Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: AEROSMITH - Is This Band On It's Last Legs ? (Mag. Article)
Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: April 19, 2009 00:59

Oh I love Aerosmith, they're my second favourite band. Many people wish they'd record a new album before they go in tour and of course it would be nice to have some new material to hear, but I personally could care less about that. Unfortunately, I have never seen them life, so the only thing I want now is to see an Aero show, so for me personally it doesn't matter whether they perform new stuff then or not (sadly, it doesn't look like they're coming to Europe this time - I would go see them). But I know quite a lot of folks on AF1, for example, who're considering - or already know for sure - that they're not gonna attend a concert on their upcoming tour, because it's about the same setlist every time and this time ticket prices are too expensive just to see them perform the same songs they have been playing for a decade.
Sure, I can understand this point of view, but then I know their live shows are always amazing - just watch the tons of videos, read all the reviews etc; If those are great how great is an actual live show then!! - no matter how many times they've played Crying and Jaded and I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing and all the other pop songs. And I would just like to experience their energy and thrill of performance. I mean, who knows how long we'll still have them? For some reason I believe their next album will be the last one and probably this tour's gonna be the last one, too. Who knoes. We should enjoy them as long as we can.
Now, generally speaking, it would be very cool If they played a whole album in their shows, like Toys In The Attic and the like. Lots of people would die to see this and I'm sure noone would be complaining that much about ticket prices then, because it would be something new and then these prices would be justified. It surely is a slap in the face to their fans, charging prices this high. I mean, come on, who can afford it these days? I feel they've become greedy millionaires and it hurts me to say, really.

Re the album: It's sad Aerosmith have been struck by many illnesses and health issues in the past years, but I'm sure that's not the only reason for them not recording a new album in so many years. What annoys the crap outta me is that Perry always says the next one's gonna be awesome and back to the rawness of their early years and all that and that they're working out some great stuff. He talks and talks and talks but nothing ever comes out in the end. I like this band so much and Steven Tyler is absolutely awesome and I love Joe @#$%&' Perry and I agree on Brad Whitford being so underrated. And I think it's a pity most of what they ever come up with is another Best Of album and polished-to-the-hilt-pop songs these days. They could do so much better than that. It shows in some great tracks you get from time to time on albums like Honkin' On Bobo, Get A Grip, Pump and Nine Lives, even on Just Push Play there were two or three really good ones. They still have it in them, but something prevents them from letting it out.

Well, whatever, I still love them and always will and as long as Steven doesn't stop to sing and doing his crazy sports on-stage, JFP continues playing cool solos and Brad "Mr. Sweet Emotion" Whitford keeps strumming those classic Aero riffs and as long as Joey keeps the beat and Tom's the cool one, I would go see and hear them anytime.

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: April 19, 2009 06:27

well as long as Aerosmith keep attracting those sweet little pussies to their gig then I'm on for it!Some attractive girls like Aerosmith.Only a true bush pig would love acdc.The image of tits'n'arse keeps people happy.

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: April 19, 2009 07:40

Aerosmith haven't made a whole album worth buying since Rocks. Everything since then has had, maybe, a couple of good songs. Even Draw the Line, after the title song, which I find @#$%& brilliant, didn't do much for me. I had a friend who used to play Night in the Ruts quite a bit, and I liked a lot of the songs on that, but you could tell things were not right with them by then. Everything from Permanent Vacation on I can't stand the sound of, the way they're recorded, even if I like the song. I'm listening to Honkin' on Bobo right now, and they sucked the life out of the songs with that horrible sound of theirs, Steven Tyler just overdoes his whole schtick these days.Their version of You Gotta Move is horrid, just awful. This is what happens when a middle-aged, multi-million dollar corporation plays the blues. Very well played, but absolutely no soul.

