Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Lennon's Bloody Clothes On Display
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:20

Just curious what people think of this. Should this sort of thing be part of a museum exhibit? Why? Why not?

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Re: OT: Lennon's Bloody Clothes On Display
Posted by: mryapp ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:23

Certainly not. The death of anyone under such circumstance is terrible. If it happened to your hero, it all the worse.

I'll not even open the link.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:25

It shaouldnt. Perhaps you could consider removing the link?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-12 15:34 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:26

No - not something I would like to see, personally

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:27

- "His widow Yoko Ono, who has created the display, said the clothes were "hard to include" "

Then make your life a little less painful by refraining from milking his assassination in the name of 'art' at every conceivable opportunity, you silly old bitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-12 15:27 by Gazza.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:28

I can't even go to that link. It is an abomination, and should be avoided at all costs. I also question if those are in fact the cloths he was shot in. But again I can't even go near that link, it is sickening. A shameful act. And very very sad.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:29

That's disgusting even for Yoko.

Date: May 12, 2009 15:32

Okay. But let me play devil's advocate for a moment. Wouldn't the very fact that seeing something like this causes such a strong reaction result in it having a very powerful and POSITIVE effect on the people who see it? Making them think about how horrible his death was? And of the need to put a stop to gun violence?

Date: May 12, 2009 15:37

I've never drank the kool aid regarding Yoko. I always thought she used John like a dinner napkin. She got inside his head and manipulated him every step of the way. I only know these people through books, I wasn't there, but that's always been my impression.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:38

Perhaps we could put JFK's clothes on display next, or Princess Diana's?????!!! This has got to be the most despicable and tasteless thing I've ever heard of. My God, and yes, I agree with Baboon Bro, for the sake of our website and fanclub, where we do all get out of hand from time to time as only a family can and will, this should most definitely be taken down to preserve the class we do try very hard to maintain. This takes everything else, even the political griping, to a whooooooooooole new level.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:40

YEs that is true Tatters. Good point. My first reaction was visceral. I have calmed down, and this is very much in line with a lot of the shock art movement. And it certainly does evoke strong thoughts and feelings about guns and violent crime. And of love and loss.
Now I have read the article as well. And his cloths are NOT displayed. But the bag with the cloths in them. THat is very different. And really gives the impact of pain and fear that Yoko must have felt when after seeing her soul mate ruthlessly killed is handed a paper bag with his cloths. That about sums up the hopelessness and impotent feelings that must have been churning in her soul. THIS IS SAD STUFF!

Date: May 12, 2009 15:42

tatters
Okay. But let me play devil's advocate for a moment. Wouldn't the very fact that seeing something like this causes such a strong reaction result in it having a very powerful and POSITIVE effect on the people who see it? Making them think about how horrible his death was? And of the need to put a stop to gun violence?

Nice idea,but I fully realize how horrible his death was/is, and seeing his clothing from that day does nothing to improve the situation.

Don't get defensive-you asked the question, now listen to the answers.

I fail to see any positive aspect of this.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:43

Yoko's idea of art has never been something i've got to grips with,
but that's what arts all about - it polarizes opinion.

Wonder what Julian and Sean think about this exhibit...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:46

Makes me sick - what are people thinking?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:47

Perhaps she should have included some of his brain fragments so people could truly see how smart he was.

She's such a piece of shit.

Date: May 12, 2009 15:49

whitem8
YEs that is true Tatters. Good point. My first reaction was visceral. I have calmed down, and this is very much in line with a lot of the shock art movement. And it certainly does evoke strong thoughts and feelings about guns and violent crime. And of love and loss.
Now I have read the article as well. And his cloths are NOT displayed. But the bag with the cloths in them. THat is very different. And really gives the impact of pain and fear that Yoko must have felt when after seeing her soul mate ruthlessly killed is handed a paper bag with his cloths. That about sums up the hopelessness and impotent feelings that must have been churning in her soul. THIS IS SAD STUFF!

