Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If "Some Girls" had been a Double LP?
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 19, 2009 03:27

Hi

I'm always askin' the same question.

On "Some Girls", if you delete "Miss You"(I'd always hated this song)
and keep the rest adding instead
"Everything's turning to gold" on Disc 1 with all the stuff they had recorded they surely could do another Disc with these tracks :

A Side

1.Do you think I really care
2.What's the matter
3.So young
4.You win again
5.Some people tell me
6.I need you

B Side

1.Linda Lu
2.Sweet Home Chicago
3.Everlasting is my love
4.Misty Roads
5.Gangster's Moll
6.Claudine (Short Version)

If it was done "Some Girls" could have been a f#@#^@ great album!

All these unofficial songs are awesome, and i think it's time now,
for the ROLLING STONES, to do official releases of their stuff.
Keith Please "go in your vaults and do it" !

Lots of "If" Lots of "Could" but i can dream !

HMN
winking smiley

You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometimes...you get what you need !

Re: If "Some Girls" had been a Double LP?
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 19, 2009 03:40

It´s always interesting to hear the bootleg-stuff. Sometimes it blows you away...But-Some Girls-from my point of wiev is great as it is!!!Thanks for your post, though!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 19, 2009 03:49

They cant release Claudine. And some of the songs listed werent recorded until 1979, surely.

And as much as it has sucked live for the last two decades, the studio version of Miss You is a masterpiece.

I always thought it would have been interesting to release a bonus disc which included the unedited versions of some of the songs that made the final cut. Side 1 of Some Girls alone features songs that exist as complete takes that if they were released unedited would clock in at about 40 minutes for just 5 songs.

Date: June 19, 2009 04:04

Gazza
They cant release Claudine. And some of the songs listed werent recorded until 1979, surely.

And as much as it has sucked live for the last two decades, the studio version of Miss You is a masterpiece.

I always thought it would have been interesting to release a bonus disc which included the unedited versions of some of the songs that made the final cut. Side 1 of Some Girls alone features songs that exist as complete takes that if they were released unedited would clock in at about 40 minutes for just 5 songs.

I know the story about Claudine, but we are in 2009, maybe now it could be done!
For the rest, you're right a bonus disc should have been great!

Date: June 19, 2009 04:57

That 77-79 was a real fertile period. Jagger was on a tear. Keith was still just as energetic and Ronnie was right in the thick of it. Plus the Bass player whose name is Bill Wyman was still there. No Leavell, no Don Was.
For the record I think the song choices are excellent, and there was so much more. IMO each of these unreleased songs already had a strong hook in place. Even the very raw ones like "Never too Into" or "Never let her go". Then you got "Fiji Jim", "The Way She Held me Tight", "Lucky in Love".

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 19, 2009 11:07

it would have been longer....

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 19, 2009 12:24

Don't want to spoil a fascinating topic here, but I don't think Some Girls would have succeeded as a double album. The punky, punchy song material used was perfect for a short, focussed album. As a double album it would've needed more stellar/standout tracks to grab the listener's attention over four complete sides. The unreleased material, I think, does contain some interesting alternatives to the released song selection, but not much that really would've ENHANCED it. Tracks like "Yello Cab"/ "Petrol Gang" / "No Spare Parts" for example would've been substitutes for "Far Away Eyes".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 14:55 by Greenblues.

Date: June 19, 2009 12:36

Agreed... proves that their song selection made sense.

Date: June 19, 2009 14:20

Honestman

I know the story about Claudine, but we are in 2009, maybe now it could be done!
[/quote]

How could it? The subject of the song is still alive. If it was litigious then, it's still litigious now.

Date: June 19, 2009 15:00

Gazza

How could it? The subject of the song is still alive. If it was litigious then, it's still litigious now.