And Van Hagar flat out sucked, some of the worst corporate rock ever made.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 19, 2009 09:14

boogie69
Aerosmith haven't made a whole album worth buying since Rocks. Everything since then has had, maybe, a couple of good songs. Even Draw the Line, after the title song, which I find @#$%& brilliant, didn't do much for me. I had a friend who used to play Night in the Ruts quite a bit, and I liked a lot of the songs on that, but you could tell things were not right with them by then. Everything from Permanent Vacation on I can't stand the sound of, the way they're recorded, even if I like the song. I'm listening to Honkin' on Bobo right now, and they sucked the life out of the songs with that horrible sound of theirs, Steven Tyler just overdoes his whole schtick these days.Their version of You Gotta Move is horrid, just awful. This is what happens when a middle-aged, multi-million dollar corporation plays the blues. Very well played, but absolutely no soul.

I'll take Van Hagar and corporate rock over wolfie halen and untalented rock anyday.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 19, 2009 09:47

I know Permanent Vaca was their comeback, and there are some good moments to be sure. But it also signaled the era of hired guns to do their writing and a just oh too slick production. I agree with above posts, you can take a few good tunes from their recent output and make a great disc. Honkin has some great moments as well. Their version of I've Never Loved a Woman is incredible. Pounding guitars with gut bucket pickin' and some great over the top vocals from Tyler, who proves with a vengeance that he still has some incredible pipes.
Night in the Ruts for me was their last great disc...but it is way too short, and I guess they were just not able to hack it with each other, and wanted a quick exit... but man Three Mile Smile and Bone to Bone are great jams!
Live they still pack a punch. I remember watching the MTV Living Legend tribute of Aerosmith, and at the end they come on and just rip it up! They did an incredible version of Movin Out and Train Kept A' Rollin. I was genuinely shocked how great they sounded! Would love to see them on this tour...if I can this summer I will try!

Date: April 19, 2009 10:52

i'd say yes. the band says the reason the tour is still going on is because dates were starting to be booked before these health problems occured that delayed the album. joe perry is doing another solo album too

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 19, 2009 11:16

I liked the Toys In the Attic album and the odd song here and there, otherwise I think they're mostly slop. Though they try, they're still a poor excuse for a rock n' roll band (as a "rock" band, they're ok).

Leiber & Krebs pushing these hacks over the Dolls- for shame!

Date: April 19, 2009 13:43

keefriffhard4life
i'd say yes. the band says the reason the tour is still going on is because dates were starting to be booked before these health problems occured that delayed the album. joe perry is doing another solo album too

In fact, I'm more looking forward to his new solo album than the new Aerosmith record, which shouldn't be the case, but that's how it is, unfortunately. Perry's last solo album and JPP tour was great . If that one would have been an Aero album!! Wow!

And I agree with boogie 69 on Tyler overdoing this polishing-the-crap-put-of-an-album these days. He really could do better. He's still a great singer. There's still one or two tracks on an album that are so much better than the flat pop polished stuff. I guess it's just so much more convenient for him bot to do the raw 70s-like tunes. What a pity.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 19, 2009 15:23

boogie69

A bit harsh, but I find myself agreeing with much of what you said. I wish they would realize that sometimes less is more

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 20, 2009 15:48

jamesfdouglas
kovach
P.U.M.P was the last good original one in my opinion. Although I liked some of Honkin' on Bobo.

I don't know... Nine Lives has some great stuff on it.

Nine Lives to me is the best album these guys have ever done. I love this album. Start to Finish it's fantastic. Different sounds on it, and I listen to it over and over. Bobo had some highlights, as did Just Push Play. I personally love Jaded. Get A Grip I used to listen to alot but it's not aged well. PUMP was pretty darn good. I like Done With Mirrors the best of the Geffen albums. Perry's solo stuff is great too. I saw them on the Nine Lives tour, and they were fantastic, but if they're only playing an hour and a half, what's the sense in that? Not too long of a show for the money. I've heard that Tyler's voice can't do it anymore - is that true?? I definitely feel that this is one band that's beyond it's last leg, and I have just about every album except for the live boot. They're well beyond washed up IMO.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 20, 2009 16:46

VoodooLounge13
jamesfdouglas
kovach
P.U.M.P was the last good original one in my opinion. Although I liked some of Honkin' on Bobo.

