Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot neil young archives
Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: June 3, 2009 20:17

I just got neils archives on dvd and what a great 1st class set hopefully we can get the stones to care a little more about their legacy and produce something along these lines or at least put a little care in the exile reissue

Re: ot neil young archives
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 4, 2009 05:05

I'm not holding my breath but one can hope...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 4, 2009 07:59

For those interested, CDuniverse.com has the archives DVD version for "only" $185.....

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 4, 2009 11:39

if you buy the dvd version than just for the movies, the sound is much better on blue ray, if you just need the music than buy the cd. So I would say, CD or Blue-Ray, DVD is absolute worthless

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: June 5, 2009 14:35

I say, torrent it, and undercut Neil Young's foolishness, in making this set so expensive, and so expansive.

Somehow he is "asking for it".

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 5, 2009 15:03

I think a better idea would've been to re-release his back catalog in hi-def format and then release an "Archives" box set of purely unreleased material.
Then you could have the choice of purchasing the stuff you already own again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 19:49 by vudicus.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 5, 2009 15:13

I agree, the whole thing is a batter.

Date: June 5, 2009 15:20

Batter??? cool smiley damm you pudgy fingers!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-05 15:21 by vudicus.

winking smileyRe: ot neil young archives
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 5, 2009 15:31

vudicus
Batter??? cool smiley damm you pudgy fingers!

winking smiley But you´re right about the live albums, milking the peoples hard earned money seems to be the thing.

Date: June 5, 2009 17:07

Luckily I've fallen behind on my Neil Young albums and don't have any of the live albums in this boxset - I do have his latest archived live release, but for this one I'd be OK. As for the Blu-Ray, I don't have a player, have no plans of buying, and can't see the point of plunking over the extra dough when the DVD will do the same thing for me here...

Posted by: Miranda ()
Date: June 5, 2009 21:17

Hi everyone,

I am new here on the Stones Board but I have been following the posts for a long time.
I have to say this about the archives because it is really bothering me:

I am a hardcore neil young fan so I bought the DVD box. Almost everything i already have on CD was in the Archives. I expected much more from the Archives, I cannot imagine Neil Young spending 20 years!! on just having us wastch a tape recorder with all the lyrics on every song!! I expected much more live material.

But is is for almost the whole DVD set the same: You'll see a turntable or a tape recorder with the lyrics and sheet music for almost every song.

The Video Footage is so minimal....to me this is a rip-off.

For people expecting live footage: don't buy the archives.

Good thing though: You can watch Neil play Alabama and Are you ready for the Country in the barn. Oh, yes, and neil in a record-store complaining about a bootleg...for only USD 200!

For me this is a complete letdown. I did not expect Neil would rip me off like this...

Date: June 5, 2009 21:47

Well I'd be gettin the DVD to listen to in surround and of course for the film, Journey Through the Past.

Date: April 7, 2010 16:19

Did anybody buy the Bluray box set?

I'd like to hear opinions of the "Journey Through The Past" film transfer.
This is the most tempting part of the set for me, but I don't really want to shell out big bucks if the film isnt of very good quality on there.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2010 17:42

You cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Regardless of what the transfer quality is like, it still doesnt make 'Journey Through The Past' anything other than self-indulgent dross.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 7, 2010 18:11

Miranda
I am a hardcore neil young fan so I bought the DVD box. Almost everything i already have on CD was in the Archives. I expected much more from the Archives, I cannot imagine Neil Young spending 20 years!! on just having us wastch a tape recorder with all the lyrics on every song!! I expected much more live material.
But is is for almost the whole DVD set the same: You'll see a turntable or a tape recorder with the lyrics and sheet music for almost every song.
The Video Footage is so minimal....to me this is a rip-off.
For people expecting live footage: don't buy the archives.
Good thing though: You can watch Neil play Alabama and Are you ready for the Country in the barn. Oh, yes, and neil in a record-store complaining about a bootleg...for only USD 200!
For me this is a complete letdown. I did not expect Neil would rip me off like this...
the reason it took Neil 20 years is because he was waiting for technology to catch up to his ideas. with bluray, it has. the sound quality is up to his standard. the fact that you can hook the archives up to the internet and be able to download updates. you can explore the disc while listening to music. don't judge his final product on the dvd alone. if it were up to neil he would have released it as a bluray only, but he had to appease the mass market by releasing it on dvd and cd.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 8, 2010 07:46

OT, but the new Neil concert film, directed by Jonathan Demme, is terrific. Called "Neil Young Trunk Show."

Date: April 8, 2010 09:03

Well, I'm back and i have been watching/ listening to the Archives many times now. I must say, after all i am not that dissapointed in it anymore...

The point is, the ones who have all the unreleased matererial already on bootleg, there's not much new on this set.

But it is a must have for those who don't have the bootlegs. And..the sound is just much, much better!

To be honest, I find it a fantastic set now. One has to take the time to shoft through it...it IS a bunch of material...

So..now i am waiting for the follow up of Archives no.1. Imagine the good quality of the 1973 shows..

Oh...and to CC: Indeed the Trunk show will be fantastic!! I just cannot wait for it to be released here in Holland!!

Date: April 8, 2010 15:21

Miranda,
Did you get the DVD or the Blu-Ray version?
VL

Date: April 8, 2010 16:11

Hi VoodooLounge,

I got the DVD version, I couldn't afford the blue-ray version.
I have seen the updates available for the Blue ray version, but luckily i have these already on good bootleg quality..

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 13, 2010 16:12

I am a big Neil fan and have all his cds and his bootleg series shows he put out but I could not bring myself to buying this since I own so much of it already. Sucks that he includes all the archive series concerts that he has been releasing. Who wants to buy all these over again.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 13, 2010 18:37

neil is very fan friendly with his catalog and archives but it helps that he is on his own. and doesn't have that "ROLLING STONES" legacy that he has to live up to. but "neil young trunk show" is great! too bad "shine a light" could not have been like that. it would have captured a small theater show perfectly.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 13, 2010 23:39

"torrent it"
Morally I won't (it's a well-thought object that deserves my money. Otoh the super-sucking EOMS box is sth i'll gladly DL for free).

Technically I couldn't bring myself to do it : imagine 25 Gb x 10... urgh!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 14, 2010 00:15

I shelled out the $300.00 for the blu-ray version and have NO regrets at all...the sound quality of blu-ray audio is beyond amazing!smiling smiley Petty's Live Anthology has a blu-ray audio disc as well...blu-ray players are down to a hundred bucks...Gazza is right about Journey Through The Past, I guess I was pretty stoned when I watched it thirty years ago!smiling smiley

Date: April 14, 2010 03:22

I have not yet bought this because I don't have a new stereo receiver to hook my Blu-Ray player up too. But from what I've heard/read, Neil missed a great chance to give us loads of video. After a twenty year wait, I was expecting more. When I do upgrade, I'll look for a used copy on eBay. I have bought the limited edition box set of the first four albums on vinyl and the fidelity is outstanding. Kind of like the GYYYO remaster, I'm hearing things that I never heard before. It jumps out of the speakers. I can hear his fingers move across the strings when he changes notes. Wow! On the GYYYO remaster, you can hear people in the crowd talking in between songs like your standing next to them.

Scotty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home