Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT. Van Halen
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 1, 2009 16:12

I just watched a DVD Van Halen Live without a Net They played at the new Haven Coliseum
Iam not much of a Van Halen fan but WOW the show rocked.
what are your thoughts on this????

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: OT. Van Halen
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 1, 2009 16:13

Like Dave Matthews, Hootie and The Blowfish, and Garth Brooks a strictly US-based phenomenon >grinning smiley<

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 1, 2009 18:31

I love David Lee Roth-era Van Halen -- have all six albums from those years and love them all. I was very keen to see them reunite, but I'm a young fan from Sweden who have never seen them live so far. I agree that they're quite American and I guess not quite as big in Europe. Either way, their 2007-2008 tour is said to be very good -- lots of good songs and apparently great performances. If they release a dvd or live album, I'm buying it (even though I think there could be even better archive releases from this band, kind of like How The West Was Won).

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 1, 2009 18:44

awful, load of corporate rock-lite shite

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: June 1, 2009 19:01

GREAT GREAT tour. DLR is the man

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: June 1, 2009 19:03

I hate 'em.

Date: June 1, 2009 21:23

Well, they play their instruments- amd quite well. And put on a great show

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 1, 2009 22:01

That was their first tour with Sammy, which took the band in a different direction. The one criticism of the whole Sammy era was that he didn't want to do many DLR era tunes. On any given tour, they might do just a select few like Jump, Panama and You Really Got Me.
The 5150 album and tour were very successful for the band and I recall they did multiple shows in all the major cities. I saw them at BC Place in Vancouver.I
I seem to recall in an interview Eddie said he didn't really care for that video.
The reunion tour in 07 was huge for the band and it was their most successful tour ever, even though they only played North America. Hopefully they put out some new music. As far as American rock bands go, only Aerosmith and Metallica have outsold VH in the States.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 1, 2009 22:16

socialdistortion

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: June 1, 2009 22:56

Great band who can PLAY their instruments

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 1, 2009 23:00

sweetcharmedlife
socialdistortion

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I didn't know they were still together ..Is this a new Reality show on A & E?

Date: June 1, 2009 23:21

Yes, they were GREAT 2 years ago. Do not miss them next time.

DLR = The MAN!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 1, 2009 23:24

think the over/under dividing line for VH is somewhere around 45. i'm over that and fall in with those who would rather have their ears forceably removed from their heads than be forced to listen to VH.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-01 23:25 by T&A.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 1, 2009 23:31

For once I think ya right, T&A. I'm 45 & I can barely stand'em.
But I liked them a lot back then, in the heydaze.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: June 1, 2009 23:33

Van halen is agreat band and its too bad that europe hasn't had the opportunity to see them very much. The heyday is over but they were a great rock band in the late seveenties and early eighties with DLR as a frontman. I saw them several time and they were awesome.
Also saw them with SHagar as lead vocalist and while the show was good it wasnt as fun or raw. SH Van halen had more hits but DLR Van Halen rockers. hard to beat their first album.

And for the folks that hate them, have you seen them?

Date: June 1, 2009 23:37

jjflash73
Van halen is agreat band and its too bad that europe hasn't had the opportunity to see them very much. The heyday is over but they were a great rock band in the late seveenties and early eighties with DLR as a frontman. I saw them several time and they were awesome.
Also saw them with SHagar as lead vocalist and while the show was good it wasnt as fun or raw. SH Van halen had more hits but DLR Van Halen rockers. hard to beat their first album.

And for the folks that hate them, have you seen them?

i don't hate anyone. i don't like the music they make and generally speaking i don't buy tickets for people who make music i dislike; i'm weird that way.

so, age, please?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 1, 2009 23:40

Mullets, Spandex, Budweiser......those were the days

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 1, 2009 23:43

VH is near and dear to my heart becaus they were the opening act for my precious 78 tour show in New Orleans. Good for Diamond Dave and Eddie.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: June 1, 2009 23:43

"So Age please", what does that mean? Are you familar with the VH first album?

Date: June 1, 2009 23:53

just wondering if you are over or under 45. i'm working on a thesis here. thanks. i'm at an age when VH ruled the airwaves when i was in college, so yes, i'm familar with all things VH from that era....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 2, 2009 04:05

Shawn20
VH is near and dear to my heart becaus they were the opening act for my precious 78 tour show in New Orleans. Good for Diamond Dave and Eddie.

13 July, 1978 ! Yeah, I was there too.
Also saw VH at some dump in New Orleans just a couple of months before the Stones show.
I never missed a chance to see them during those days.

Saw VH for the last time sixteen months ago. Not the same at all.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 2, 2009 05:58

Allright seriously. STD does have a case with his thesis. I'm 46,loved VH in my oh so long ago youth. As much of a HAgar fan as I am,didnj't really dig Van Hagar...Chicken Foot is better. But I hope Eddie stays sober. He can ceratinly still jam. But Wolfie on bass and DLR are a joke.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2009 08:40

Eruption...5 minutes of guitar doodling, and I'm done. Eddie blazed a trail for Yngwie Malmsteen and other "shredders"...enough said.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: June 2, 2009 09:22

I do like VH but with Sammy Hagar. I can't stand Dave. I think Sammy has a great voice. I've got 3 boots of him with VH and great quality, he does a great job. As for now they should call it a day same thing with Journey.....call it a day! Don't get a singer that was in a tribute band, get Steve Perry back. But that won't happen. Last I heard Steve was forming his own band. Anyone got news bout that?

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 2, 2009 18:02

Never ever cared about them but recently I was caught by this song calld Panama, just loved it. Don't think I'll invest any time on listening to them but this song is just so alive.

Date: June 2, 2009 18:34

leteyer -- Panama is great and very typical of their style during their '78-84 years, so if you dig it, I really recommend that you check out especially their first, self-titled, album from '78. It's full of that kind of rock 'n' roll -- very catchy, rockin', fun and easy to get into. I think they played the whole LP during their '07 tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-02 18:35 by LieB.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 2, 2009 20:54

I love it when someone on here brings up a band that they like from any decade after the 60's. really generates some lovely responses. has to be said mostly negative.

Personally I rate Van Halen both of their most famous eras (although Mark III was a bit of a mistake if you ask me) They can crack out some good tunes, both good time rockers and some lighter waving ballads.

Has to be said if it was a competition between the two singers today then Sammy would blow DLR out of the water, especially the new Chickenfoot album Great stuff.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 2, 2009 20:55

the David Lee Crotch era was pretty good; kinda goofy, but ok

Date: June 2, 2009 22:23

Monkeytonkman
I love it when someone on here brings up a band that they like from any decade after the 60's. really generates some lovely responses. has to be said mostly negative.
No joking ... I can't believe how narrow-tasted some people here are. Not in this particular thread, but in general on IORR. Remember the Green Day vs. Wal-Mart thread of recent, which didn't really have to do with Green Day's qualities as a group, but still every other poster had to throw shit at their music.

To anyone on IORR -- if you don't appreciate an artist, tell us a good reason why instead of just showcasing your own ignorance.

That said, I'm 28 and I'm pretty darned difficult to turn on to most new music of today. But I hope I will come up with good insights and not just complain when I'm 50.

Date: June 2, 2009 23:34

when you're 50 maybe you'll realize that nobody is complaining and nobody really needs a reason for liking something or not liking something.

there - is that enough showcasing? cos there's more if that doesn't work for ya...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home