I'm not a Lawyer, but Precription and Period of limitations exist
so why not for "Claudine" , it's been a long time in FRANCE, that we didn't talk about her, and i don't think that it could create a scandal if the song is edited one day!
That's just what i think...but i'm not a lawyer...and you're probably right

HMN

Date: June 19, 2009 15:12

Greenblues
...I don't think Some Girls would have succeeded as a double album. The punky, punchy song material used was perfect for a short, focussed album. As a double album it would've needed more stellar/standout tracks to grab the listener's attention over four complete sides. The unreleased material, I think, does contain some interesting alternatives to the released song selection, but not much that really would've ENHANCED it. Tracks like "Yello Cab"/ "Petrol Gang" / "No Spare Parts" for example would've been substitutes for "Far Away Eyes".

I will try to explain what i mean,sorry for my english,
i know that most of this songs are unfinished, but if they had re-worked some of them, i 'm sure that the Double LP should have been a killer one like "Exile".
"Some Girls" original is a very good album , and i think that they had the power to do a Double Lp with the stuff even unfinished.

@Bjorn

Of course i've listened to the boots!!!

winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:15

i love some girls the way it is

imo instead Emotional rescue would have been lot better replacing some tunes with STUNNING outtakes like we had it all etc

Date: June 19, 2009 15:20

Honestman

I'm not a Lawyer, but Precription and Period of limitations exist
so why not for "Claudine" , it's been a long time in FRANCE, that we didn't talk about her, and i don't think that it could create a scandal if the song is edited one day!
That's just what i think...but i'm not a lawyer...and you're probably right

HMN

Ok...we'll release it in France only then. I'll get you to send me a copy. smileys with beer

Seriously, the mere prospect of losing even £10 in litigation would give Jagger sleepless nights.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:25

What's the story behind Claudine that it cannot be released?

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:37

If Some Girls was a double LP, I would just dislike it and think it overrated doubly!

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:40

Claudine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 15:40 by slasausjes.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:46

"if you delete "Miss You""
OK it's your choice but you have to pick an equally strong opener. Imho "Do you think I really care" is pretty poor...

Date: June 19, 2009 15:52

yapster
How would you edit a song that has the line "Claudine's back in jail again" as one of the main lines? Would you bleep out Claudine and replace it with "#&!@*%&@'s back in jail again" or would you say "Claudines never done anything bad that she could sue us for if we mention her in our song-again"?

If you think that's it's matter of scandal, i don't think so !
Rappers wrote songs with explicit lyrics more shocking that "Claudine's back in jail again", but i understand that in english language country it could be a matter of scandal, in FRANCE, we don't care of that , but once again you're all right,
it 's the law, and we can't do nothing against the law!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 19, 2009 16:05

,,,Miss You...is pure genius..... Right up there with all the other big ones in their vast incredible and awe inspiring catalogue.....if you want to criticize them for overplaying it...well then.....have at it........the first few notes...pure magic....undeniable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 16:09 by Rip This.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 19, 2009 17:07

im with you Rip This
you can say they played too much, but you cant deny that Miss You is just masterwork. the riff is genius, micks vocals sometimes almost rap, the harp, the bass part, everything.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 19, 2009 17:13

....I hear ya farawayeyes...from the first chord....you are instantly sucked in...

Date: June 19, 2009 17:37

Honestman
Greenblues
...I don't think Some Girls would have succeeded as a double album. The punky, punchy song material used was perfect for a short, focussed album. As a double album it would've needed more stellar/standout tracks to grab the listener's attention over four complete sides. The unreleased material, I think, does contain some interesting alternatives to the released song selection, but not much that really would've ENHANCED it. Tracks like "Yello Cab"/ "Petrol Gang" / "No Spare Parts" for example would've been substitutes for "Far Away Eyes".

I will try to explain what i mean,sorry for my english,
i know that most of this songs are unfinished, but if they had re-worked some of them, i 'm sure that the Double LP should have been a killer one like "Exile".
"Some Girls" original is a very good album , and i think that they had the power to do a Double Lp with the stuff even unfinished.

@Bjorn

Of course i've listened to the boots!!!

winking smiley

HMN

Honestman, I perfectly got your point, right from the beginning ;-) But in return my point might be a little bit different from what you perceived. My view is that even if thay HAD finished some of these well known outtakes (which are quite fascinating as such, no question) they still wouldn't have had the right material for a double set. It's a bit difficult to explain, but I think to justify a double album you need enough song material of a certain "gravity", because a double is some kind of an epic (even Exile is, in it's own ragged way). Without such standout tracks you'd just have more of the same on Sides 3+4 which would have been the case with a Some Girls double IMO. Like another poster here, I'd be much hotter for an Emotional Rescue double (if any), as certain outtakes from that time period sound very promising and superior to some of the released contents.

