Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: AC/DC are coming back again!
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: April 17, 2009 20:38

Just announced yesterday on the nightly local news. They will be back in Vancouver, Aug 9th (hope I got that date right) but at a much bigger venue than they last played. Instead of playing to 14,000 this time they had interest in playing our domed stadium seats 55,000. The Stones have always sold that venue
out since 89 and I saw every tour there for them. Hope I can get a ticket this
time!

Re: OT: AC/DC are coming back again!
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 17, 2009 20:49

In this day and age..if you're hearing something like this on your local news...it is most likely a few days or in this case of AC/DC touring...a few weeks old! smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 17, 2009 22:15

Hi Tippy. It's August 29 at BC Place. It's going to be one humid night. I'm actually surprised they're playing the full stadium set up. When they played BC Place in 1988, they did a concert bowl setup where the stage was mid field. I seriously doubt they'll sell the place out. I'll definitely be there, having missed the show late last year. Since they're playing Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton two days prior, I think anyone from Alberta or northern BC will drive to that show. They're also playing the Tacomadome the next night which is a bit surprising since they're not doing any back to back shows on this tour except the two shows in a row at Madison Square last year.
I've seen all the Stones shows at BC Place too and in 1998 they drew 37000 so there were over 10000 empty seats. I think by that point they had oversaturated the local market, having done 2 shows in both 89 and 94.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 18, 2009 03:36

saw em for the 4th time on this Black Ice tour in London last night

AMAZING

probably the best yet

roll on Birmingham

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 18, 2009 06:30

AC/DC on highway to one hell of a show
By David Smyth, Evening Standard 15.04.09
More reviews by David Smyth

Shaking all night long: veteran rockers Brian Johnson and undisputed star Angus Young blast out another huge riff at the O2 Arena

Keeping the faith: schoolboy ties and flashing devil’s horns — both in homage to guitarist Young — were the sartorial order of the night

Related links
Gallery: AC/DC in concert at the O2
Look here too
Entertainment Podcast
Lionel Richie review
AC/DC’s spectacular return to London, six years in coming, was signalled by a video of a hurtling runaway train and a “real” train crashing onto the stage. Like that train, a change of direction for the veteran rockers is impossible, but even so, they’re a long way from hitting the buffers.

Like a more credible Status Quo, theirs is a gloriously simple sound that has withstood the influence of punk, grunge and, thankfully, disco. The Andes have changed more than they have in the past 30 years. Singers and drummers have come and gone, but the sound remains the same.

The Sydney-formed group long ago recognised gold in their thunderous riffs and joyful screeching.
Their long-term sales statistics are extraordinary, with more back catalogue CDs sold than everyone but The Beatles and more copies of 1980’s Back In Black sold than any album except Thriller, some 42 million.

Latest work Black Ice is no slouch either, more popular than any album in the world last year except Coldplay’s.

Gallery: More pictures from the concert

It has seen them join Iron Maiden and Metallica as rejuvenated hard rockers, now reaching the children of those who first fell for their savage guitar sound.

Before a crowd overwhelmingly sporting T-shirts featuring their lightning bolt logo, the quintet set about attacking their many classics. You Shook Me All Night Long, Back In Black and Highway To Hell all boasted riffs so fundamental to the history of rock’n’roll that they might have existed forever.

Unfussy rhythm section Malcolm Young and Cliff Williams moved between their microphones for backing vocals and Phil Rudd’s drum kit as though on tracks.

Unreconstructed Geordie Brian Johnson sang with a euphoric animal roar and shimmied about the stage in a surprisingly camp manner for someone with thick, meaty arms and a flat cap. The undisputed star, though, was lead guitarist Angus Young, whose school uniform, duck walk and perpetually upthrust arm still makes him probably the most recognisable silhouette in rock.

With a cockier strut than Mick Jagger, he was a tiny inferno throughout, sweating so heavily that during the weighty blues of The Jack he stripped down to AC/DC underpants.

He gurned and gibbered, playing with one hand and over his head, shaking and spinning on the floor.

During the world-beating, epic solo that dominated Let There Be Rock, it was as if the guitar was playing him.

Watching the genius of Young’s lightning fingers, music this simple didn’t seem so dumb.
The 02, 17 April (0844 844 0202) www.the02.co.uk/ Wembley Stadium, 26 June (0870 534 4444). www.wembleystadium.com

Read the latest reviews from David Smyth in the Evening Standard

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: April 19, 2009 16:10

DGA35
I seriously doubt they'll sell the place out.

