Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brown Sugar Was Recorded At Muscle Shoals But...
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:36

It certainly wasn't finished there. They did the live bottoms. Perhaps the finished it at Olympic or wherever else? This is something I've never bothered to look up but it occurred to me today that it's a multi-studio song, certainly not done in one place. I know they've done that for albums or certain songs on an album.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc...?

Re: Brown Sugar Was Recorded At Muscle Shoals But...
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 29, 2009 07:29

there are many different mixes of brown sugar on bootleg cds seems to me they worked a long time in the studio to find the right sound for the finished version

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 29, 2009 07:37

Mick's original vocal definitely came from there, and all the geetar work...all that was added was the sax..with much remixing...but, take it from a cat that has it all..the song IS basically FROM Muscle Shoals, Alabama....

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 20:19 by stone-relics.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 29, 2009 07:40

skipstone wrote:

but it occurred to me today that it's a multi-studio song

do u spend time daily pondering such things and at times coming up with great insights or at least great questions??!!

p

Posted by: 61' telecaster ()
Date: May 29, 2009 13:04

Which version is with E.C? There is 4 different versions on Tricky Fingers And Slicky Ringers but I can't say whether any of them is with E.C.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 29, 2009 13:11

...the one(s) that has Eric Playing on it/them.....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 29, 2009 13:38

BS was recorded in December 1969 right ? But the Stones released it in 1971 because of the fight with Klein ?
One said the recording technology had advanced by then, but they didn't re-record it because the original version was such powerful !

A year after this was first recorded, The Stones cut another version at Olympic Studios in London with Eric Clapton on guitar and Al Kooper on keyboards.

The bootleg version which has Eric Clapton playing lead slide guitar was recorded at a birthday party for Keith Richards. The bootleg version shows why Clapton likely did not get offered the job of guitarist . He played very quickly but there were no interaction with the rest of the band. They described it like a studio musician playing along with a CD that has already been recorded. In many interviews, Richards has spoken admiringly of Clapton's musicianship, but has always commented that the 2-guitar sound he and Ron Wood have developed is not Eric's cup of tea.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: May 29, 2009 14:16

691202A 2nd - 4th December: Florence, Alabama, Muscle Shoals Sound Studios.
Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineer: Jimmy Johnson.

3rd December:
- Brown Sugar I (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, very early vocal mix, with "oh baby" at end

- Brown Sugar II (MJ/KR) - STU on piano; new vocals, no sax, much better mix to
version I, from "Decca-acetate"

691209A 9th, 10th & 18th December: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
- Brown Sugar III (MJ/KR) - STU on piano; partly to be heard in Gimme Shelter-
movie, released on Hot Rocks (by mistake on 1st pressings only!)
- Brown Sugar IV (MJ/KR) -Bobby Keys on sax, Al Kooper on piano, Eric Clapton
on guitar; maybe recorded on the 18th December

700424A 24th April: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineers:
Glyn Johns, Andy Johns & Chris Kimsey. Final mixing.
- Brown Sugar V (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, with Bobby Keys on sax, MT hardly
audible
- Brown Sugar VI (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, Bobby Keys on sax; much clearer mix of
version IV, earlier strike up of Bobby Keys
- Brown Sugar VII (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, Bobby Keys on sax; Sticky Fingers-
version.
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 14:19 by slasausjes.

Date: May 29, 2009 15:47

No, I don't 'spend time' coming up with this shit, it just popped into my head. No worse than anyone else here you ding dong.

So see, my question was valid - it wasn't totally recorded (finished) in AL.

Date: May 29, 2009 16:32

skipstone
No, I don't 'spend time' coming up with this shit, it just popped into my head. No worse than anyone else here you ding dong.

So see, my question was valid - it wasn't totally recorded (finished) in AL.

Yes ,and it 's a good lesson revise for the next tour .winking smiley
Interesting question you asked .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: May 29, 2009 17:16

This is the most insightful, interesting question I have ever seen. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 29, 2009 17:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-29 17:23 by Lukester.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 29, 2009 17:42

off topic note: slasausjes has a long history of quoting The Complete Works-website without giving credit. It should have read
"taken from www.nzentgraf.de"

N

Date: May 29, 2009 18:46

socialdistortion
This is the most insightful, interesting question I have ever seen. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well, you're are not without knowing that English is not my birth langage .I have not a wide choice of words to express myself correctly .
Instead of " interesting question" I should may be having used the following sentense :" It's a way of reminding the great story of the great song "Brown Sugar" .

I have never met you , socialdistortion ,and as a "newbie" on IORR I won't be that self-important by giving you what can be mistaken as advices ,but I will try to be as respectful as possible.
I am always annoyed by reading on forums the acerbic comments from people who never themselves take the risk of throwing (launching ) a subject of discussion /thread .

