Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT ; The New York Dolls ' Cause I Sez So
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 01:44

Anybody picked it up yet ?

Or heard any tracks from it ?

Re: OT ; The New York Dolls ' Cause I Sez So
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 6, 2009 01:49

i think it's great--

songs i like best - title track, better than you, muddy bones

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 6, 2009 02:39

I gotta say I'm kinda disappointed. I thought the last album was great, exceeded expectations by a ways. I just think the songs aren't as strong here, but it's slowly growing on me. I think if this had been the first reunion album I would have been fine with it, but because they set the bar high with 'One Day It Will Please Us...' I was hoping for another one on that level.

Having said that, still very stoked for the show in Vancouver in three weeks !

Date: May 6, 2009 03:05

Don't you feel that the anticipation on a new release sometimes makes you disappointed ??

Then after a couple of listens you appreciate the new work ??

Except of course in the case of " Dirty Work " . That LP sucked !!

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: May 6, 2009 04:20

I think it's a masterpiece--it's different than the last one and the first two. That's what makes the Dolls so interesting! I can't imagine the Rolling Stones making an album as diverse as this one these days. It's got rock, reggae, blues, ballads, India-influenced songs. My favorite is "My World." Just amazing. 5 stars. Maybe the Stones should hire Todd Rundgren.

Make sure to BUY a copy and go see them when they come to your town. It's on Amazon for $9.99. I'll be in Atlanta June 14th!

Date: May 6, 2009 04:59

Absolutely, boston2006, and the ones that initially disappoint often turn out to have the most staying power. My reaction so far is based on two or three listens, so here's hoping ! And Jack Knife, I'm eager to come around to your point of view. It's not the diversity I have a problem with at all, it's just that a few of the tunes sound a little more like b-sides to me but I'm sure that'll change. It sure is getting a roasting on the Chatterbox (Thunders) Forum.

Posted by: mfb ()
Date: May 6, 2009 07:07

thanks for reminding me...saw the thread and got it immediately...getting first listen now....Im mostly glad that theres still great rock n rollers out there bringing it LIVE...

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: May 7, 2009 01:20

still waiting for my copy from Amazon...

heard the title cut on the radio (!!! 89.3 The Current MPR, one of the best stations in the US i've heard!).

Anyway, I was a little underwhelmed. just seemed like some easy blues chords thrown together, not terribly catchy, though Johansen's vocals and phrasing really save it. some great lyrics as well.

though i loved 'Someday it Will Please Us...', i'm not a big fan of Steve Conte; of course i'm spoiled for Thunders, but even the original David Johansen Group guitarists (Johnny Rao and Thomas Trask) were , to me, more interesting "rawk" sort of players. But Sylvain is a very indentifiable and versitile guitarist, so the new Dolls still have that "roll" to go with the "rock".

dammit! hurry up Amazon and USPS!!!

Posted by: peter ()
Date: May 7, 2009 13:05

I'm listening to this new record...thinking maybe I should dust off my old Nikon & buy some Ektachrome film..shoot their upcoming SF gig like I used to do...last 3 times in SF, I thought about the shots I saw from the crowd..pure r&r..great stuff..wish I had images of the NYD...digital stuff doesn't make it with me..all the recent photos don't do the Dolls justice...so photogenic I think..anyone out there still use film ?..got some samples on my website.. old school daze...peter www.peterstupar.com

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 7, 2009 13:59

Rolling Stone - Issue 1078 - 14 May 2009

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: May 8, 2009 06:56

re: the Rolling Stone review.

the song "Lets Get Radiant" is actually called "Nobody Got No Bizness". dummys.

strange album, and that's a good thing. sorta like their version of Goats Head Soup, there's a lot of different flavors going on, a lot of textures, the acoustic guitar is prominent throughout, only three full-on electric rockers.

Not the grand , blustery statement of faith/determination that 'One Day It Will Please Us...', but more adventuresome. The songs aren't, overall, as great, and i haven't read the lyric sheet (and won't for many months; WHY do artists insist on printing lyrics??? Everyone from Lou Reed to Britney Spears does it- what a bummer. At least Dylan never has, cuz he KNOWS...). But you can tell there's the usual damaged pop poetry from Johansen, one of our finest lyricists.

