Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT The J Geils Band
Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:48

A band that passed me by, but the live FULLHOUSE is a wee gem, in the Dr. Feelgood Stupidity "live" category. crying out for a DELUXE TREATMENT.

any fans, where I should I check next, and dont say "Centrefold"

Re: OT The J Geils Band
Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: May 30, 2009 02:09

Early Geils was the best!!

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 30, 2009 06:23

I agree, the first album is a classic, as well as "Bloodshot."

Still have the red vinyl on that one, always thought that was cool.

Met Peter Wolf during band's first tour, opening for Canned Heat and Rare Earth in Virginia, and he went out of his way to be nice to a rather geeky looking 16 year old kid. I'll always be thankful for that.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 30, 2009 08:22

Great band! Wish they would get back on the road. Blow Your Face Out is incredible! That also could do with the deluxe treatment. LOVE IT! So alive and full of energy. A drinking band, and favorite adopted sons of Detroit. "Doin' it to it Detroit city!!!"

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 30, 2009 09:58

according to Atlanta's Hippies ( [www.messyoptics.com] )

Mario was backstage [in Boston] when he heard a band on stage playing his favorite song, 'Serve Me Right To Suffer.'
"When I heard the song it blew me away," said Mario. That's when he rushed stage front to get a look at the band playing the song.
"Holy Shit," I said when discovering the guys playing the song were all White boys.
They were a Boston band known as The J. Geils Band whose hipster front-man was WBCN disk jockey, Peter Wolf.
Local critics were even claiming comparisons to The Paul Butterfield Blues Band.
"Man, they sounded so Black that I thought they were Brothers, you dig." … Atlantic Records' exec. Mario Medious quoted by
Phillip Rauls Blog: a personal history about Stax and Atlantic Records.

June 1971
Copyright Carter Tomassi

Date: May 30, 2009 15:50

Definitely early Geil's band. When Seth Justman took over, they topped the charts, and it was great material; just very different. The live stuff is good from early 70's.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2009 15:56

Did they open for the Stones at all the 1982 shows or just some (like Paris)?

Date: May 30, 2009 16:01

I think it was just some shows dcba. I saw them many times (the Stones) on that tour, and not once with J Geils. I remember vividly that at the particular time of the US leg, J Geils themselves were topping the charts with "Centerfold".

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: May 30, 2009 16:12

dcba
Did they open for the Stones at all the 1982 shows or just some (like Paris)?

They opened for the Stones in Gothenburg:

©www.stonesvikings.com
More here:[www.stonesvikings.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-30 16:13 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 30, 2009 18:28

J Geils (IMHO) was always one of those bands that was much better Live than on record.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 30, 2009 23:50

Palace Revolution 2000
Definitely early Geil's band. When Seth Justman took over, they topped the charts, and it was great material; just very different. The live stuff is good from early 70's.

WHen Seth Justman took over? It was always Peter Wolf and J Geils band. They got more commercial with Centerfold,but that was about it.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: May 31, 2009 01:12

Justman definitely took control of the band right after Centerfold. Hell, they fired Wolf and tried to make it without him....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 03:47

Yeah well from all accounts they fired Wolf because he was a raging alcoholic and the band was constantly fighting...and Wolf was not all that into the direction they were taking with Centerfold.

Date: May 31, 2009 04:48

Considering their album without him, he was probably right about the direction. Maybe the worst album by a big name artist/band of all time. And he couldn't have been that disabled by his drinking as his solo albums right after the break was far better than what the band put out....

Date: May 31, 2009 06:22

Yeah but from what I've heard of the show they did in Boston a couple monthes ago. They sound damn good and I would love to see them do a full scale reunion tour.

Date: May 31, 2009 06:47

I was at the first Boston House of Blues show and they were as good as when I used to go see them in the 70's....

Date: May 31, 2009 06:53

I think Sanctuary is actually a little underrated. You don't hear much talk about it among their best albums. But it was before they went real commercial and a hell of a lot better than Monkey Island.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-31 06:53 by sweetcharmedlife.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home