Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Favorite Band before awakening to the Stones?
Date: June 15, 2009 12:10

When I was a kid, I listened to The Beatles. Eventually, I grew up grinning smiley

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 15, 2009 12:46

AC/DC and Iron Maiden
AC/DC brought me to the blues and to the Stones

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 15, 2009 14:46

timbernardis
Gazza - is your favourite today the Stones, Springsteen, Dylan, other(s), a tie in there somewhere??

p

I could make a case for all 3 of them, depending on the mood. Springsteen (especially with the E street Band) has always been my favourite live act, has been the best artist in this decade and is probably the most consistent, Dylan edges it in number of great songs plus he's still making excellent records, but I've a bigger Stones collection than I have of anyone else, have been a fan for longer plus I've seen them considerably more times too - the only minus point with the Stones that differs from the other two is that creatively they've been coasting for the last few years and aren't really artistically driven anymore.

I would listen to the 3 of them pretty much equally. Although it helps if they've a new record out and are on tour.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 15, 2009 15:03

Was brought up on The Beatles,still love 'em.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 15:13

Well, the first cassette I bought was Whitesnake's self-titled one in 1987. I have always loved AC/DC, and I suppose technically in terms of knowledge of songs, they should really be my #2 band to this day, but I list them lower usually. I grew up in a Beatles household (early stuff only), and that was really my favorite band before getting a life.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 15, 2009 16:12

I started listening to rock in the mid seventies and the first band my sister got me into was the Beatles then Aerosmith then The Who. Then I finally heard the Stones and there has never been another

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 15, 2009 16:31

James Brown's band;the Stax band.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 17:33

Sadly for me it was slade.

But after hearing honky tonk women, there was only one way i was going.

Date: June 15, 2009 22:16

The Beatles. But then I still prefer the Beatles even now.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: June 15, 2009 22:49

I followed all the 60's rockbands about equally until YaYas hit. Then I was converted completely with the Stones at the top of the pile for good. Just before YaYas I probably would have put the Doors on top with Morrison Hotel their most recent on my turntable the most.

HBK

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 15, 2009 22:52

About half a dozen started with the Beatles and then turned to the Stones.
Does anyone know a Beatles forum with the same question?!
("Well, I have to confess I started with Let's Spend The Night Together but now I prefer I Wanna Hold Your Hand.")

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 15, 2009 22:56

I was 16 when I discovered Some Girls and Love You Live in '76-77

Up til then was an Aerosmith fan, and still am of their music of that era

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 15, 2009 23:06

I think most of us where youngsters in the sixties, at least I was bhought my first Beatles record in '66 12 years old, so I think I was to young for the Stones to be honest I can't recall one Stones tune from that time, started in '68 when I discovered all the records from my older brothers and sisters.

Still love the Beatles

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 23:35

Lynyrd Skynyrd was my favorite band starting at around the age of 12 or 13 and I was into them on up into high school. I thought they were just the greatest, as I think most every boy who grows up in the American South since the late 70's goes through a Skynyrd faze. I had always heard Stones songs on the radio and really dug them but was only familiar with "Satisfaction" and "Honky Tonk Women" and "Paint It Black" and "Jumping Jack Flash", etc...

I started getting into Cream and Hendrix and Stones and I got Hot Rocks and then just a few weeks into my junior year of high school, I got Exile On Mainstreet my life was never really the same. That sounds exaggerated and cliche but it's true. Exile totally changed the way I listened to music and became the end-all and be-all for me as a piece of music. I still think it's greatest album ever made by anybody.

It's funny that I can still remember the exact day that I bought Exile On Mainstreet. I had Hot Rocks and maybe Ya Ya's and Through The Past Darkly and was really digging the Stones so I decided to get some of their albums. This was just a few weeks into my junior year of high school. I played football and this was my first year as a varsity starter at wide reciever. It was a friday night, our open date, meaning it was the one friday during the season when we didn't have a game and I was driving to Big Stone Gap to see Powell Valley play. They were our hated rivals and also our next opponent and alot of the boys on our team went that night to get a look at them. I stopped at Wal-mart (this was before I started buying my music else where) and was looking for Sticky Fingers but they didn't have it. They did have Exile though so that's what I bought and it had a profound influence on me, to say the least.