The reggae version of "Trash" is nice, authentic sounding, but kind of dull.

I don't dig Steve Conte's guitar work on the old Dolls stuff, but he sure comes up with some beautiful Stonesy licks on the new material, and Sylvain is always spot-on and the quality-control guy. But when Conte plays his "hard rock" leads, his tone/aproach tends to sound like that usual '70's "bloooooz" crap, or Mick Taylor live, and looses the conection to the song in question in a busy display of very conservative noodling. He should be replaced (yo, Mick Jones!- you got time for yet ANOTHER band????).

I've listened to this disc 3 times, gets better each time; just don't expect the hard/fast stuff of yore, or the rockers from the last one. Basically it's another brilliant Johansen solo album.

(oh, and the sound is great too, but doesn't really sound like Rundgren's signature sound).

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 8, 2009 08:32

>At least Dylan never has, cuz he KNOWS...).

EMPIRE BURLESQUE and UNDER THE RED SKY both had lyric sheets. Oh and AT BUDOKAN as well. There may be others but those are the only ones that leap to mind.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 8, 2009 08:56

FILTER ALBUMS - MOJO JUNE 2009

ROCKMAN

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 13, 2009 20:49

David looks here like Jagger. I wonder how often he is mistaken with Mick by fans winking smiley However Jagger has much better stage moves.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: May 14, 2009 02:03

franzk

David looks here like Jagger. I wonder how often he is mistaken with Mick by fans winking smiley However Jagger has much better stage moves.

Sylvain was a great rhthym guitarist.

Date: May 14, 2009 02:21

i just interviewed these guys today from london--(on the phone) they are sounding GREAT

Date: May 23, 2009 23:48

I've had the cd a few days now and have listened to it about 6 times .It starts off in fine fashion for the first 3 - 4 cuts and then it seems to be a long slow death knell . "Temptation To Exist " reminds me of the theme to an old TV show " Rawhide " . Oh well this is only my opinion give it a listen it's not half bad .

Date: May 24, 2009 00:39

Yeah, it's grown on me somewhat but definitely not up there w/ One Day...I have no problem with experimenting w/ different styles or a surplus of slower material, they're just not great songs IMHO. Love Muddy Bones and a few others, though.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 24, 2009 02:31

I'm liking it. Not as solid on the back end, but the first five or six are really solid.

Seeing them May 30th in Salt Lake City at the Depot. Best venue in town by miles.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: May 24, 2009 13:44

no but they are co;ming here

Posted by: JK ()
Date: May 24, 2009 16:39

Three shows in Finland this summer:

June 27 Turku
June 29 Helsinki
June 30 Tampere

"Home ground" shows for their Finnish bassplayer Sam Yaffa (ex Hanoi Rocks)

Date: May 24, 2009 18:20

June 27 Turku
June 29 Helsinki
June 30 Tampere
---
Don't think so -

06/22 Brooklyn, NY More Info »
06/24 Burlington, VT More Info »
06/25 Northampton, MA More Info »
06/28 Boston, MA More Info »
06/29 Montreal, QC More Info »
06/30 Toronto, ONT Mor

----

Saw this show the other night - it's really good - I think I preferred last year's set list/pacing better - but still, the band rocks.

Date: May 24, 2009 18:59

Sorry...July. Tickets are on sale.

hbwriter

June 27 Turku
June 29 Helsinki
June 30 Tampere
---
Don't think so -

06/22 Brooklyn, NY More Info »
06/24 Burlington, VT More Info »
06/25 Northampton, MA More Info »
06/28 Boston, MA More Info »
06/29 Montreal, QC More Info »
06/30 Toronto, ONT Mor

----

Saw this show the other night - it's really good - I think I preferred last year's set list/pacing better - but still, the band rocks.

Date: May 24, 2009 19:07

Here are the correct Finnish dates and a link to the promotor´s website with links to to buy tickets

July 27 Turku
July 29 Helsinki
July 30 Tampere

[www.speedpromotion.fi]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home