Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brussels Affair - Any overdubs?
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 28, 2009 21:29

After a long time I listened again to BRUSSELS AFFAIR. I bought the superb NASTY MUSIC bootleg back in 1977 (thanks, Hans!), and to this day those live recordings are Rolling Stones apotheosis for me because they thrill me exactly like the first time I listened to it. This is simply the best live album they have ever made - but never released! - , and though I also appreciate other live albums like GYYO very much for me nothing comes close to Europe 1973.

This raises the question whether you think that the album is heavily overdubbed or not. In comparison to other live recordings from that tour (Birmingham, Copenhagen, Essen, Hamburg) the Brussels recording seems to represent what actually happened in concert. Am I right or am I wrong?

Re: Brussels Affair - Any overdubs?
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 28, 2009 22:07

I know there were different mixes done of this recording made for the "King Bisquit" brcast and heard that Jagger was heavily involved but I've never read of any overdubs or re-recording being done.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 28, 2009 23:34

Don't remember having heard any dubbing.

Date: May 29, 2009 00:08

I don't quite understand the implication of Copenhagen, Essen, Hamburg, Birmingham not being representative of the actual live gig.

Date: May 29, 2009 00:15

Yeah, those shows would probably sound like "Brussels" too if they were all professionally recorded and mixed!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:26

If you listen to the later (1987-88) rebroadcasts, there was some remixing done. The version I have features the so-called "horn mix". In "Brown Sugar", the sax solo is brought up, and in a couple of other songs, the horn section is more audible. It's been written that Jagger personally supervised these "remixes", but I've read no confirmation of this.

As a matter of fact, the sax solo in "BS" is so loud that I wonder if Bobby Keys did later overdub it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 00:34 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:33

The guitar playing is so perfect on Brussels Affair that I've suspected overdubs, but I've neither heard any proof of it, nor any indications sound-wise.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:35

go to the trouble of over-dubbing for a radio broadcast? doubt it...

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:40

Noone really knows whether the Stones have launched several bootlegs by themselves. I read that "Liver Than You'll Ever Be" might have been a record released by the Stones to provide a live album that was ought to be much better than any bootleg released before or at the same time ... So, it's not that unlikely that had an impact on other bootlegs.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:43

You gotta remember that some of the "Brussels" radio broadcasts also contain songs from the Sept 9 Wembley show. The versions of "Gimme Shelter" and "Street Fighting Man" from Wembley rank amongst the most revered selections in the live canon.

Thanks to many bootleggers, "Brussels" has now achieved legendary status. I put together my own WMP playlist compilation, and yeah, it ranks amongst the best unofficial live albums ever.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:48

T&A
go to the trouble of over-dubbing for a radio broadcast? doubt it...

I agree that it seems doubtful, and I also don't hear any,

I have thought I heard overdubs on the Philadelphia show from July 20, 1972, which, I've been told, was broadcast at some point. Of course, the overdubs might have been done in anticipation of releasing it as an album, not for the radio show broadcast....

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:56

wasnt there a fair sized blunder on "All Down The Line"?...and wouldnt they have patched it up if there were overdubs?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 29, 2009 01:00

bassplayer617
Thanks to many bootleggers, "Brussels" has now achieved legendary status. I put together my own WMP playlist compilation, and yeah, it ranks amongst the best unofficial live albums ever.

i dont know why i've never seen it on any lists.

Date: May 29, 2009 01:17

Meise
Noone really knows whether the Stones have launched several bootlegs by themselves. I read that "Liver Than You'll Ever Be" might have been a record released by the Stones to provide a live album that was ought to be much better than any bootleg released before or at the same time ... So, it's not that unlikely that had an impact on other bootlegs.

Yes, that was rumoured at the time due to the quality of LIVER but if you read the SFJ issue dedicated to this tour the taper explains exactly what gear he used and how he used it as not to be seen from the band. Its more likely(and has been printed) that the success of LIVER forced the Stones and Decca to record and release YA YAs. On a interview segment that appears on "Static In The Attic" bootleg(from 1970 Swiss(?) radio) Jagger addresses the LIVER album as not particularly well recorded!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 29, 2009 01:18

Isn't there an aud tape of the 1st Bruxelles?
Would be simple to compare it to the radio version...

Date: May 29, 2009 01:23

Yes,there is (and its a pretty decent tape, too! As 35 year old aud tapes go.)

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 29, 2009 01:37

No, they sold the rights to KBFH, hence never had access to overdub it. I have the original reel to reel tapes from 74, both broadcasts, September and November, NO overdubs there.

JR

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:38

Right!
No Overdubs!

Just some remixing.
With Taylor on a given day the whole band just was less sloppy.(which still don't make them Gentle Giant,etc. . .)

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 29, 2009 05:18

street fighting man is also plagued by some errors...this wasn't touched up either.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 31, 2009 07:58

It's not overdubbed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home