Yes, that's right. If you're afraid to open the link because of what you might see, you DON'T see any clothes and you DON'T see any blood. The clothes are in a paper bag wrapped in plastic. That's exactly the way they were when they were returned to Yoko by the hospital on the night of the murder.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:49

It is true that the clothes are not on display, which makes one wonder all the more if they are in fact the real clothes for one, and for two, why the hell would you keep a paper bag of bloodied clothes all these years if NOT to capitalize on it???

Date: May 12, 2009 15:52

John Lennon is still very much loved and respected for his music and his heart. Both were/are great. I really don't want to see him in any other light than what I see now, his legacy.

It just so happens that I am wearing a Lennon tshirt right now. The image on this shirt is how I want to always remember him....alive. The music lives on.

Date: May 12, 2009 15:52

CindyC
Perhaps she should have included some of his brain fragments so people could truly see how smart he was.

She's such a piece of shit.

He wasn't shot in the head. And it's hard to know what her motives were in doing this. It could be to make a powerful statement. It could be that, like Mrs. Kennedy when she refused to change her blood and BRAIN-stained clothes before getting off the plane in Washington DC that had flown her and her dead husband back from Dallas, that she "wants them to see what they've done". Or, it could be for pure sensationalism .... but I doubt that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-12 15:56 by tatters.

Date: May 12, 2009 15:54

CindyC: Give piece of shit a chance.

Date: May 12, 2009 15:56

oh i know, i was just saying that I could see her doing something like that.

As for Mrs. Kennedy, I'm sure she was in shock, it was right after it happened. Yoko has had MANY years to think this through, so it's not really the same thing.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: May 12, 2009 15:56

mryapp

Now THAT's funny!

Date: May 12, 2009 15:58

VoodooLounge13
why the hell would you keep a paper bag of bloodied clothes all these years if NOT to capitalize on it???

I dunno, it's a memory and sometimes bad memories are better than no memories. When my mom died, I saved some things from that moment, the little thing they had in her hand so she wouldn't scratch herself, her ID tags, etc. I don't know why I would want to keep them, since it was such a sad moment, but it's been 15 years and I'm still glad that I have them.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 12, 2009 15:59

I actually saw this display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland 6-7 years ago. I didn't know there was a special Lennon exhibit, but was glad there was, it essentially took up the whole top floor of the museum at the time.

As noted above, you didn't see any clothes, just a paper bag closed up. That's it. Said she never even opened it once she received it back.

Worse though, also on display, were the glasses he was wearing at the time, which, without going into much detail, were as you may imagine (no pun intended).

If I remember correctly, there was some message of handgun control, or I read that somewhere else as to why she did it.

Not trying to defend it...just wanted to give an eyewitness account. I wasn't real crazy about it myself in all honesty.

Date: May 12, 2009 15:59

mryapp

hehehe good one!

Date: May 12, 2009 16:03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-12 16:05 by tatters.

Date: May 12, 2009 16:09

kovach

Worse though, also on display, were the glasses he was wearing at the time, which, without going into much detail, were as you may imagine (no pun intended).

I think a photo of those very same glasses appeared on the cover of a Yoko Ono album, the one she released in 1981. Again, a very powerful image that makes you think.

I don't think it's necessarily such a good thing to bury your head in the sand when it comes to stuff like this.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 12, 2009 16:19

tatters
kovach

I think a photo of those very same glasses appeared on the cover of a Yoko Ono album, the one she released in 1981. Again, a very powerful image that makes you think.

I don't think it's necessarily such a good thing to bury your head in the sand when it comes to stuff like this.

You're right! I remember that now. She actually had a single that was getting some airplay from that album (not much; mostly just due to curiousity).

Date: May 12, 2009 16:29

kovach
tatters
kovach

You're right! I remember that now. She actually had a single that was getting some airplay from that album (not much; mostly just due to curiousity).

Walking On Thin Ice, I think it was called.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2009 16:33

"Walking On Thin Ice"

The story of her life then?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1360
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home