Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track advice - "Rare" stereo mixes
Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 17:27

Okay, looking for some help from you fine folks if thats ok.

I travelled to the US recently on business and met a guy who used to be in the music industry, who passed me a CD containing five "incredibly rare" stereo remixes of studio Stones songs. I'm looking to see if what I have is commercially available or not, and if anybody has any history regarding these remixes. The songs are :

- Satisfaction
- Get Off My Cloud
- Time is on my side
- Mothers Little Helper
- As tears go by

The remixes appear to be genuine - they aren't like some "remixes" that feature on the net where someone has basically just recorded one stereo channel and mixed the track in Mono. Examples :

- Satisfaction : Most of the instruments panned in the right channel, very LOUD acoustic guitar mix in the left channel with a quieter but far more audible piano in the left channel.

- Get Off My Cloud : Again most instruments in the right channel, Brian's electric guitar very LOUD in the left channel, some backing vocals.

-As tears go by : the two acoustic guitar tracks split and panned hard left and hard right, no acoustic guitar during orchestral section.

NOTE : These might very well be commercially available, as I only own 1st generation Stones CD issues, and have never purchased recent re-issues or greatest hits compilations which may feature stereo mixes of these songs as described above. The remixes seem different (and weird) enough to be unique, though. They also appear to be done by the Brian Jones fan club, as he gets his own channel on the left, with the rest of the band on the right!!

Re: Track advice - "Rare" stereo mixes
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 15, 2009 17:30

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-19 20:16 by UrbanSteel.

Date: June 15, 2009 17:35

So potentially the others were all remixed for commercial release?

Cool - thats cleared that up!! Thanks for your help.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 15, 2009 17:42

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-19 20:16 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 15, 2009 17:50

SM s"Could You Walk On Water" disc 2 takes the wide stereo mixes from the japanese and german releases I believe. Theres also loads of wide mixes on Torn & Frayed's "Only When Its Frozen".

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 15, 2009 17:57

Does this link will help ?

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: June 15, 2009 18:05

Tricky76

Not quite, The "As Tears Go By" you've got is a fake. It's been a while since I've heard it but if memory serves me it's the regular version panned hard to one side & then guitar solo used as the other side with slight delay. A synth solo is added in the middle kinda loud to drown out what's underneath. Open the whole track in an audio editor & you'll see the synth part doesn't belong.

There is a true stereo mix of this tho, only one guitar but with the strings in nice stereo.

Date: June 15, 2009 18:18

Yep, all of the above checks out. Thanks for the information and links all of you, I was keen to understand what I had.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: June 15, 2009 20:08

vox12string
Tricky76

Not quite, The "As Tears Go By" you've got is a fake. It's been a while since I've heard it but if memory serves me it's the regular version panned hard to one side & then guitar solo used as the other side with slight delay. A synth solo is added in the middle kinda loud to drown out what's underneath. Open the whole track in an audio editor & you'll see the synth part doesn't belong.

There is a true stereo mix of this tho, only one guitar but with the strings in nice stereo.

I think the stereo version you refer to is not, in fact, the version released as a 45 and LP track, but an excellent quality recording of a rehearsal for the Ed Sullivan Show, without any vocals. If I am wrong, I would love to know where/how i could gte a stereo version of the official release.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 15, 2009 20:22

I´ve got the true stereo mix of As Tears Go By on a 1973 pressing of "Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)".
Matrix on the b-side is XZAL-7504-6D.
There may of course be other pressings with this matrix.
Hope this helps...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-15 20:29 by rootsman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home