Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Dylan: "Most of the Time"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 9, 2009 22:55

I love this song, as Daniel Lanois' otherworldly production is perfectly matched with Bob's lyrics. This is a strong point from "Oh Mercy".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-09 22:59 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT Dylan: "Most of the Time"
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 9, 2009 23:13

One of my favourites!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 9, 2009 23:15

Tell Tale Signs version rlz.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 9, 2009 23:30

Love the song, must have listened to it a million times. This version ain´t bad either.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 9, 2009 23:31

Awesome track, my favorite from that album!!

Drew

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 10, 2009 00:20

Svartmer
Love the song, must have listened to it a million times. This version ain´t bad either.

Funny thing; Dylan insisted on doing that "video" LIVE - and also insisted on NOT rehearsing it before the cameras went on to capture it

The original version on Oh Mercy is one of my favourite ever Dylan songs. I think "Series Of Dreams" was....just maybe...left off the album because of "Most Of The Time" - they're somewhat similiar - lyrical-wise, sound/mix-wise - and moodwise

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: May 10, 2009 00:47

Most of the time is a huge favourite of mine. I also like the Lanois production very much, it adds a lot of atmosphere (not only to this song). And is there anyone who can't relate to those lyrics!?

I think Bob wrote in Chronicles that this was the first song they recorded after Bob had found a melody for it on the piano. It's also been used in the movie based on High Fidelity.

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: May 10, 2009 00:50

I'm not a fan of Lanois productions in general but this song is really great.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 10, 2009 00:54

Svartmer

really nice. i don't like to use the "a" word but this is awesome.

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: May 10, 2009 00:57

great song, great album.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 10, 2009 00:57

One of my favorite Dylan tunes.

Pure magic.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 10, 2009 10:06

Brilliant song.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 10, 2009 11:45

Svartmer posted the best-ever version (rec. early 90) of this already great version thumbs up
The pissed-off vocals are imho simply stunning and bury the nice ones from the album...

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: May 10, 2009 11:52

dcba
Svartmer posted the best-ever version (rec. early 90) of this already great version thumbs up
The pissed-off vocals are imho simply stunning and bury the nice ones from the album...

Yeah my favorite version too. Unfortunately, I've never heard one great live version of this song.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2009 17:30

Tell Tale Signs acoustic version is superior in every way.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: May 10, 2009 17:47

Oh Mercy is a top ten album for me, great song on a great record.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: May 10, 2009 22:11

Who are these guys playing with him??

Carlitos

Date: May 11, 2009 00:33

"Tell Tale Signs acoustic version is superior in every way."

Sure if you like anger-fuelled "f)ck I hate the world" lyrics parred with a light country music à la "Will you marry me Mary-lou"
Plus the TTS version really sounds like an under-rehearsed run-thru Dylan is fond of in the studio. Read last year's Uncut winking smiley
Version II on the third disc is much more interesting imho. On this one Dylan SINGS instead of going "la-la-la, next verse" plus the extra electric guitar (Lanois) brings it close to the magnificient Culver City March 1990 version posted above

EDIt :is it really? I think there is yet another version from 1990. It was released on a promo-CD and bootlegged by Scorpio on their "Genuine Bootleg Series vol.2" and it's EVEN better than the one from the vid.

[www.edlis.org]
Is Most of the Time from "The Genuine Bootleg Series Take 2" the same
> as the Promotional CD Columbia CSK 73326? Dundas lists from March 1990
> 3 versions of Most of the Time. One complete, one incomplete, and an
> edited version of the 2 for a promotional video. The track time on "The
> Genuine Bootleg Series Take 2" is 4:56.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-11 00:51 by dcba.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 11, 2009 03:12

I stand by my words...the acoustic version is superior in every way, though I do like every version.
Just my opinion though.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 11, 2009 04:04

carlitosbaez
Who are these guys playing with him??

Carlitos

Bob Dylan (guitar, vocal), David Lindley (guitar), Randy Jackson (bass), Kenny Aronoff (drums).

Video was directed by Bob's son, Jesse Dylan.

Oddly enough, the video was done 6 months after Oh Mercy came out, by which time Dylan had already recorded his next album, Under The Red Sky. That album's producer, Don Was, also produced this version which was released on a promo single.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-11 04:09 by Gazza.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 11, 2009 10:38

A favourite cut of mine from a great album. But there are other gems as well - infact, there is no weak cut at all. I still remember how great "Shooting Star" sounded in Turku Ruisrock rock festival '90.

(I think Erik's idea - why awesome "Series of Dreams" was left out was due this song - is plausible. They seem to the build the tension alike; the short, striking melody lines against the wall of high pressure background. Very effective in both cases.)

- Doxa

Date: May 11, 2009 13:11

The vesion of SODreams available on the Bootleg Series vol.1 has been reworked extensively around 1991 (by Lanois?) for the box.
In other words SOD might have been left off "Oh Mercy" cos Dylan considered it unfinished.
Or he thought it was too good to be shared with us mere mortals (same problem as "Blind Willie Mc Tell" omitted from Infidels).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1537
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home