (And financially speaking the 2 "victims" did pretty well afterwards, right?)

AK knew the great value of the Stones tapes he kept so the Masters in his possession were stored pretty well. Probably better than most artists's from the 70's (ask Lou Reed...).
There are hundreds of dodgy managers who came after him (ask the Jane's Addiction guys...). Why history should only remember HIM?

So all in all what's to blame him for after 40 years?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 00:40 by dcba.

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:46

Have threads ever been removed on principle? This should be one. Who cares?

Date: July 5, 2009 00:49

GeneGenie
Have threads ever been removed on principle? This should be one. Who cares?

Since the administrator started this one, I doubt it will be removed. Perhaps edited, though.

Date: July 5, 2009 01:02

Ex-Beatles, Rolling Stones manager Klein dies
By JENNIFER PELTZ – 12 minutes ago
NEW YORK (AP) — Music manager Allen Klein, a no-holds-barred businessman who bulldozed his way into and out of deals with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, died Saturday, a publicist for his company said. He was 77.
Klein, who was one of the most powerful figures in the music business in the 1960s but ended up feuding with some of his biggest clients, died at his New York City home of Alzheimer's disease, said Bob Merlis, publicist for ABKCO Music & Records.
An accountant known for his brashness, temper and tenacity in tracking down royalties and getting better record deals, Klein garnered clients including Sam Cooke, Bobby Darin and Herman's Hermits.
But he became most famous — and later infamous — for signing on the Rolling Stones and then the Beatles. Both arrangements eventually spurred lawsuits, with some Beatles fans blaming Klein for contributing to the tensions that broke up the group.
Klein was convicted of tax fraud in 1979 and served two months in prison for failing to report income from sales of promotional records by the Beatles and other groups; the records were supposed to be given away. The Rolling Stones grew so infuriated with Klein — whose company still owns an enormous chunk of their 1960s songs — that Mick Jagger once chased him down the hall of a posh hotel.
Klein was reputed to be the basis for the slick manager "Ron Decline," played by Jon Belushi, in the parodic 1978 film "The Rutles," and the inspiration for John Lennon's bitter 1974 song "Steel and Glass."
Regardless, Klein remained "very proud of the position he was in and what he was able to do with the different artists he was able to work with," Merlis said.
Klein began building his reputation by auditing record companies' books and finding unpaid royalties for Darin and other artists. After meeting Cooke in 1962, he helped the soul singer secure a then-unusual level of control over his music and finances.
"I never wanted to be a manager," he told The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J., in 2002. "It was going over the books that I loved. And I was good at it."
That helped him win over the Rolling Stones, who hired him in the mid-1960s. He helped the group negotiate a new contract with its label, but the relationship soured after Klein bought the rights to the band's 1960s songs and recordings from a former manager.
He was fired in 1970, but the animosity continued for decades, culminating in dueling lawsuits over rights and royalties and a 1984 trial. Jagger testified in a federal court in New York that Klein "wanted a hold on us, on our futures" — and that a 1974 discussion about money ended with a shouting Jagger chasing Klein down a corridor at London's Savoy Hotel. The lawsuit was settled soon after, with Klein keeping the song rights but agreeing to pay royalties promptly.
In the meantime, Klein had set his sights on managing the Beatles and saw his chance when their longtime manager, Brian Epstein, died in 1967.
Initially rebuffed, Klein eventually won John Lennon's favor.
"He not only knew my work, and the lyrics that I had written, but he also understood them, and from way back. That was it," Lennon told an interviewer in 1970.
The group hired Klein in 1969 over the objections of Paul McCartney, who preferred his father-in-law, Lee Eastman.
At the time, a New York Times profile referred to Klein as "the toughest wheeler-dealer in the pop jungle." Klein himself once sent out a chest-beating holiday card with a profane takeoff on the 23rd Psalm: "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, because I'm the biggest bastard in the valley."
But his relationship with the Beatles was bitter and short-lived. The group broke up the next year, and McCartney sued his bandmates in an effort to break free from Klein, an action once unthinkable among the harmonious foursome. McCartney went on to revile Klein in a 1997 biography, "Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now."
The other Beatles lost faith in Klein and sued him in the mid-1970s. Lennon sent him off in song in "Steel and Glass," which describes how "your mouthpiece squawks as he spreads your lies."
Klein was born in Newark on Dec. 18, 1931, and spent several years in an orphanage after his mother's death during his infancy. He was later raised by a grandmother and an aunt.
Klein graduated from Upsala College and served in the U.S. Army before joining a Manhattan accounting firm, according to his company.
He started his own firm, which later became ABKCO, in the late 1950s. Besides managing music, he co-produced 1971's "The Concert for Bangladesh," a forerunner of modern charity concerts, and films including 1978's "The Greek Tycoon," starring Anthony Quinn and Jacqueline Bisset.
He is survived by a longtime companion, Iris Keitel; his estranged wife, Betty; three children, four grandchildren and a sister.
Associated Press Writer Hillel Italie contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

