Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 30th Anniversary of The New Barbarians Tour: Share Your Memories
Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 26, 2009 20:21

curt
I was present at all 19 shows Oshawa to San Diego, April 22 to May 22.

what's the story there, curt? Were you part of the crew? Sounds like an awesome trip.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 26, 2009 21:05

Yeah, that does sound like an interesting story! And envy(on my part). This was a very unique tour. While in principle meant to promote Rons "Gimme Some Neck" album it turned into a early Faces like party where they made the crowd feel invited to experience a Jam-like atmosphere. A "splendid time is guaranteed for
all" AND IT WAS!!

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:12

Changed my life. Before the show in Salt Lake I liked the Beatles, Heart, Billy Joel & the likes. I was 17 & going to whatever rock show came to town. I fell in love with Keith at first sight, bought my first Stones album the next day and have been all Stones ever since. To this day it still surprises me that a 17 year old me was so touched by that music. 30 years?! Wow!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:28

The Oakland Coliseum Arena show on 20th May marked the first time I saw a Rolling Stone live. I had been waylaid by a bad case of mono for nearly 2 months and this show marked the first time I had been out for a long time. I was 18 years old and the prospect of seeing Keith and Ronnie live thrilled me no end, Keith Richards was my hero and my primary inspiration for picking up a guitar and because of him I have been playing ever since. When the band hit the stage and launched into Sweet Little Rock and Roller it was as if I had been transported to the Elysian Fields. My hero! Live! Before my eyes! Playing Chuck Berry! I walked into the Oakland Coliseum Arena feeling run down from the mono but filled with expectation. When I left, I floated out on a cloud, invigorated as I had not been for some months. Music has the power to heal! Halleujah!

Posted by: curt ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:31

cc
curt
I was present at all 19 shows Oshawa to San Diego, April 22 to May 22.

what's the story there, curt? Were you part of the crew? Sounds like an awesome trip.

Not part of the crew, although they were among those that I did encounter with a rather consistent regularity, traveling in america being what it was back then.

An unique number of weeks that was, lots of fun in most respects and the band certainly more than made up for any rough edges on the rest of the landscape.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: April 27, 2009 08:44

I was at The Knebworth Show 11 August 1979 where they performed before what would
become Led Zeppelin's Final UK show.

I had just been in a car accident in NY and now with a cast on a broken arm, I flew to London to visit my brother who was 'baking hot breads' for The Brits, staying in his flat in North Wembley located over a "Mecca" waking up to The Boomtown Rats' "I Don't Like Mondays" and the men below starting their gambling day!

My brother wouldn't drive on the left so with one arm I rented an automatic and drove up to Knebworth Castle (for the second time). I remember bringing "Lemons" and "Herbs" to the Big Picnic.

After the festival all the autos were of course backed-up trying to leave at the same time. Like most drivers, I put the car in park and shut it down, and then reclined the seats. The next thing I knew was that me and my brother woke up and it was daylight and we were the only car sitting in the middle of the Castle grounds!

I can only imagine all the smiling faces as they past us all night, looking at us passed out! Hey Man, It was the 'Ludes!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:58

<<I would love to hear the Houston tape-I dont know what the quality is!>>

Soundwise it's kinda average
It's a hell of performance, though. Probably my favourite NB show
It sounds more together than, say LArgo, but still raunchy, fun and ragged as hell... just like a Barbarians show should be

Thanks for the San Diego info, scottkeef

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: April 28, 2009 06:49

I was at the Houston show. The radio ads leading up to the show really played up the 'special guests', but there were none. Some of the people with me really expected to see Jagger and were disappointed, but I was there to see Keith and Ron.

I had seen the Stones for the first time the year before, and Keith was totally introverted - head down, not interacting with the crowd at all, barely grunting out the verses to Happy, so it was quite a surprise at the beginning of the Barbarians concert when he walked out to the front of the stage and stood there and waved to the crowd before they broke into the first song. The next day, the review in the paper called them a glorified garage band.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 28, 2009 15:04

Actually the USA part of the tour started in Ann Arbor on April 24th...Cobo was the 26th &28th..I saw both gigs..still have stubs...the scalpers had a bad time on this one(not that i cared)great band...I have several cassetts of various gigs...just a fantastic time...wish they'd do it again..

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 28, 2009 16:04

detroitken
Actually the USA part of the tour started in Ann Arbor on April 24th...Cobo was the 26th &28th..I saw both gigs..still have stubs...the scalpers had a bad time on this one(not that i cared)great band...I have several cassetts of various gigs...just a fantastic time...wish they'd do it again..

Where'd they play in Ann Arbor? Only arena we've got is Crisler and they rarely have concerts there.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 28, 2009 17:09

The Ann Arbour show was at Chrysler Arena
Didn't know they did two gigs at Cobo Hall
How about the 1980 less gig in Milwaukee. Anyone here caught that show?

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 28, 2009 17:31

Saw 'em at the Cap Center in Largo MD. The review the following day in the Post
likened the performance to two drunks staggering out of a bar at closing time arm in arm howling off key at the moon. Pretty fair appraisal but I thought he meant it in a good way...a seriously fun show but definitely not a tight well oiled machine. Mac's backing vocals were a pleasant surprise- didnt know he could sing!

Date: April 29, 2009 15:58

Sohoe
The Ann Arbour show was at Chrysler Arena
Didn't know they did two gigs at Cobo Hall
How about the 1980 less gig in Milwaukee. Anyone here caught that show?

Odd. Ann Arbor is only 40 miles from Detroit. Why would they do three shows in southeast Michigan and only one show everywhere else? Maybe someone can post a complete list New Barbarians tour dates?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-29 16:03 by tatters.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 29, 2009 16:46

tatters
Maybe someone can post a complete list New Barbarians tour dates?

