Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Never understood why this one is so popular
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 30, 2009 17:09

Stoneswise - Can't Always Get - yeah, nice lyrics, but so many criticize "Angie" and others for not sounding like the Stones, this ones got a choir!
YGMR - popular only with the band

Otherwise:

Court of the Crimson King
Lucky Man
Pink Floyd, in general

Re: Never understood why this one is so popular
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 30, 2009 17:14

Its an easy sing-a-long
Always popular after a few beers

and what a great open G riff!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 30, 2009 17:16

Pink Floyd's The Wall is the greatest bore I ever heard or saw.

And I sense good Elmo once again has over-triumphed me
in creatin' explosive threads! smiling smiley

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 30, 2009 17:17

I enjoy both those tunes. On the flip side, I can't understand liking Start Me Up or Respectable. Just to name two off the top of my head.

Angie is a beautiful acoustic number, same with YCAGWYW. It comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: April 30, 2009 17:43

YCAGWYW is a great tune, it's got good lyrics, nice guitars and a catchy melody, and anyway, like you said Elmo, it's a very unusual beginning for a Stones song, with the choir and that. Which makes it special, in a way, If you ask me. My humble opinion.

I love Angie!!! I mean, not only do I think it's a beautiful acoustic song, I also have some very happy memories and backgrounds I can associate with this tune! It's the first Stones song I ever consciously heard on the radio when I was a little child and I remember trying to sing along with it all the time once I had heard it a few times with my dad. It was so much fun and my first step to becoming a fan of the boys!!
So, I love it!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 30, 2009 17:48

Remove the choir intro and YCAGWYW is a rock blues country funk. Way better than Angie - hell, Always Suffering is better than Angie. Angie is a station changer.

And the last time they played Angie with any sense of ownership was in 1973. Since then it's been total garbage and takes up a slot that a much better song could fill.

Start Me Up is - it's a great idea. It's just too slow. The Flashpoint version is the best - plus the Woody solo.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 30, 2009 17:49

Each to their own

Respectable is one of my fav tracks ever!

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: April 30, 2009 19:35

Great song. One of my fave Stones songs.

I for one never understood why Some Girls (the album) is so popular. I never liked that album. Songs like Respectable or Shattered are complete shite IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-30 22:05 by Bimmelzerbott.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 30, 2009 21:47

I love the Some Girls album. But Respectable is a train wreck every time I have ever seen it played live, and Shattered isn't much better. For some reason, they just can't seem to get those right.

Date: April 30, 2009 21:58

I like "Angie", just using it as to make a point.

What about otherwise?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 30, 2009 22:02

Don't know that one. What album is it from?

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: May 1, 2009 00:08

angie is just great, one of their best songs, no doubt.
i agree with what someone said about some girls (the album), donĀ“t rate it that high either.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 1, 2009 00:18

Elmo

I couldn't agree more!! This song is great within the context of an album. The balladic gospel ring to this gem cannot be denied. However, it does not fit into the concert setlist scheme IMO. Why sacrifice Wild Horses or even MR for that overdrawn song? The combo of Angie and YCAGWYW in the same concert rubs me the wrong way. Why??? because it happened in Ft Lauderdale during the AB tour a couple years back.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 1, 2009 00:34

Rick Rubin once said this song is a masterpiece cos it doesn't feel like it has been written.
And imho it's one of the best "crescendo" songs ever written, MUCH better than the lame "Stairway to Boredom"...

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: May 1, 2009 01:46

You Can't Always... is a great song, nice and weird.

Great New Orleans 2nd line rhythm pattern, Jimmy Miller was a great drummer (as well as engineer). Charlie never played it as funky as the original ever again (though he did in the Rock n' Roll Circus gig, so clearly he was hip to the New Orleans thing).

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 1, 2009 03:51

dcba
Rick Rubin once said this song is a masterpiece cos it doesn't feel like it has been written.
And imho it's one of the best "crescendo" songs ever written, MUCH better than the lame "Stairway to Boredom"...

Are we now talking about "Hot Dog" by Led Zeppelin??

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 1, 2009 04:13

BEAUTIFUL song! Incredible arrangement, and personifies the Stones. A great way to end Let it Bleed. The choir, gives it a sickly sweet flavor of decay and decadence, like a venus fly trap that intices your senses, then is fatal. Beautiful intro with the acoustic and french horn. Mournful lyrics with a propulsive beat. The military snap of the drums grab you by the throat. Perfect fade out to the 60's myth, what the generation hoped it the 60's would be, but never quite got there.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 1, 2009 15:56

I LOVE You Can't Always Get - especially live during ABB. It was a real showstopper for me, seeing Mick standing in the middle of the stadium, swaying his arms back and forth during the sing-along and hearing thousands of people singing it back to him. Goose bumps every time, and I never tired of it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 1, 2009 16:04

Hot Dog...

what a load of ....! The main riff sounds like an outtake from a Ron Wood album winking smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 1, 2009 17:37

whitem8
BEAUTIFUL song! Incredible arrangement, and personifies the Stones. A great way to end Let it Bleed. The choir, gives it a sickly sweet flavor of decay and decadence, like a venus fly trap that intices your senses, then is fatal. Beautiful intro with the acoustic and french horn. Mournful lyrics with a propulsive beat. The military snap of the drums grab you by the throat. Perfect fade out to the 60's myth, what the generation hoped it the 60's would be, but never quite got there.

what whitey said, but more of it...

Date: May 1, 2009 17:58

I don't know - maybe it's seeing it every tour - same thing with "Sympathy". I just gets boring. Great pee break song for me. I like Keith's set cause you never know how it will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-01 18:20 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: May 1, 2009 18:05

i absolutely abhor the way the stones torture this song these days, btw...ain't sounded right in concert since 1972-73, frankly. back then it was THE singular highlight of the shows...

Date: May 1, 2009 19:29

How was "Afternoon Delight" such a big hit? (The song, not the action)

Ditto "Escape/Pina Colada".

Date: May 1, 2009 20:15

great pop tunes, both...that's how....

Date: May 1, 2009 21:21

T & A, are you Rupert Holmes?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 1, 2009 21:22

YCAGWYW is THE song that hooked me on the Stones 30 years ago at age 78. It still gives me chills at times. The song is brilliant, choir and all. Great acoustic guitar/ drum rhythm. Jimmy Miller plays so well... and the electric guitar is great, Mick's vocals are great, it's all great... And the French horn!! It all works so perfectly.

Date: May 1, 2009 21:23

Elmo Lewis
T & A, are you Rupert Holmes?

maybe...if you can be elmo lewis, i could give it a go...

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 1, 2009 21:35

Elmo Lewis
Stoneswise - Can't Always Get - yeah, nice lyrics, but so many criticize "Angie" and others for not sounding like the Stones, this ones got a choir!

The only reason that song exists is to give one time to hit the restroom and the beer line and return to the show having only missed a single boring old warhorse.

Posted by: mryapp ()
Date: May 1, 2009 21:42

R
Elmo Lewis

The only reason that song exists is to give one time to hit the restroom and the beer line and return to the show having only missed a single boring old warhorse.

Utterly unbelievable. I bet the Stones really apreciate fans like this.

Date: May 1, 2009 21:59

nm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-01 22:02 by Elmo Lewis.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home