Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Taylor and the wah-wah
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: June 6, 2009 15:47

I'm listening to the Perth show and noted Taylor is playing the first solo with the wah-wah pedal. I'm trying to find another Taylor GS with wah-wah but can't find it.
Do you know if Perth is the only GS with w.w. available?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-06 16:01 by straycat58.

Re: Gimme shelter in Perth 1973
Date: June 6, 2009 15:54

maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember the wah wah in STP tour nor in 69...

Re: Taylor and the wah-wah
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 6, 2009 16:06

he played it on GHS and the 1973 tour mostly. Doo Doo Doo, 100 Years...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 6, 2009 16:13

definately the only GS with wah wah...

Date: June 6, 2009 16:15

yes Amused, hence I think Perth it's the first time the wah wah is played on Stones stage.

This version, and would say all the Perth show, is superbe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-06 16:16 by straycat58.

Date: June 6, 2009 16:24

yes stray cat - superb concert in 40 degrees heat C !!!

bitch, GS simply rock!!!!

gotta love those outdoor venues in Oz !

Date: June 6, 2009 16:32

There's a killer version of All down the line and an excellent Little Queenie. Midnight rambler is one of the best ever. I suggest to find the Tarantura version Back Strap Jacket

Regretfully there's no book reporting the Winter Tour, nor the European 73 Tour. Maybe it's time Genesis publish something about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-07 17:55 by straycat58.

Date: June 6, 2009 16:38

yes MR, ADTL & LQ are superb also...
perfect if you take out the amazing errors that Charlie Watts was doing during the start of gimme s.
It's probably the most enegetic concert the Stones have ever given....and I know guys who went to the show...lucky bastards...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 6, 2009 19:56

Taylor's use of the wah-wah in concert in '73 was pretty subtle. There are no examples of where you can hear it being used to great effect. So soaring, throaty typical wah-wah rock solos, which you can hear on the studio version of 100 Years Ago (perhaps that song had the most wah in concert as well).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 6, 2009 20:20

"Stranger in this town" is another fine example ..

Date: June 6, 2009 21:08

Straycat, he uses the Wah Wah well on the 73 London shows. Matter of fact I think it is GS that stands out.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 6, 2009 21:16

There's a '73 JJF with some wah-wah. Yeah, Taylor dabbled with it starting in '73 and uses it to this day. Toys to play with to hold his interest.

I was told a story about the well known '90 Roxy shows. Someone thought Taylor was using the wah-wah too much during the first show. So, it was hidden during the break. Before the second show Taylor came out, noticed it was gone and set out on a search. He found it, hooked it up and never said a word about it.

When you can finger the notes, hit the tones and use bends and vibrato and slide as well as Taylor, why bother with a wah-wah? But that's just how I feel about it. A little goes a long way with me.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 6, 2009 22:02

I think I recall hearing the wah used on a '72 recording. Possibly "Midnight Rambler" from New York 7/26/72. Certainly wasn't used alot if at all in '72. But it was definately used some on both the '73 Winter tour and more on the '73 European tour.

I could be wrong about the '72 MSG version of "Midnight Rambler". I'd have to go listen to it again.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 6, 2009 23:07

The Perth GS was shambolic and Taylor likely used the wah wah because it would be less clear that the pieces of the band weren't fitting together.

I do not recall the wah wah during the '72 tour. I had thought it was used during the break in Rocks Off ("feel so mesmerized"), but as far as I can tell it is not.

During the '73, he used the wah wah effect in various songs, GS, MR, JJF, etc. but only for portions of a solo or fills, not for an entire solo as far as I recall. However, as indicated by others, it was extensively used in 100 Years Ago.

The following is from Gothenburg:

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 7, 2009 01:50

It actually looks like a Colorsound wah in that picture (large bright colored case with chrome top and black sticker in front). Pretty cool!

Date: June 7, 2009 04:05

LieB
It actually looks like a Colorsound wah in that picture (large bright colored case with chrome top and black sticker in front). Pretty cool!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 7, 2009 13:55

Smokey

I asked BV to remove the pic as it used without permission.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-07 13:55 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: June 7, 2009 14:04

mickijaggeroo
Smokey

confused smiley

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 7, 2009 14:07

Amsterdamned
mickijaggeroo
Smokey

confused smiley

The picture is taken without permission from [www.stonesvikings.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: June 7, 2009 14:32

mmmh , I was not able to detect the wah wah in MSG 72....
Unless new findings, I think we can assume Perth was the first time.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2009 15:11

mickijaggeroo
Amsterdamned
mickijaggeroo
Smokey

confused smiley

You are mistaken here: you do not need permission to relink or show pictures on a website taken from another website as long as the photographer did not work for an agency. As a courtesy you can identify the source, but there are no copyrights involved here -stonesvikings.com nor the photographer can claim any rights for using any of the pictures on internet.

