Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Never understood why this one is so popular
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 1, 2009 22:21

yap, I gotta say, you're persistent.

How many times can one be banned on here? How many creative names can you come up with?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 1, 2009 23:42

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 1, 2009 23:47

Elmo Lewis

a pina colada can be very refreshing and delightful in the afternoon, too....i'm just sayin'....

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 2, 2009 23:36

<<Stoneswise - Can't Always Get - yeah, nice lyrics, but so many criticize "Angie" and others for not sounding like the Stones, this ones got a choir!>>

I think the studio extravaganza the song developed into, is absolutely brilliant and a great closer on Bleed.

Live-wise the STP/Down Under renditions are the ones to beat. The MT/Hopkins combination worked so well on basically every night. I miss Nicky a great deal on the European '73 versions - still it was mostly a highlight imo, particular the UK gigs. The Sept 8 #1 version is a fantastic band effort topped by a great Jagger vocal, a stunning Taylor lead and Preston adding some nice stuff without being intrusive. The TOTA renditions are much a hit or miss, I think. Occasionally great, other times not when they dragged it on for too long, Preston getting in the way, a Woody solo running of the tracks or Jagger's vocals. Never liked that they turned it into a sing-along, which to me seems to be the only reason for keeping it in the set these days.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: May 14, 2009 19:51

Bimmelzerbott
Great song. One of my fave Stones songs.

I for one never understood why Some Girls (the album) is so popular. I never liked that album. Songs like Respectable or Shattered are complete shite IMHO.

Agree 100%

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: May 14, 2009 19:52

Sohoe
<<Stoneswise - Can't Always Get - yeah, nice lyrics, but so many criticize "Angie" and others for not sounding like the Stones, this ones got a choir!>>

I think the studio extravaganza the song developed into, is absolutely brilliant and a great closer on Bleed.

Live-wise the STP/Down Under renditions are the ones to beat. The MT/Hopkins combination worked so well on basically every night. I miss Nicky a great deal on the European '73 versions - still it was mostly a highlight imo, particular the UK gigs. The Sept 8 #1 version is a fantastic band effort topped by a great Jagger vocal, a stunning Taylor lead and Preston adding some nice stuff without being intrusive. The TOTA renditions are much a hit or miss, I think. Occasionally great, other times not when they dragged it on for too long, Preston getting in the way, a Woody solo running of the tracks or Jagger's vocals. Never liked that they turned it into a sing-along, which to me seems to be the only reason for keeping it in the set these days.

Those slow grooving '72-'73 versions were the absolute best, with stunning solos from Mick T. Watch the version in L&G...stunning...

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: May 14, 2009 19:55

It's a GREAT song....a classic that gets better with age.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 14, 2009 20:21

Bingo
I enjoy both those tunes. On the flip side, I can't understand liking Start Me Up or Respectable. Just to name two off the top of my head.

Angie is a beautiful acoustic number, same with YCAGWYW. It comes down to different strokes for different folks.

i like respectahbulll

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: May 14, 2009 20:32

I read that Eric Clapton thought that YCAGWYW should be the A side of the single. Have to say I'm glad they didn't listen to him (assuming the story is true) and used Honkey Tonk Women.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 14, 2009 20:49

Why can't the Stones treat their Warhorses like Thoroughbreds? Put them out to pasture after several tours and let them mate with other Warhorses to create new Thoroughbreds to participate in new tours?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 14, 2009 21:49

StonesFanatic
Bimmelzerbott
Great song. One of my fave Stones songs.

I for one never understood why Some Girls (the album) is so popular. I never liked that album. Songs like Respectable or Shattered are complete shite IMHO.

Agree 100%

I dont agree; but its refreshing to see independent thinking here.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 15, 2009 01:14

Some Girls is a bit over hyped. But it does have some good tunes on it.

Ah ha ha ha ha, put the warhorses out to pasture for 'several tours'. That's fantastic! Since this supposed next tour is certainly gonna be their last one...my guess, no other reason. They've just got to stop one of these days. I thought for sure with Bang the insinuation was obvious...plus how they performed...time to go.

But NOOOOO, they're gonna be like Dr John and just be BORRRRRRRRINNNGGGG....

Hopefully not though.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 15, 2009 19:20

A long time ago...dorm room stuff...we used to put on headphones, turn off the room speakers, close our eyes and sing along with a favorite song. I remember singing along to YCAGWYW. I thought I sounded great, but when the song was over and I opened my eyes everyone there was dying with laughter. Not sure why. :-)

I credit Jimmy Miller and anyone else involved in the song production on BB and LIB for making those songs so engaging. You are drawn in to each one. I say the same for Exile, but in a different way. That album was a different beast.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 15, 2009 19:24

skipstone
But NOOOOO, they're gonna be like Dr John and just be BORRRRRRRRINNNGGGG....

why the unprovoked and unnecessary bashing of the good doctor?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 14:00

i love the studio version of YCAGWYW but i think most live versions of the song are boring

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 17, 2009 06:32

T&A, it must be a New Orleans thing. I saw Dr John live a while back and the entire show was a snooze fest. New Orleans is revered as being such a high quality music town yet I couldn't understand. But it's sort of like Hootie And The Blowfish - 14 million people can be wrong.

But I get it - the dude has had his run and now people just show up automatically to see..Dr John on autopilot.

Does it have a certain ring to it?

But I sure as hell wouldn't pay to go see him.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 17, 2009 12:32

Elmo Lewis

YGMR - popular only with the band

Just because a few diehards don't like doens't mean it's only popular with the band. Ik like YGMR, great tune. I think the reason some people don't like it because it is played often while other songs could have been played instead. What do you guys thought of this song on the Voodoo tour?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 17, 2009 12:44

It was great on the Voodoo shows! Loved it, brought back that Rocks Off edge I love about them. And they modernized it and made it hard hitting, with the best elements of their current band. Great song!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2009 12:46

Elmo Lewis

I like this song .Reminds me of "Hey Negrita" a bit, apart from the singing better musicians though.cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home