Plus, some of the tracks you listed for sides 3+4 of your proposed double album - such as Gangster's Moll were recorded after Some Girls was released, if I remember correctly, (I'd buy it straight away, nevertheless, if they'd released it ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 17:52 by Greenblues.

Date: June 19, 2009 17:50

Honestman
yapster
How would you edit a song that has the line "Claudine's back in jail again" as one of the main lines? Would you bleep out Claudine and replace it with "#&!@*%&@'s back in jail again" or would you say "Claudines never done anything bad that she could sue us for if we mention her in our song-again"?

If you think that's it's matter of scandal, i don't think so !
Rappers wrote songs with explicit lyrics more shocking that "Claudine's back in jail again", but i understand that in english language country it could be a matter of scandal, in FRANCE, we don't care of that , but once again you're all right,
it 's the law, and we can't do nothing against the law!

Whether you or I think its 'scandalous', explicit or shocking is irrelevant. The song was dropped from Emotional Rescue (not SG) for the simple reason that they were threatened with legal action by Longet herself. They avoided a similar action on '@#$%&' when they contacted Steve McQueen (on Ahmet Erteguns advice) to get his Ok over a line about him getting a blow job. Had he objected, they'd have changed the lyric.

Date: June 19, 2009 18:41

Gazza

Whether you or I think its 'scandalous', explicit or shocking is irrelevant. The song was dropped from Emotional Rescue (not SG) for the simple reason that they were threatened with legal action by Longet herself. They avoided a similar action on '@#$%&' when they contacted Steve McQueen (on Ahmet Erteguns advice) to get his Ok over a line about him getting a blow job. Had he objected, they'd have changed the lyric.

I don't think it's irrelevant, but you're right, they had enough problem with Keith's affair to add one more with Claudine!
thumbs up

For the rest and for all of you, it's an opinion, i surely can't change the past ,
certainly not, but i still think that they had enough material even without "Claudine"
to do another disc.
Your idea of a bonus disc is i think the best one.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 20:30 by Honestman.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 20, 2009 00:45

No way, that would be far too many Girls.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 20, 2009 02:24

Here's how I have SG on my media player:

Miss You (UK edit)
When The Whip Comes Down
Summer Romance
Black Limousine
Everything Is Turning To Gold
Some Girls
Lies
So Young
Where The Boys Go
Far Away Eyes
Respectable
Before They Make Me Run
Beast Of Burden (edit)
Shattered

From what all I've read that is a realistic version of what it could have been as a double, I guess - maybe. I guess for vinyl it would have to be, like Voodoo is. The edit versions are my own choice since they are shorter, ha ha... I included So Young because I've never read anything that says it was finished for Bridges, it just says Chris Kimsey, so I'm guessing it was finished in 1978. And I'm still not convinced about Start Me Up!

Date: June 20, 2009 02:45

@skipstone

A good choice, but you could also included before they make me run (Awesome Promo Single)
and instead of Miss You (Edit) , Miss You IV the only version i like,
the one which is on Collectibles.

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-20 02:53 by Honestman.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 20, 2009 02:49

Yeah but I don't really care for Miss You - the extended version is much better (I'm going to shorten it someday to make it better, ha ha) but as far as for a Long Player, the UK edit is best, personally - no saxophone.

And I've not ever heard the BTMMR promo mix...

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: June 20, 2009 10:21

just my opinion if some girls was released as a double album it would of ruined the stones for yrs if not permanatly. now if they would of released the material as a single album between some girls and emotional rescue it would of been a different story

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 20, 2009 10:40

Not to be nasty but the idea sucks.

"Miss you" and SG are both masterpieces.

And "Claudine" could easily be released by simply changing the name. The song sucks imo anyway so leave it where it is pleeeease.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home