[www.google.com]

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 5, 2009 01:22

I understand the ill feelings the Stones have for Klein but on the other hand I don't really feel sorry for the Stones regarding anything Klein did to them. Look at the Stones now,shitty rip off internet fan club,$350 and up ticket prices, material languishing in the vaults, one new studio album sice 1997. Look at the way Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Ian Stewart Ron Wood etc etc were all treated. Even though I love them for their music, they are no better than Klein when it comes to being human beings.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 5, 2009 01:30

dcba
"Generally I don't think it's nice to speak ill of the dead, but in Klein's case I'll make an exception: He should rot in hell."

Don't you think there are OTHER people who deserve this? AK didn't kill people, he didn't attack another country (remember 2003?), he "simply" ripped off 2 naive young big-headed people who probably thought NOBODY would dare pull a scam on them. (And financially speaking the 2 "victims" did pretty well afterwards, right?)

AK knew the great value of the Stones tapes he kept so the Masters in his possession were stored pretty well. Probably better than most artists's from the 70's (ask Lou Reed...).
There are hundreds of dodgy managers who came after him (ask the Jane's Addiction guys...). Why history should only remember HIM?

I'll bet the Klein family had a lot of laughs hearing papa tell about the "Ltd./ Inc." fast one he pulled on the Stones. It was probably a fixture every Thanksgiving as they sat around the table, and toasted the good life they were leading. And now Klein's children and grandchildren will go to the best schools and breeze through life on the fat guy's rip-offs. In the world of lawyers and contracts they may be legally entitled to this money they never worked for. But morally? No way. It was ill-gotten gains 40 years ago, and continues to be.

As for your point that there are worse people than Klein, so what? No, he never killed anybody. I think it goes without saying that he wasn't as bad as @#$%&. Other people are not the topic. The topic is Klein.

And my point is that for Stones fans to get into this automatic "RIP" mode is nonsense. He was a greedy bastard. A bloodsucker. A vulture.

(insert spitting on the ground sound)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 5, 2009 01:47

Well today he will meet his MAKER; I wonder how he will be received? I was never a fan of his because I've never been terribly fond on CROOKS!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 5, 2009 01:58

I just realized people need scapegoats they can vent their rage at.
Let's wait for statements from the Stones's camp : I'm sure Mj & KR will be less harsh on AK than some of you (who frankly shouldn't care so much about a problem they've never been involved with in the 1st place...).

And now for some AK's : cool smiley
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2009 02:15

Farewell...........

But wonder what The Verve boys are drinkin' .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 5, 2009 02:33

dcba

Well, there is much truth in what you've been saying here. But people tend to go the easy way and see things black/ white.

But, - apart from this and whatever really happened, to Stonesfans he has been a pain in the a%% ever since those late 60's!
If only 'cause he prevented some good releases and at times mismanaged their oeuvre.

