Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Any Steve Earle Fans Here
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: May 24, 2009 00:07

His new album of Townes Van Zandt covers is excellent imo, Love the way he sings and writes. One of my favorite tracks is I Feel Alright

Re: OT-Any Steve Earle Fans Here
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 24, 2009 00:14

He's great. A frequent visitor to the Emerald Isle too. Just heard he's playing here in late September.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: May 24, 2009 00:21

Check out his son Justin Townes, too. His new record 'Midnight at the Movies' is amazing!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 24, 2009 00:28

Seeing Justin tonight.

Date: May 24, 2009 00:48

Steve Earle's great but I much prefer his stuff around 1996-1997.. like I Feel Allright...

I think he's lost a step.. The lyrics are great but the music is no longer as engaging as it used to be...

Date: May 24, 2009 04:01

Train A-Comin' and I Feel Alright (the two albums he did after he got clean around '94 or so) were his best records IMO.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 24, 2009 04:20

Love his music, not his politics.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2009 04:25

Hey don't forget his cover of Before They Make Me Run with The Suckers...

AND AND his cover of Nivana's Breed is a full-on powerhouse ...
Ya could shave to the blaze comin' off that thang ... As far as I can
remember it only got release on the Japanese copy of Transcendental Blues....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 24, 2009 04:51

Rockman

fantastic version. i asked eddie spaghetti to play it live again...will see him solo in a bar pretty soon...maybe then it happens.

Date: May 24, 2009 14:18

"Copperhead Road" is one of my alltime favorite ever songs.I was at the Fox show when he performed the song the very first time; before it have been recorded.
I used to favor the early material like "Guitar Town" and "Exit 0"; but then got into "The Revolution Starts Now" and "Alright" "Corazon". Like him a whole lot.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 24, 2009 14:39

Gazza
He's great. A frequent visitor to the Emerald Isle too. Just heard he's playing here in late September.

I'm a big fan too. I'm going to see him in the Longford Arms Hotel during the Johnny Keenan banjo Festival (the night before he plays Belfast, I think). Wouldn't be surprised if he turns up at some of the pub sessions over the weekend. Hoping it will be a bit different. Ramblin' Jack Elliot headlines the next night.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: May 24, 2009 14:40

Yes, I like Steve Earle ! But I have to admit; I promote his albums throught Socadisc, the french New West Records distributor. The last time he came in Paris (with his lovely wife Allison Moorer), he packed La Java Club two days. Great shows and he was very easy to work with.

YM

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 24, 2009 16:16

Steve is tremendous....The Unrepentant is one of the great rock songs of all time.

JR

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 24, 2009 17:00

Loved the album he did with the Del McCoury band. Amazing stuff.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 24, 2009 19:08

stoned in washington dc
Steve Earle's great but I much prefer his stuff around 1996-1997.. like I Feel Allright...

I think he's lost a step.. The lyrics are great but the music is no longer as engaging as it used to be...

I agree completely

Date: May 24, 2009 19:16

Yazid Manou
Yes, I like Steve Earle ! But I have to admit; I promote his albums throught Socadisc, the french New West Records distributor. The last time he came in Paris (with his lovely wife Allison Moorer), he packed La Java Club two days. Great shows and he was very easy to work with.

YM

Allison is a vision of loveliness. And an incredibly charming woman to boot. Steve did all right for himself there!

Date: May 24, 2009 19:20

Rockman

Another couple of great covers - his versions of Johnny Too Bad and Time has Come Today. Both are on that 'Sidetracks' rarities CD. Oh, and he does a great cover of Cash's 'Hardin Wouldnt Run' too.

As well as Before They Make Me Run, he's also performed Sweet Virginia, Dead Flowers and Take It Or Leave It.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-24 19:21 by Gazza.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 24, 2009 21:08

Here is a great version of Before They Make Me Run from San Diego 2000.

[www.sendspace.com]
and as Rockman says, Breed was great. Here it is:
[www.sendspace.com]

Same show
These are not commercially available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-24 21:11 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 24, 2009 21:59

Yeah, I like him...