Before I got Exile On Mainstreet, I still considered Lynyrd Skynyrd to be my favorite band. Even today, although I don't listen to Skynyrd much anymore, I still try to acknowledge the influence they had on me. They turned me on to bluesy rock and roll like Cream and Hendrix and the Stones and from there I dug deeper. Skynyrd guitarist Allen Collins was pretty well single handedly the reason I started playing guitar. He was the one guy that really moved me and made me want to play.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: June 16, 2009 00:33

Oh might as well admit it. Donny Osmond. No kidding. I was only 10 years old.

Date: June 16, 2009 04:59

today, although I don't listen to Skynyrd much anymore, I still try to acknowledge the influence they had on me.

- me too

but everytime when I do put (the original) Skynyrd on, I find I listen to them non-stop for a week

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 16, 2009 06:54

I'm not sure what you mean by awakening. I have always loved music of all sorts and the Stones happen to be one of many bands I love. I have an older brother who played them incessantly as I was growing up so I have never known a time in my life without them.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 16, 2009 07:39

Elvis, although I didn't know the band behind him.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:04

AngieBlue: Donnie Osmond?

You really have been corrupted. : )

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:43

My mother was sure it meant I was going to hell. I went from a Donny poster on the wall to the largest Keith poster I could find. Whereas I see it as the day I developed taste.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:16

AngieBlue
I went from a Donny poster on the wall to the largest Keith poster I could find.

Got any Marie posters lyin' around?

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:50

The Doors MEZ

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 06:33

None really - just the regular radio friendly random rubbish until I became fully aware of the Emotional Rescue / Tattoo You / Still Life [1980 to 1982] period where the Stones were everywhere & on the radio every hour without miss.

It was then that the mighty UNDERCOVER quickly followed by the REWIND VHS that cemented my unwavering bond to the greatest ever band.

Thankyou UNDERCOVER & thankyou STONES.

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: June 17, 2009 10:28

ABBA

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 19:10

Taylor Era

but everytime when I do put (the original) Skynyrd on, I find I listen to them non-stop for a week

I love the original band but where I live, we get Skynyrd shoved down our throats alot. In every bar band I've ever played in, we've covered Skynyrd songs. I've played "Sweet Home Alabama", "Simple Man", "Gimme Three Steps", and "Call Me The Breeze" so many times that I'm sick of them.

Other than the hand full of Skynyrd songs that I'm totally burnt out on, I still like to listen to them occasionally. I love "Tuesday's Gone", "The Needle And The Spoon", their smoking live version of "T For Texas", and alot of album cuts that you won't hear much on the radio.

I think they could have done great things with Steve Gaines and were about to enter another league when the plane crashed.

Date: June 17, 2009 20:08

''Other than the hand full of Skynyrd songs that I'm totally burnt out on, I still like to listen to them occasionally. I love "Tuesday's Gone", "The Needle And The Spoon", their smoking live version of "T For Texas", and alot of album cuts that you won't hear much on the radio.

I think they could have done great things with Steve Gaines and were about to enter another league when the plane crashed.''

... oh yeah, fer sure... when I heard the stuff with Gaines, it was like a whole new plateau was being reached. 'T for Texas' live is incredible. In fact that entire live record is pretty incredible. I agree some of the album cuts, the lesser heard stuff, is fabulous. I especially like stuff like;

All I can do is write about it
Comin home
Railroad song
Four walls of raiford
Swamp music
Trust
Every mothers son
Wino
Honky tonk nightime man
I know a little
I never dreamed
Ballad of Curtis Leow
and especially ..Roll gypsy roll

.. never tire of that stuff ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 20:09 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 17, 2009 22:37

There were so many... The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Seger, Huey Lewis & The News, Aerosmith, Little Feat to name a few.

It wasn't until I heard "Midnight Rambler" off of Hot Rocks (actually the first Stones album I ever bought) until "it all made sense". The blues, rock, rock & roll, everything laid out in front of me care of The Rolling Stones.

Peace,
DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2009 22:37

Queen

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: June 17, 2009 23:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-18 01:31 by Riffbuk.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: June 17, 2009 23:23

velvet underground
bowie
Led zep
the who

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home