Klein has been ill for some years now and since then his children managed the company primarily. The hardened fronts softened since then a bit.

So his dead won't really change things much since they already drew closer to each other at least since 40 Licks. And we know about those coming rereleases of YaYa's, Exile, etc.
Hope they just keep going that way . .

Date: July 5, 2009 02:42

I never ever speak ill of the dead, but let me tell you… I’m sure you can’t figure out how hard for me is to avoid writing what I’m thinking about this character, he does not deserve my respect even as a dead person, I don’t have any nice wishes for him, on the contrary. This is the first time this happens to me… but this is too much.

I’m not in charge of the justice department (Thanks God) hope some give him what he deserves, glad his dirty money does not work there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 02:51 by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 5, 2009 02:45

One question regarding the 60s stuff:
Paul McCartney says that his stuff will be coming back to him from Michael Jackson (Dead or not I guess) soon, so he didn't want to re-buy it. He'd get it automatically. Doesn't the same apply for the Stones? Klein had the 60s stuff for many years, but shouldn't it go back to the Stones at some point, or is it a completely different deal all together?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 5, 2009 03:19

Listening to "It Won't Take Long" and signing off AK works quite well, save for one lyric where you have to imagine AK in a pale blue dress.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 5, 2009 03:33

Interesting year so far. There seems to be some strange process right now with all these people kicking it so I'll stick to the most recent one: Steve McNair was shot and killed. There goes a great talent. You got ol' whatisface with the dog trouble - and NcNair gets shot and killed.

Ah but the legacies.

Jacko dies of a heart attack. Sure. Look at the relevance of the event. Suddenly people come out from every fuucking hole in the planet and proclaim this and that when...nobody cared when he released Dangerous and Invincible or HIStory (yet alone the number of jobs at Sony lost over the hype expense/promotion/sales of that hits comp). Whacko has always been remembered for Thriller and, quite simply, it will probably always be THE biggest statement for a solo artist ever. Nothing he did after Thriller was worth a shit but he kept being promoted as, essentially, a genius. There's been enough hot air leaked by various 'artists' and whatever other sorts of people over the years guffawing about Whacko to keep him seemingly relevant that it's no wonder the polar ice caps are melting and sea surfaces are rising.

So...did the remastering and reissuing of the ABKCO albums and comps boost ABKCO's legacy as well as Klein's history in rock and his bank statements? I don't know how the sales of the ABKCO Remasters have been but I can't imagine that they've sold anything at all like they did when the albums originally came out. Aside from whoever here and myself I only know ONE person that has bought anything from the ABKCO Remasters and that's my girlfriend - she got Hot Rocks.

The history ABKCO has with the Stones catalogue is borderline equivalent to illegal immigrant hiring that is so rampant in the United States - we want all this work but we don't want to pay hardly anything at all for it and all you Mexicans are cheap and look honey, they all say Yes! to every question asked about 'Do you know how to do this?' Wow they do GREAT work...

I have only bought Metamorphosis and Forty Licks as far as any ABKCO Remasters go. I have been hesitant to get any of the albums because of the cost - I already have them. I don't listen to them enough to warrant spending a ton of money because they sound better.

Where will Klein sit within the legacy of The Rolling Stones? Totally, I mean. Will there be some softer light shone on him for FINALLY getting the catalogue remastered with up to date technology etc... even though there are still people who think it sucks? We all know he was a piece of shit up until Forty Licks. I have essentially refused to buy the ABKCO Remasters new because I did not want to support ABKCO Records (or whatever the hell it is called). If I find them used, fine - I'm not paying into ABKCO's pockets.

Thoughts, opinions, corrections of facts and or myths, truths - bring it on.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: July 5, 2009 04:14

He is one of many thugs in the music history going back to early beginnings of rock and roll. One man that stands alone is Col Tom Parker who managed Elvis after he was bought out from Sun records for thirty thousand to RCA.

Not too soon gone.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1511
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home