Like in the real life where ones can't fit with everybody , the chat on the web works the same .
I easily understand some people aren't interested in my own concerns .
I am not always concerned by some people posts here.I just don't read them,but won't for sure criticize them. Question of respect.
If I don't agree with a quote,I'll try to find arguments .
Thanks for having read(en ) me .

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: May 29, 2009 18:53

Eric Clapton doesn't have the right "personality" to be a Rolling Stone...

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 29, 2009 19:08

SwayStones, you are already a valued contributor here...Those of us who speak English really appreciate the rest of you agreeing to communicate in English, and you do a fine job of it.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 29, 2009 19:17

Eric Clapton doesn't have the right "personality" to be a Rolling Stone...

Interesting view. how come?

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: May 29, 2009 19:22

Becasue that is a direct quote from Woody!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 29, 2009 19:41

stone-relics
The original vocal definitely came from their, and all the geetar work...all that was added was the sax..with much remixing...but, take it from a cat that has it all..the song IS basically FROM Muscle Shoals, Alabama....

JR

The vocals certainly aren't the original ones from the Muscle Shoals, both Jagger and Richards re-did their vocals in London. There's various takes with different versions of the lead vocals.

From the Muscle Shoals there's drums, bass, Taylor's light tremelo picked guitar (and only guitar by Taylor that ended on the released version) and Richards main rythm guitar. All else (including a dozen guitar overdubs from Richards) are from London's Olympic.

Mathijs

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 29, 2009 20:35

timbernardis
skipstone wrote:

but it occurred to me today that it's a multi-studio song

do u spend time daily pondering such things and at times coming up with great insights or at least great questions??!!
p
Seems to me that skipstone created a thread very much in keeping with what this board is about; the Stones and their music. Certainly no worse than worshiping a set list scrawled on plastic...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 29, 2009 22:27

Is there any truth to the rumour that the "birthday" version was seriously considered for release but the other was just too powerful?
And the take(whichever it is) with "Brown Suger, Brown Suger-sho tastes good" in the middle is a riot!

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 29, 2009 23:33

On the much circulated torrent "The Rolling Stone Magazines 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time" the version of Brown Sugar is one with Mick shouting "Yo!" and "Ahh-grrrrrrrrrrrrr" in the opening bars. It has some extra instrumentation and so on, but the bedtracks seems to be the same, or recorded at the same time as the original. But which of the seven versions (see above) is it? I hadnĀ“t heard it before downloading that torrent some years ago....

RB

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: May 30, 2009 10:25

NeddieFlanders
off topic note: slasausjes has a long history of quoting The Complete Works-website without giving credit. It should have read
"taken from www.nzentgraf.de"

N

I bet your favorite track is Uptight. But,if you really want it that bad:

it's taken from Zentgraf (like that's not common knowledge).

Date: May 30, 2009 13:54

It's a head shaker ...
Here comes a thread that IMO is everything that this board is about. And the author still gets slagged.

Date: May 30, 2009 21:13

texas fan
SwayStones, you are already a valued contributor here...Those of us who speak English really appreciate the rest of you agreeing to communicate in English, and you do a fine job of it.

Thanks a lot, it's very kind of you.

Here are some truths/fairytales stories I heard about BS.
I will be glad if you could confirm or invalidate them ...

1/ The song was Jagger's work, written during the filming of Ned Kelly in 1969 ???

2/ Originally recorded in three days at M.S Studios in December 1969, the song was not released until a year later due to argues concerning the concert at Altamont. In "Gimme Shelter" movie ,we can hear an another version in New York. This version is different from the record one by the rhythmic intro .

3/ When the Stones performed "Brown Sugar" on live, Jagger often changes the lyrics from, "Just like a young girl should, " Occuers in " Love You Live "and "Live Licks" ????

4/ Keith is singing the first verse, and lbackup the rest of the song for the "birthday party version"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-30 21:16 by SwayStones.

Date: May 31, 2009 05:06

Let's see, Chris M, SwayStones and Palace Revolution 2000 get it. There is a lot of O/T going on, because there is nothing going on with The Rolling Stones. And so something that I think is interesting is something I put up when I can. The ridicule is part of the game.

It's the goofballs like timbernardis and socialdistortion that are smart asses like this.

It's not big deal. It's normal. Happens everyday. But you see, even they have good things to say - and ask - so whatever. It's, in a way, a different and new subject to talk about. It's not about the warhorses set lists or hits comps or Rarities or Mick Taylor.

They hype of Brown Sugar has always been only Muscle Shoals. There's never been any mention, to my knowledge, of it being worked on anywhere else in print. Sure, there are websites that say things - there is one that is really good - that would be [www.nzentgraf.de] - and another one that is a bit more something else, which is [timeisonourside.com] .

Other than that, it's all unknown really. There are plenty of other songs that probably fit the same kind of curious questioning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home