Well they did. The stadium gigs in Vancover, Montreal, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Regina all sold out within the first day. smileys with beer

Many ended up on the blackmarket though but that´s another story.thumbs down

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 20, 2009 00:33

As declining sales of CD's and DVD's show, people aren't willing to shell out for recorded music, but they are willing to pay for the live experience (how else to explain 50 sold out shows for Michael Jackson at the O2 Arena, when the guys couldn't give away copies of his last CD).

C'mon Mick - one last cash grab. I'll be there.

Date: April 20, 2009 22:22

I can't believe they sold out! I ended up getting tickets in the upper deck for BC Place. This will be my 8th show.
It's hard to believe the popularity of the band now versus any other time in their career. The last time they played Vancouver on the SUL tour, they did 2 shows at the Coliseum and drew around 23000 according to the Billboard Boxscores. Both shows still had a few tickets available. Now they sell out GM Place with around 15000 and now a BC Place show with 50000!
55000 Edmonton, 38000 Regina, 45000 Winnipeg and probably around 50000 in Montreal as well as the 2 shows earlier in Toronto totalling 90000. These are Stones type figures!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 20, 2009 22:40

It is amazing that people will dish out hundreds of dollars and even thousands for a live experience - for ONE show that is meaningless once it's done ( even for more than one) - but won't pay $15 fukcing dollars for a record. What a joke. Even if there are 5 bands you like that put out an album every year or or every other year it's still cheaper than a big show.

Posted by: whatevs ()
Date: May 11, 2009 21:23

Moncton's still the only Canadian date that hasn't sold out.

And skipstone, it's the memories generated by a concert and the connection it gives the individual to the band that makes them so much more appealing than records.

And plus, if you're dishing out a ton of money on tickets theres still other ways to save.

Like for example, Get drunk before the show, instead of at it.
same goes for eating/drinking. That stuff is about twice as much in the venues.

Buy your T-shirts from a place like rockworldeast.com, where they're sold for 20$ each instead of your standard $45-$55 shirts at the concerts.

And go camping if you're traveling, carpool, stay with relatives or make an ad on couchsurfers to find a cheap/free place to stay! Rather than the $100 hotel stay! Also, Hostels work well too!

Anyways, I'll be seeing them in moncton grinning smiley I'm SOOO excited!

Date: May 11, 2009 22:39

Yes I can't believe they sold out GM place. Only other bands to do that was Stones and Floyd. Ac/dc really are raking in th bucks for their retirement,eh? I didn't get a ticket but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Date: May 11, 2009 22:40

Ooooooooooops, sorry I meant selling out BC Place.

Date: May 11, 2009 22:50

Hey Tippy, actually there are others that sold out BC Place. Jackson's did three shows in 84 on their Victory Tour, although they drew a total of 95000. Also U2 sold out BC Place in the past and Madonna just sold out a few months ago.
First show ever at BC Place was Bowie on his Serious Moonlight tour in 83 and he sold out. I remember he also did two shows at the Coliseum later on that same tour. Second show at BC Place was Supertramp with Bryan Adams opening in 83 and they too sold out.
AC/DC is doing well for their retirement funds but really, they could charge alot more than $99 for top tickets and really rake in the cash!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2009 00:28

Funny when they were kicking ass they were playing to 5000-max every night. Now that they SHOULD retire they become the biggest rock act on the planet... winking smiley

Date: May 12, 2009 00:46

@#$%& off

Date: May 12, 2009 08:27

DGA35
Hey Tippy, actually there are others that sold out BC Place. Jackson's did three shows in 84 on their Victory Tour, although they drew a total of 95000. Also U2 sold out BC Place in the past and Madonna just sold out a few months ago.
First show ever at BC Place was Bowie on his Serious Moonlight tour in 83 and he sold out. I remember he also did two shows at the Coliseum later on that same tour. Second show at BC Place was Supertramp with Bryan Adams opening in 83 and they too sold out.
AC/DC is doing well for their retirement funds but really, they could charge alot more than $99 for top tickets and really rake in the cash!

You've done your homework! Yea, I missed a few, I just mentioned my fave ones. Are you in Vancouver?

