Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Taylor and the wah-wah
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 9, 2009 21:32

HTW from Sydney is another track where you can hear Taylor's wah wah.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 9, 2009 21:33

Interesting, I just listened again, its there but he only uses it for a few seconds before the last chorus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-09 21:53 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 10, 2009 17:56

Mathijs

Judging on the recordings and pictures we have of the pre-73 shows the Stones indeed never used any kind of effects pedal on stage until Taylor's use of the Wah at Perth. Harold Colson's picture's of literally every '72 show does not reveal a wah on stage at any show as far as I have seen.

The effect you might recall is actually the "stutter" -close the volume of the neck pickup and then rock the pickup switch back and forth. He used that quite a lot, for example on the New York 1972 SB.

Mathijs

I don't think it's the "stutter". I know what that is. He used it alot on "Jack Flash" back then. I think I just confused MSG '72 with another version of MR from the '73 European tour.

I find it a little odd that Taylor would play the whole '73 Winter tour and only pull out the wah for the last three gigs. You'd think if the tour was nearly over, he'd stick with the same rig for the last few shows. But who knows? Do we have pics of Taylor's rig at any gigs on the '73 Winter Tour prior to the Perth and Sydney shows?

Date: June 10, 2009 17:57

ryanpow
Interesting, I just listened again, its there but he only uses it for a few seconds before the last chorus.

Yeah, I was quite sure I remembered hearing that.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: December 5, 2009 16:04

midnight rambler-brussells 73-at 7:35 in the song you can hear some wah from m.taylor.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: December 5, 2009 18:20

hello all, mick seems to use the wah wah mainly to adjust
and back the pedal off slightly to change the tone of his guitar
In HTW perth he seems to suddenly come alive in a humourous manner,
also immitating mick jagger with his guitarplaying in the tumbling dice solo
.i wish i'd been there.......

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 5, 2009 18:51

snipped from www.MickTaylor.net :

In between the guitar and the amp was a Cry Baby wah-wah pedal, and you can sometimes hear this being used on that boot that you mentioned (the King Biscuit Flower Hour recording from 1973). You can hear the wah-wah on "Midnite Rambler". You can also sort of hear it on the first solo to "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (that's not really a solo on the first section, but it sort of is).

You can hear the wah-wah set to a certain position but not pedaled on "Heartbreaker". The wah-wah is set to bring out the low midrange sounds (pedal on, but in the "up" position).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 5, 2009 22:06

Taylor is picking with his thumb in this clip. I never noticed him using this technique in the Stones.

Love the phantom harmonica!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 6, 2009 12:12

Mathijs
Judging on the recordings and pictures we have of the pre-73 shows the Stones indeed never used any kind of effects pedal on stage until Taylor's use of the Wah at Perth.

Don't forget Keith's use of the Maestro FZ-1 during 1965 - 1966.

In a wah related note, the stones first used a wah wah during the satanic sessions which can be heard on the Satanic Sessions box set.

Most likely a British/Dick Denney made Vox wah like so...

[www.wah-wah.co.uk]

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 6, 2009 12:36

from memory, I think Taylor also uses wah wah in Brown Sugar from Sydney but I'd have to check it to be sure

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 6, 2009 13:15

His Majesty
Mathijs
Judging on the recordings and pictures we have of the pre-73 shows the Stones indeed never used any kind of effects pedal on stage until Taylor's use of the Wah at Perth.

Don't forget Keith's use of the Maestro FZ-1 during 1965 - 1966.

In a wah related note, the stones first used a wah wah during the satanic sessions which can be heard on the Satanic Sessions box set.

Most likely a British/Dick Denney made Vox wah like so...

[www.wah-wah.co.uk]

Where do you hear the wah being used on the box set?

Mathijs

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 6, 2009 13:38

Mathijs
mickijaggeroo
Amsterdamned
mickijaggeroo
Smokey
The following is from Gothenburg:

I asked BV to remove the pic as it used without permission.

confused smiley

The picture is taken without permission from [www.stonesvikings.com]

You are mistaken here: you do not need permission to relink or show pictures on a website taken from another website as long as the photographer did not work for an agency. As a courtesy you can identify the source, but there are no copyrights involved here -stonesvikings.com nor the photographer can claim any rights for using any of the pictures on internet.

The claim on your website that you need permission to reproduce any of the pictures is a void claim. Once you publish non-copyrighted pictures on an open public source the pictures become pubic domain.

Mathijs
Sorry, but this is not true, at least not in Sweden where I live. Photo agencies has nothing to do with it. Sometimes a photo agency owns the picture, but the copyright is basically the same as if the photo was owned by a private person. Basic rule/law is: a photo is copyrighted by its owner regardless if it's published in a magazine, in a book or on the internet. You're not allowed to copy it without permission. But in practice, everybody does it, usually under fair circumstances. And if you only link to a picture (as in putting img-tags in a forum and pointing to the original url without making a copy of the file) ... it's kind of a grey area, but I'd say it's actually not permitted by default.
Anyway, I'm not the one who blames people ... I'm enjoying the pics. And I'm also voting on the Pirate Party in the elections...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-06 21:37 by LieB.