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 24, 2009 22:12

huge fan here. seen him in clubs and theatres and bookstores and record stores and real little gigs...love pretty much everything really...from 'guitar town' on...seen three classic versions of The Dukes...some of the very best rock and roll shows i've ever seen...have lost a bit of touch with him these last two releases tho...el corazon very special so is i feel alright and train 'a comin'; the tres excellente "the mountain" real real solid songs and del McCory (spelling?) bluegrass band on every cut...amazing...heaven...i'm lovin' the comments here...some 24 years of great records...special mention to the Canadian live thing with the early version of the Dukes...just electrifyingly intensse...i dunno if it's still in print anywhere...and also the live record from his very early Austin City Limits gig (promoting 'git town' circa '85ish...i have dozens of boots...seeing him in a small club in nyc in '87 was intense...seen him with buddy miller and pretty much the rest of EmmyLou's band as one version of the Dukes...a boot called 'heavy metal bluegrass' is astoundingly great...the most recent version of the Dukes (saw him/them at Exit Inn in Nashville '05(promoting 'the revolution starts now'...his cover of cobains 'breed' is super killer...always great stones covers too...saw townes too, at mcabes toward the end...so sad...so drunk...crowd very understanding but it was very sad...i would lean toward more of townes original versions than steves covers tho...
it was great great fun having him rock up my world for so many years...each one of his albums really moving and so well written...the real deal...
fun watching justin grow up too...selling tee shirts etc...at House of Blues L.A.etc...on tour with Dad running the merch table...cool...also ran into Justin at the Bluebird in Nashville...both of us doin' acoustic originals...love his pop tho...heard one track of justin's new thing...about some girl who is cheating accusing him of cheating etc...sounded much better produced than solo...good for him tho. justin and band sound real real good on the radio...

frankly i way prefer steve with a real good band like every version of The Dukes tho...beautiful intense wonderful shows.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 25, 2009 01:58

Steve is okay with me. I saw him once in 1989 as the warm up act for Bob Dylan. Then saw him in December at Warren Haynes' Christmas Jam. His beard looks fake, like he's wearing a bad disguise.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: May 25, 2009 09:34

Really diggin' Justin Townes Earle's Midnight At The Movies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-25 12:18 by CrazyDadda.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 25, 2009 12:15

I think he's great. I especially like his slow, sparse recordings like "Fort Worth Blues", "Ellis Unit One", "Bem Mc Culloch", "Tecumseh Valley". My favorite album of his is "El Corazon". Great mix and great feel! With "Guitar Town" it's a little bit different. Half of it is absolutely exceptional. The other half is not so great. But back then the album was still a revelation to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-25 12:16 by Greenblues.

Date: May 26, 2009 18:54

Anyone catch Time Has Come Today live on Letterman with Cheryl Crow....amazing.

JR

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 26, 2009 19:00

Yes, a fan here..he is one of them artists thats getting better and better...he has a growing voice...and I love 'Guitar Town' too...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 26, 2009 19:04

Come On
Yes, a fan here..he is one of them artists thats getting better and better...he has a growing voice...and I love 'Guitar Town' too...

Awesome song, along with Someday, one of the great, "early" Earle songs.

I love the line,

"Gotta keep rockin' while I still can...
got two pack habit an a motel tan"

perfect...

JR

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 26, 2009 19:29

I like the songwriting. Honesty. I don't care for the way he comments like "I make way too much money for a borderline Marxist".. etc. but if anyone is going to cover Townes Van Zandt its him.

lots of people gave up on him after his widely criticized song John Walker's Blues

I think his version of 'Tecumseh Valley' (from Train a Comin) by TVZ is great.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 26, 2009 19:38

The new album is great, as are of course the TVZ originals. First came across him on the ESSENTIAL debut album from Guy Clark - Old No. 1.

he's great in the WIRE as well.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 26, 2009 20:22

Was he in PHANTOM ROCKER AND SLICK?

PECMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home