The claim on your website that you need permission to reproduce any of the pictures is a void claim. Once you publish non-copyrighted pictures on an open public source the pictures become pubic domain.

Mathijs

Date: June 7, 2009 15:30

Mathijs
mickijaggeroo
Amsterdamned
mickijaggeroo
Smokey

confused smiley

You are mistaken here: you do not need permission to relink or show pictures on a website taken from another website as long as the photographer did not work for an agency. As a courtesy you can identify the source, but there are no copyrights involved here -stonesvikings.com nor the photographer can claim any rights for using any of the pictures on internet.

The claim on your website that you need permission to reproduce any of the pictures is a void claim. Once you publish non-copyrighted pictures on an open public source the pictures become pubic domain.

Mathijs

Thanks,that's what I meant.

Date: June 7, 2009 19:31

straycat58
mmmh , I was not able to detect the wah wah in MSG 72....
Unless new findings, I think we can assume Perth was the first time.

Yeah maybe I'm thinking of another show. And maybe I'm getting it confused with some version of "Midnight Rambler" from '73.

I wouldn't assume Perth was the first time though. The wah was used quite sparingly at Perth and that was late in the '73 Winter tour. It was probably used sparingly on other '73 Winter tour shows as well.

Posted by: doster ()
Date: June 7, 2009 22:34

I love Mick Taylor, but this is kind of a funny story about a show in the late 80's or early 90's in Cleveland.
Taylor blew his amp and the opening act's guitar player lent him his.
Taylor was playing great that night, but I guess he was pretty messed up because he was working the wah, but it wasn't plugged into this replacement amp.
Great show anyway, probably the best I saw of Mick as a solo, so far.
Later in the year I recognized the opening guitar player at a record show and started to chat about that night.
Taylor ended up blowing this guy's amp and then gave him attitude when the guitarist asked him to sign a copy of Ya Ya's.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 8, 2009 00:07

"Taylor ended up blowing this guy's amp and then gave him attitude when the guitarist asked him to sign a copy of Ya Ya's"
Can you get more R&R than this?

Date: June 8, 2009 04:06

doster
Taylor was playing great that night, but I guess he was pretty messed up because he was working the wah, but it wasn't plugged into this replacement amp.

Force of habit?

I don't think he was messed up here, but notice how he fiddles with the guitar knobs at 0:00:15 & again(!) at 0:00:41.

Date: June 8, 2009 11:33

there's no sign of wah-wah use on any aussie shows except Perth. And no sign of wah-wah use on the Hawaiian shows earlier...
And I'm certain there was no wah-wah use during the US '72 tour.

Taylor used wah-wah during the european leg of the '73 Tour.

So Perth was the first time Taylor used a wah-wah pedal.

Date: June 8, 2009 19:37

Eleanor Rigby
there's no sign of wah-wah use on any aussie shows except Perth. And no sign of wah-wah use on the Hawaiian shows earlier...

That may be true but it would be hard to prove.
Perth may be the earliest concert recording we have with Taylor using a wah. That doesn't definitively mean that he never used one in concert prior to that show though. I'll agree that the '73 Winter Tour was probably the first time he used a wah on stage with the Stones and Perth may well have been the first concert where he used one, but you'd have to listen closely to alot of concerts to know, and even then, not every song played on the '73 Winter tour was recorded.

I actually remember hearing some sort of effect, it sounded a bit like a wah pedal, on "Honky Tonk Women" on the 2/27/73 Sydney show. It sounded almost like Taylor was using one during his rhythm part while Keith soloed. Could have been something else though.

Date: June 8, 2009 22:50

As a Hendrix admirer he should have used way back in the 6-tees??

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 9, 2009 21:25

Tumblin_Dice_07
Eleanor Rigby

That may be true but it would be hard to prove.
Perth may be the earliest concert recording we have with Taylor using a wah. That doesn't definitively mean that he never used one in concert prior to that show though. I'll agree that the '73 Winter Tour was probably the first time he used a wah on stage with the Stones and Perth may well have been the first concert where he used one, but you'd have to listen closely to alot of concerts to know, and even then, not every song played on the '73 Winter tour was recorded.

I actually remember hearing some sort of effect, it sounded a bit like a wah pedal, on "Honky Tonk Women" on the 2/27/73 Sydney show. It sounded almost like Taylor was using one during his rhythm part while Keith soloed. Could have been something else though.

Judging on the recordings and pictures we have of the pre-73 shows the Stones indeed never used any kind of effects pedal on stage until Taylor's use of the Wah at Perth. Harold Colson's picture's of literally every '72 show does not reveal a wah on stage at any show as far as I have seen.

The effect you might recall is actually the "stutter" -close the volume of the neck pickup and then rock the pickup switch back and forth. He used that quite a lot, for example on the New York 1972 SB.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home