Date: May 12, 2009 13:06

Blind test for Andy :

[www.dimeadozen.org]
[zombtracker.the-zomb.com]

then tell which gig's better... winking smiley

Date: May 12, 2009 14:43

no good to me mate, i'm not a member of either so can't even see what they are

you've got to get over this idea that AC/DC aren't any good anymore

i've followed em years myself, 13 when i first saw em, and this current tour is as good, if not better than any others i've seen em do

Date: May 12, 2009 18:48

"i'm not a member of either"
Well too bad for YOU "mate"

Generally, a GOOD fan is an INFORMED fan. Otherwise you might rank Biggest Bang high cos you've never seen Ladies & Genlemen winking smiley

Do you KNOW ACDC have had, since this year, to down-tune half a step (Eb) to put less strain on Brian Johnson's voice!? Not exactly sth a band in its prime would do. More like the sign of a tired band.
(btw the Stones are still tuned to E. Well done Mick!) thumbs up

Some fans of ACDC are like Johnny Halliday's ones : whatever you may say about they idol they reply "you're wrong! He's/they're great"
End of discussion as far as I'm concerned...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-12 18:58 by dcba.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 12, 2009 21:20

Excellent points indeed from dcba. Blind worship is never a good thing.

Date: May 12, 2009 22:33

Hi Tippy. I don't live in Vancouver but out in the Fraser Valley. I was in high school when BC Place opened so all of the stats are from memory. Lots of my friends went to the shows I mentioned. I still have the newspaper ads promoting the Bowie, Supertramp as well as Simon and Garfunkel shows at BC Place. They took up the whole page and I got them laminated so they still look good.
I've seen the Stones six times at BC Place, U2 once on their Achtung tour (the night Clinton was elected), Van Halen twice, Rod Stewart once and AC/DC once, soon to be twice!
I see Aerosmith is playing BC Place concert bowl with ZZ Top in August. Top ticket prices are over $400! WTF!! I just saw them with Motley Crue back in late 2007 at GM Place and tickets were around $150.
The stadium should look nice once the renos are completed and the retractable roof is put on.

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: May 20, 2009 20:33

Date: May 21, 2009 00:31

DGA35
Hi Tippy. I don't live in Vancouver but out in the Fraser Valley. I was in high school when BC Place opened so all of the stats are from memory. Lots of my friends went to the shows I mentioned. I still have the newspaper ads promoting the Bowie, Supertramp as well as Simon and Garfunkel shows at BC Place. They took up the whole page and I got them laminated so they still look good.
I've seen the Stones six times at BC Place, U2 once on their Achtung tour (the night Clinton was elected), Van Halen twice, Rod Stewart once and AC/DC once, soon to be twice!
I see Aerosmith is playing BC Place concert bowl with ZZ Top in August. Top ticket prices are over $400! WTF!! I just saw them with Motley Crue back in late 2007 at GM Place and tickets were around $150.
The stadium should look nice once the renos are completed and the retractable roof is put on.

I'd like to contact you to chat but you have no email its hidden. Yes, the Aerosmith is too much. Think I will pass. Hopefully if the Boss rumors are true for Aug the price will be better.

Date: May 21, 2009 02:04

Btw I LOVE ACDC, I just find funny they reach their peak of fame when their musical peak is probably behind them (but I hope I'm wrong). To me it seems obvious that on their 3-discs DVD the weakest moments come from the 96-2001 era.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 21, 2009 06:45

anyone up for Regina?

Date: May 21, 2009 06:48

ACDC's Stiff up her lip is a great album!!!!!!!!!!

ACDC is the top rock and roll band in the world right now..

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: May 21, 2009 12:36

Tuesday in Cologne:

Date: May 21, 2009 12:46

oh yeah

Date: May 21, 2009 20:36

Been tripping on this gem from 83 for 3 days thumbs up
Phil Rudd aka Charlie Watts Jr on drums...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 20:37 by dcba.

Date: May 21, 2009 22:13

Hi DCBA. In the video that's Simon Wright on drums. Phil left the band during the Flick of the Switch sessions. I'm actually not even sure if it's Phil playing on the album. Simon played on Fly On The Wall, Who Made Who and Blow Up Your Video albums. If I recall, he left AC/DC to join up with Dio. Not the brightest career move.
AC/DC started their Flick of the Switch tour in Vancouver in October 83. That was the first time I saw the band. I think that album is underrated. It didn't sell very well when it first came out (or subsequently). One problem I think is that the band self produced it. Coming off Highway To Hell, BIB and Those About To Rock which Mutt Lange produced, Angus and Malcolm wanted to go in a different direction. A very raw sounding album similar to Let There Be Rock as opposed to the polished sound Mutt gets.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home