Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Most exciting period for you re the Stones
Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 16, 2009 15:29

For me I would have to say 1989.

It was a big buzz knowing they were hitting the road again along with a new album.

The album was good - not great - but for the day very pollished (particularly for the Stones) and they had a great song as their newest single. I must admit that I thought "Mixed emotions" would bomb on the charts as I thought it was a great album song but not that catchy to be a radio staple. Always though "Sad sad sad" was the obvious kick off single but what do I know given ME made #5 in the U.S and #1 in Canada?

Thought the tour was the most rehearsed and professional they'd ever done and it was just generally exciting seeing them in every music mag about current music they were doing and to not read about Ronnie being broke, Keith and Mick at each other's throats, Charlie being hooked on junk and meth and Bill playing pedeaophile.

Was very dissapointed that the tour skipped Australia but overall vibe excitement wise this was the Stones year I like to remember most fondly.

How about you?

Re: Most exciting period for you re the Stones
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 16, 2009 15:47

1982 because I hadn't see them for 6 years .
1995 too .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 16, 2009 16:33

1965 with Tell Me, Get off of my cloud, Satisfaction, Last Time and I'm moving on all of them at the top of swedish charts...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 16, 2009 16:41

I think 1969 but since i was not old enough to even go or care back then, i have to go with 1989..It almost looked like the end of the Stones and they opened in my home town of Philly, even before their new album was released....The excitment just kept coming back then....
The next was 1978 tour---Everyone was crazy back then..camping out to get tickets and then camping out again for good seats...The last tour without assigned seating....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 16, 2009 16:42

1964 to 1978.

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 16, 2009 16:50

1983, hearing Down in the Hole for the first time.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: June 16, 2009 17:05

1972 through 1978.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 16, 2009 17:24

Honestly, the present period, or the Vegas era as all so lovingly call it. 1989 was when I got my first Stones albums - Steel Wheels and London Years later for Christmas. Voodoo Lounge cemented the deal 5 years later, but Flashpoint was the second best live album I'd ever heard at that point (behind Macca's Tripping the Live). I remember being amazed at just how many great tunes the band had done, and then discovering the other gems NOT on London Years, like Under My Thumb, Monkey Man, and Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 16, 2009 17:27

scottkeef
1964 to 1978.

that's the one

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 16, 2009 17:57

In fact: January 2, 1969 (the day I was born...) up to the present.
With the following highlights: ...

1983, for hearing "Satisfaction" (seriously) for the very first time, and realising what a mindblowing sound it had/has;

1989, for then they were 'definitely maybe' heading for Europe again; first time I'd be able to see them play live ...finally!! (I missed their visit to Rotterdam in 1982.) I made a banner with a 'time-line', adding each concert day-by-day as they announced more and more European gigs in those weeks, and the schedule for the "Urban Jungle" tour got into shape... (I saw them 4 or 5 times, eventually.)

1994-1995, for going over to the USA to see the kick-off in '94, as a freelance reporter (I got to write the review of the opening show for a leading Belgian nationwide newspaper); and after that I enjoyed about 7 or 8 European gigs of what, in my 'area' & honest opinion, turned out to be the best tour they'd ever do...

And then, 1996, for the release of "Stripped"... That's the way I like'em!!

In fact: I could go on & on...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 16, 2009 18:01

Filip020169
In fact: January 2, 1969 (the day I was born...) up to the present.
With the following highlights: ...

1983, for hearing "Satisfaction" (seriously) for the very first time, and realising what a mindblowing sound it had/has;

1989, for then they were 'definitely maybe' heading for Europe again; first time I'd be able to see them play live ...finally!! (I missed their visit to Rotterdam in 1982.) I made a banner with a 'time-line', adding each concert day-by-day as they announced more and more European gigs in those weeks, and the schedule for the "Urban Jungle" tour got into shape... (I saw them 4 or 5 times, eventually.)

1994-1995, for going over to the USA to see the kick-off in '94, as a freelance reporter (I got to write the review of the opening show for a leading Belgian nationwide newspaper); and after that I enjoyed about 7 or 8 European gigs of what, in my 'area' & honest opinion, turned out to be the best tour they'd ever do...

And then, 1996, for the release of "Stripped"... That's the way I like'em!!

In fact: I could go on & on...

you have 13 years left to go on and on about, too, so please proceed....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 16, 2009 18:47

1963 - 1969, then Mick Taylor joined and spoiled it all. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 16, 2009 20:35

1971-1973. Sticky Fingers, Hot Rocks, Exile, my first Stones show (age 12).

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: June 16, 2009 21:13

The Jumpin' Jack Flash video. It was the first time I heard the track as well.

Another great moment was at Wembley in 1973 when the Stones stopped the show - literally- because one (or maybe more) of the security guards was apparently beating up a member of the audience.
Mick repeatedly called out,"Hey you" if I remember correctly and, having got the prat's attention,said, "Come up here if you want a fight".
Then the whole security team walked out and the band carried on. It was a great concert.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 16, 2009 21:59

This is easy - 1969 thru 1974 - Stones at their BEST - LIVE on Stage!!!!!

MLC

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 16, 2009 22:10

SwayStones
1982 because I hadn't see them for 6 years .
1995 too .