From nzentgraf.de:

22nd April: Oshawa, Civic Auditorium
24th April: Ann Arbor, Michigan, Chrysler Arena
28th April: Detroit, Michigan, Cobo Arena
29th April: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Milwaukee Arena
30th April: Chicago, Illinois, International Amphitheater
2nd May: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Civic Arena
3rd May: Cincinatti, Ohio, Riverfront Coliseum
5th May: Largo, Maryland, Capital Center Arena
7th May: New York City, Madison Square Garden
8th May: Cleveland, Ohio, Richfield Coliseum
10th May: Atlanta, Georgia, The Omni
12th May: Houston, Texas, Summit
13th May: Fort Worth, Texas, Tarrant County
15th May: Denver, Colorado, McNichol’s Arena
17th May: Salt Lake City, Utah, Salt Palace
19th May: Los Angeles, California, Forum
20th May: Oakland, California, Alameda Co. Coliseum
22nd May: San Diego, California, Sports Arena
11th August: Hertfordshire, England, Knebworth Park, ‘Knebworth Fair’-festival

16th January: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Uptown Theater
Line-up: RW (gtr, voc) / Ian McLagan (p, org, voc) / Bobby Keys (sax) / Johnnie Lee Schell (gtr) / Reggie McBride (bass) / Andy Newmark (dr) / Mackenzie Philips (bvoc on some songs)
Note: 2 1/2 hours set, mostly RW songs, some Ian McLagan-songs and Honky Tonk Women (unverified) as the only Stones-song.
Keith did not play at this show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-29 17:10 by erikjjf.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 29, 2009 17:00

Does anyone have the 1980 milwaukee performance on tape(or know if one exists?)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 29, 2009 17:13

Saw 'em in Atlanta - my first time seeing any Stones. Great fun, sloppy as hell, but WTF, it was my boys.

They were very late coming on and Piano Red came out and played a few songs as we waited.

Things of note:

The "Y" shaped mic stand for Ron and Keith
The red "blood" stains painted on the stage
How tall Stanley was
How high Ron and Keith were (all of 'em, I suspect)
Apartment #9
That night at my girlfriend's apartment (not #9)
Muddy mix
Keith's purple shirt, straight legged pants (no bell-bottoms!), and Converses
Ronnie's boots

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-29 19:37 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 29, 2009 18:44

Yep, I was there in the old Omni. As Elmo said - very, very sloppy. A spirited performance, but they needed a lead singer in the worst way. I would pay to see Keith and Ron tune their guitars, but the special guests never materialized.

Date: April 30, 2009 05:23

Thanks for the vids, Urban.

Date: April 30, 2009 05:27

Elmo Lewis
Saw 'em in Atlanta - my first time seeing any Stones. Great fun, sloppy as hell, but WTF, it was my boys.

They were very late coming on and Piano Red came out and played a few songs as we waited.

Things of note:

The "Y" shaped mic stand for Ron and Keith
The red "blood" stains painted on the stage
How tall Stanley was
How high Ron and Keith were (all of 'em, I suspect)
Apartment #9
That night at my girlfriend's apartment (not #9)
Muddy mix
Keith's purple shirt, straight legged pants (no bell-bottoms!), and Converses
Ronnie's boots

I thought Keith wore orange Pro Keds, but I could be wrong. I was a LONG ways from the stage. Did anyone buy a t-shirt? Anyone still have it and want to post a photo? I had one, but it vanished ages ago. It was a pretty cool tee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-30 05:37 by tatters.

Date: April 30, 2009 05:29

Coulda been - I too was a long way off. Just past Jupiter that night!

Posted by: SirTweakAlot ()
Date: May 4, 2009 18:48

I drove down from Newport Beach to see the San Diego show.Neither my buddy nor I had tickets but we both were looked rather punk rock,I had blond spiky hair ala Billy Idol at the time.
So we just put on airs like we were rock stars,walked down the long loading dock ramp to the backstage entrance just as some hot chicks were filing in, looked straight ahead, flashed our collars like we had passes(but didn't)and swooped right in.
We sat right down front row center for the whole opening act Bob Welch then finally had to give up our seats about three songs into the Barbarians.We were still real close maybe 10 rows back throughout the show.

We finished our night of mayhem by taking a very drunk woman to a cheap motel then grabbed a room key from the deposit slot at the check-in window.After we had our way we split leaving her to pass out and face certain arrest if the owners found her asleep in the non-paid for room.
I'm sounding a bit brazen even to me,but it's all TRUE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-11 10:00 by SirTweakAlot.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 23, 2009 18:46

I'm writing a short introductory article about Barbarians... is it true that their name was inspired by Keith Moon?

Date: July 24, 2009 01:39

Amused
I'm writing a short introductory article about Barbarians... is it true that their name was inspired by Keith Moon?

I thought the story was that Neil Young (who briefly considered joining the tour, but ultimately decided to opt out) came up with the name. Of course, there WAS a band in the 60s called The Barbarians. They even placed a couple singles on the charts. One of them was an autobiographical tune by the band's drummer, called "Moulty", who had a hook instead of a hand. I guess Neil thought the idea of calling a band the "New" Barbarians (in the same way that there had briefly been a "New" Yardbirds) would be funny .... and it was.

In any case, I don't think Keith Moon could have given the New Barbarians their name. He died seven months before the tour started. It's widely believed that Keith Moon gave Led Zeppelin THEIR name. That's not true either. John Entwistle came up with the name Led Zeppelin. Entwistle did a lot of things he never got credit for. For instance, it was John, not Pete, who first wore the iconic jacket made out of a Union Jack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-24 02:41 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home