Date: December 6, 2009 14:25

Mathijs

Where do you hear the wah being used on the box set?

Mathijs

Volume 1 , Disc 1, tracks 13 - 14.

A Beat Instrumental article mentions that the stones and a few others were given grey wah's by Vox in 1967.

The sound heard on the aforementioned tracks is very much that of those Grey Vox wah's. Jimmy Page used one during 1967 - 1970.

I have a nice replica(guts) in an original enclosure...

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 7, 2009 06:16

gripweed
snipped from www.MickTaylor.net :

In between the guitar and the amp was a Cry Baby wah-wah pedal

As posted on the preceding page, it's a Colorsound, not a Cry Baby, which is what he uses these days.

71Tele
Taylor is picking with his thumb in this clip. I never noticed him using this technique in the Stones.

Try YCAGWYW from Berlin '73. It sounds like his finger picking style to me.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 7, 2009 07:00

<< Try YCAGWYW from Berlin '73. It sounds like his finger picking style to me. >>

You might be right, but I've never seen him with the Stones using this technique. Seems like he abandoned it after Mayall.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: December 7, 2009 15:34

"fast talking Slow walking" ..wah-wah in the beginning

1971.07.10-07.late
& 1971.10.14-11.23 Villa Nellcote, Villefranche-sur-mer, France

sounds more from "goats head soup sessions .

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 7, 2009 19:21

Was he (Atkins) the first one to use the wah-wah?

Date: December 7, 2009 22:14

mtaylor
Was he (Atkins) the first one to use the wah-wah?

No, that's probably a Dearmond tone/volume pedal.

[www.effectsdatabase.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 8, 2009 02:46

>I find it a little odd that Taylor would play the whole '73 Winter tour and only pull out the wah for the last three gigs.

What about on the Preston portion of the show? I just got the LIVE EUROPEAN TOUR cd today and thought I noticed some wah-wah but wasn't sure -- maybe on "Day Tripper"? Maybe not.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: December 8, 2009 03:25

a lot of times Taylor (and many others) just use the wah stationary as a kind of tone booster to help solos cut through the mix better.

Date: December 9, 2009 00:39

Glam Descendant
>I find it a little odd that Taylor would play the whole '73 Winter tour and only pull out the wah for the last three gigs.

What about on the Preston portion of the show? I just got the LIVE EUROPEAN TOUR cd today and thought I noticed some wah-wah but wasn't sure -- maybe on "Day Tripper"? Maybe not.

I was talking about the '73 Winter tour, not the '73 European tour. We know Taylor used the way in Europe in '73 and at the end of the '73 Winter tour, the debate was about when exactly Taylor started using the wah.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 9, 2009 03:07

Does "Winter Tour" = Australia? Wasn't it Summer during that tour down-under?

Date: December 9, 2009 12:30

Glam Descendant

There is something strange about that tour anyway from an instrument point of view. They started the tour with the same gear as they used on the '72 tour, but halfway they switched to new gear, some of it never to be seen again.

Taylor suddenly switches from his standard LP to a darkburst with the pickguard bracket still attached, Wyman switches from the Armstrong bass to the Gibson EB-3, Keith gets his LP Junior and SG Custom. There must have been a reason for them to change gear. It could be that when their plane was convisgated by the police as they where charged with drug trafficking they had to rent new gear, and decided to keep part of it or something like that.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 9, 2009 14:21

>> They started the tour with the same gear as they used on the '72 tour, but halfway they switched to new gear <<

but ... Keith had the dark red Junior and the white SG Custom at the Nicaragua Benefit show
which (of course) was just before the Winter Tour (or the first gig of it, depending on how you look at it)

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 9, 2009 14:22

Mathijs
Glam Descendant

There is something strange about that tour anyway from an instrument point of view. They started the tour with the same gear as they used on the '72 tour, but halfway they switched to new gear, some of it never to be seen again.

Taylor suddenly switches from his standard LP to a darkburst with the pickguard bracket still attached, Wyman switches from the Armstrong bass to the Gibson EB-3, Keith gets his LP Junior and SG Custom. There must have been a reason for them to change gear. It could be that when their plane was convisgated by the police as they where charged with drug trafficking they had to rent new gear, and decided to keep part of it or something like that.

Mathijs

Haha, weird! I suppose you mean the Winter tour?

Date: December 9, 2009 21:17

with sssoul
>> They started the tour with the same gear as they used on the '72 tour, but halfway they switched to new gear <<

but ... Keith had the dark red Junior and the white SG Custom at the Nicaragua Benefit show
which (of course) was just before the Winter Tour (or the first gig of it, depending on how you look at it)

You are right about the SG, did he have the Junior as well? So that leaves Taylor's darkburst and Wyman's Dan Armstrong.

Mathijs

Date: December 11, 2009 01:23

Glam Descendant
Does "Winter Tour" = Australia? Wasn't it Summer during that tour down-under?

The '73 Winter tour was the name of the Hawaii/Australia tour in Jan-Feb. of '73.

It's my understanding that this time of year is actually in the Summer time in Australia, but it's Winter for most of us.

The '73 European tour took place in the Fall, beginning, I think, in Sept. and ending on October 19th.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 919
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home