Didn't want to edit my post .
but I thought the thread was about the "Most exciting period for you and the Stones on stage ".I didn't read it decently.

Here is my new answer :

1st time on TV (The IORR video ) May/June 1975
1st time I 've heard the band on the radio .1974

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: June 16, 2009 22:17

1965-1969

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 16, 2009 22:50

1978.....The Stones reclaimed their "Best Band In The World" status....Some Girls was all over the airwaves.....saw the '78 tour.....and was mailing for vinyl boots @ $5.00 a pop

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 16, 2009 22:56

Yep I have to go with 1978 because that was when I first became aware of them with "Some Girls". My mates were into punk, I was recovering from disco and I thought this album was the best thing I ever heard. They were already past their recording best (as I later discovered) but I still have a very soft spot for this one.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 16, 2009 22:58

I'd have to say 1964-1969. I was hooked on them from the first time I heard one of their songs. During that time I remember wearing out my vinyl of Aftermath and Flowers. Then, seeing them live in '66 at the Hollywood Bowl, and again in '69 at the Forum cemented that era as the best for me. Still love 'em, though, and have been fortunate to have seen them in all their incarnations, i.e., Brian era, Taylor era, and Ronnie era, the most recent in 2006 in Seattle.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 16, 2009 23:15

His Majesty
1963 - 1969, then Mick Taylor joined and spoiled it all. tongue sticking out smiley

Best answer of the year....at least...

Thanks, Majesty..

JR

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 17, 2009 00:45

'68........... then there was noting for a long time till there was Bleed and Ya Ya's (greatest time for me) and then came Sticky and Exile (an other great great time) and then there was Angie love that song (GREAT HIT in Holland) a lot of new fans where born..........and then my first disappointing LP GHS......but I love it now

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 17, 2009 00:49

I forgot to mention '73 first time I saw them alive ......at least they looked alive ;o)

Date: June 17, 2009 00:55

1978!! When they ruled New York City! And kicked Punk's ass.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 17, 2009 00:58

Dunno never had a period......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:01

In the 60s (being born in 57) I was only exposed via the great b/w programs of the day(Sullivan,Shindig,Hullabaloo) but it was still very exciting cause it was BRAND NEW and nothing could match the thrill of seeing the Beatles for the first time on that Sunday night in Feb 64! But I genuinely feel sorry for fans who didnt experience hearing Brown Sugar for the first time on AM(yes AM) radio or
buying SF or Exile on that shiny bug black vinyl disc and ripping off the cellophane slapping it on the TURNTABLE! Seeing the sheer power of the STONES on stage in 72,75 or 78! They kicked your a-s and made ya like it! It was truly a remarkable time and CANNOT honestly be fully appreciated for the music,culture(cheap good pot and NO AIDS to be scared of) and history! What a time to be there!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:50

stone-relics
His Majesty

Best answer of the year....at least...

Thanks, Majesty..

JR

Oh!? I thought the 69 tour was yer fav!?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:08

Harlem Shuffler
Another great moment was at Wembley in 1973 when the Stones stopped the show - literally- because one (or maybe more) of the security guards was apparently beating up a member of the audience.
Mick repeatedly called out,"Hey you" if I remember correctly and, having got the prat's attention,said, "Come up here if you want a fight".
Then the whole security team walked out and the band carried on. It was a great concert.
I got that show on mp3s (audience bootleg). The performance is totally awesome and pretty much exactly as you describe. I'll put 'em up for download here soon!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:25

Without too much considering:

1965 - Discovering the Stones with The Last Time, Satisfaction and their riotous first German tour visit and from then on taking them in my heart!

69 - Brian saying goodbye, Hyde Park, great 69 tour/live comeback.

70 - my first live gig. Yaya's!

76 - As I had been working for a concert promoter in early/mid 70's I was present on parts of 73 and primarily the 76 tour and so experienced some of the action from close by. Of course highlight of my Stones fandom.

81/82 - Great "comeback" tour(after near split) with huge audiences and a lot of press!

89/90 - The real comeback! ('course I know they were never really gone!) Although the tour appeared kinda slick and designed, the moment Mick and the band really entered that stage again gave me goose bumps! What a moment!

94/95 - Good tour! But highlights were those fantastic club shows!
Amsterdam was a gas!!

99 - Wembley and Club gig & Fan meeting.

Those were some moments of my"Stones journey" that come to my mind . .

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:25

live 2002; theater gigs announced. months later, i'm in a 4th row center aisle seat at the orpheum thtr. hadn't been that close in 21 years since my first 3 shows ('78-81) when i squeezed to the front row each time but those were stadiums and arenas.

live 1989; they return and for the first and last time ever, i get to see 6 shows on a tour including the tour closer in an arena the night after the pay-per-view.

studio 1968-1978. black and blue was the first 'new' album i bought after becoming a rock fan and new record buyer in 1975. from '75-'78 i got the whole back catalog. by the time i saw them in cleveland (front row) '78 it was just my 3rd or 4th concert, but my life's priority was set: rock and roll was my salvation, and the mick/keith combo was the nourishment and education. (and yes, jobs, college, relationships, career path, etc. predictably suffered, but music still rules my roost and keeps me alive). that 10 year period of recordings from JJF thru to SG remains my most favorite body of work. yes, even GHS, IORR and B&B.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home