Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Come On
Posted by: René ()
Date: June 3, 2009 10:29

Hey, this one's not from me (mind the dot after René.). This Renédot joker forgot c o c k sucker blues, come on is for next week. HA!

René

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 3, 2009 12:29

Amused
I'm getting ready, next song is going to be @#$%& Blues, right? ;-)

too late dude...the c ock has already been sucked.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 3, 2009 15:36

Anthony
Is it Ronnie who says he always wants the band to learn it?
Seems I read somewhere that Ronnie pushed them to rehearse Come On and others such as Tell Me for the Stripped album. But IF they did this song now I'm sure it would be a helluva lot different(probably closer to what Berry intended!)

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 3, 2009 20:15

René
Hey, this one's not from me (mind the dot after René.). This Renédot joker forgot c o c k sucker blues, come on is for next week. HA!

René

Now I'm REALLY confused ... Are you going to start another Come On?

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 3, 2009 20:32

they hadda start somewhere

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 3, 2009 20:37

Every huge career had to start somewhere and Come On is the single that started it all for the Stones - much more convincing than, lets say, Love Me Do for the Beatles. Of course, its not exactly a masterpiece, but, what the fock, they were teenagers when they recorded it, and as a starting point, I think its great. Its raw, it rocks, and it already has all the ingredients of the classic Stones sound. What more can you ask for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-03 20:38 by alimente.

Date: June 3, 2009 21:14

I respect everyone elses opinion but for the life of me I cant see how anyone sees this as raw and rockin(especially after listening to the original OR comparing it to their 2nd single) But thats just my take!

Date: June 3, 2009 21:24

scottkeef
(especially after listening to the original OR comparing it to their 2nd single)

Well, a step forward is always better than a step back. In that respect, its better that their 2nd single is a bit more developed than their first.

I love Come On for what it is. But even if some here dont, theres no need to over-analyze it, its their debut, they were young, and the best was yet to come.

Date: June 3, 2009 21:41

Well, I thought the idea of a thread was to have exchanging of views about things!
Anyway,heres what the Stones thought about it:
Mick-"I dont think "Come On" was very good.In fact,it was sh-t.We disliked it so much we didnt do it on any of our gigs."(The Rolling Stones Album. Penguin Group pp16)
Bill:To anyone who knew the band and its musical roots the song was really a lie(Stone Alone)
Bill:"We convinced ourselves that "Come On" was not very good(I think we were right too!) and refused to play it live. On June 27 Andrew came to the Scene Club and was furious with us for not playing it,he insisted we did from then on."(Rolling With The Stones p62)
Just food for thought.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 3, 2009 21:50

scottkeef
I respect everyone elses opinion but for the life of me I cant see how anyone sees this as raw and rockin(especially after listening to the original OR comparing it to their 2nd single) But thats just my take!

Put your sentence into past tense. This certainly IS not raw to us (and not in comparison what was to follow on lp or - do you mean 2nd single Wanna Be Your Man guitar solo?! - but WAS very raw to everybody then. Because nobody knew the original at all.
Remember: Mick and Keith re-met on Dartford Station with Mick having Chuck Berry records in his hand he got via mail order from the USA - though he was living in the London area!
Remember: Bill talking about the Jazz on a Summer's Night movie in cinema and people laughing their heads off as they regarded Chuck to be some kind of comedy act.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-04 12:42 by JJHMick.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: June 3, 2009 23:02

A very poor debut single.

...especially when compared to the kind of stuff they'd already been recording.

Date: June 3, 2009 23:03

I was responding to a post that used the word raw in the present tense.

Date: June 4, 2009 01:55

scottkeef
I was responding to a post that used the word raw in the present tense.

I used it in the present tense because I dont judge it from today, but from the perspective of the time it was released. Hell, Elvis debut Thats Alright Mama sounds raw for the mid-fifties, but people who grew up with HM, Death Metal or whatever hardcore stuff some decades later might scratch their heads when listening to it.

Date: June 4, 2009 02:04

drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-04 03:20 by scottkeef.

Date: June 4, 2009 02:11

scottkeef
And thats the same way i used it!

OK then, but now lets agree that my opinion is right and your opinion a bit far off the mark so that we will be able to finish this debate....its late over here, Im tired and need some sleep.

Posted by: René ()
Date: June 4, 2009 09:20

Hi Green Lady,

Yes, next week it's Come On again, that Renédot dude got the wrong info, see the release info for example.

René(withoutdot)

Date: June 4, 2009 15:27

LOL, OK I guess me and Mick and Bill will defer to you!! A pleasure talking to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-04 15:40 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 7, 2010 14:48

Barn Owl
A very poor debut single.

...especially when compared to the kind of stuff they'd already been recording.

Compared to the IBC sessions their debut single sounded somewhat silly. But don't forget they were still in the phase of trying to please the recordcompany. I'm glad they got the chance to release it and I see it as the first step in a brilliant recording career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-07 14:51 by Britney.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 7, 2010 14:57

Britney
Compared to the IBC sessions their debut single sounded somewhat silly and radiofriendly. But don't forget they were still in the phase of trying to please the recordcompany. I'm glad they got the chance to release it and I see it as the first step in a brilliant recording career.

Yeah, a case of them trying to get a foot in the door whilst still kinda sticking to their bring R&B to the masses ethos.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 7, 2010 17:07

The original is too fast - I like the BBC version.

Date: March 7, 2010 17:31

I much prefer the version with the solo. Both their versions are rushed, but having a short harp break gives us a breather. Also the solo version does not have the modulation in the song then.

Wasn't Rene's songlist already past 'C'?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-07 17:32 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: March 8, 2010 00:03

The Stones performed 'Come On' when they first appeared on British TV in 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' but I cannot find that video anywhere. Has anybody seen it? I remember seeing somewhere a photo from that appearance - they still wore those chequered jackets

Apparently they hated the song and didn't want to perform it live. I actually like it - it's sweet. I think it's much better than 'You Better Move On'.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 8, 2010 05:07

Yuck. bubble gum music

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 14, 2010 03:59

I really like this track, with its energy and raw enthusiasm and simplicity. Very winning. Charming, perhaps, is a better word. A perfect kickoff for a career that will soon hit the 50-year mark. God bless the Rolling Stones.

Drew

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2010 05:01

The rhythm section is clunky on this one. Bill seems lost. Micks not particularly convincing either. Didn't hear it until More Hot Rocks in '74(?). Was it even released in America in '63?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home