Nine Lives to me is the best album these guys have ever done. I love this album. Start to Finish it's fantastic. Different sounds on it, and I listen to it over and over. Bobo had some highlights, as did Just Push Play. I personally love Jaded. Get A Grip I used to listen to alot but it's not aged well. PUMP was pretty darn good. I like Done With Mirrors the best of the Geffen albums. Perry's solo stuff is great too. I saw them on the Nine Lives tour, and they were fantastic, but if they're only playing an hour and a half, what's the sense in that? Not too long of a show for the money. I've heard that Tyler's voice can't do it anymore - is that true?? I definitely feel that this is one band that's beyond it's last leg, and I have just about every album except for the live boot. They're well beyond washed up IMO.

Oh boy, I just find "Nine Lives" horrible even if compared to the latest previous albums, especially "Get A Grip". When they switched over to Columbia they really kind of lost it: "Nine Lives" is dreadly overproduced and disappointing. "Falling In Love" it's a very good tune, "Pink" it's catchy, but basically that's it. "Get A Grip" instead is a really great record! Even the outtakes sounded great!!!

Date: April 20, 2009 16:59

Permanent Vacation was really good, imo. Pump was ok. With Get a grip, they started to lose it. Nine Lives? Nah. And I really like Aerosmith...

Date: April 20, 2009 17:38

VoodooLounge13
jamesfdouglas
kovach

Nine Lives to me is the best album these guys have ever done.

Ever heard Toys in the ATtic or Rockseye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 20, 2009 18:07

sweetcharmedlife
VoodooLounge13
jamesfdouglas
kovach

Nine Lives to me is the best album these guys have ever done.

Ever heard Toys in the ATtic or Rockseye rolling smiley

Yes, I have them both, but Nine Lives is without a doubt the best to me. Fallen Angels, Taste of India, Crash, Full Circle, Kiss Your Past Good-bye....great stuff.

Hey it's all personal taste. Just like I don't see what everyone sees with Rambler.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 20, 2009 19:36

They could cancel the tour. You don't just do a tour because it's booked.

Don't worry - a new greatest hits comp will come out, another old tunes with some of the newer tunes that all sound the same. And it will sell well.

Date: April 21, 2009 10:30

Re: OT: AEROSMITH - Is This Band On It's Last Legs ? (Mag. Article) new
Date: April 19, 2009 09:14

boogie69

I'll take Van Hagar and corporate rock over wolfie halen and untalented rock anyday.

I did not mean what Van Halen is doing now, I don't have much of an opinion on that, I was speaking in terms of comparision to their first era.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 21, 2009 11:17

they should've stopped after 'Done With Mirrors'

we already have one Bryan Adams clogging up the charts with awful MOR shite, we didn't need another one

Posted by: Strider ()
Date: April 21, 2009 16:25

CharliMoon
.....Many people wish they'd record a new album before they go in tour and of course it would be nice to have some new material to hear, but I personally could care less about that. ........
.....But I know quite a lot of folks on AF1, for example, who're considering - or already know for sure - that they're not gonna attend a concert on their upcoming tour, because it's about the same setlist every time and this time ticket prices are too expensive just to see them perform the same songs they have been playing for a decade.
Sure, I can understand this point of view, but then I know their live shows are always amazing - just watch the tons of videos, read all the reviews etc; If those are great how great is an actual live show then!! - no matter how many times they've played Crying and Jaded and I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing and all the other pop songs. And I would just like to experience their energy and thrill of performance. I mean, who knows how long we'll still have them? For some reason I believe their next album will be the last one and probably this tour's gonna be the last one, too. Who knoes. We should enjoy them as long as we can......
........Now, generally speaking, it would be very cool If they played a whole album in their shows, like Toys In The Attic and the like. Lots of people would die to see this and I'm sure noone would be complaining that much about ticket prices then, because it would be something new and then these prices would be justified. It surely is a slap in the face to their fans, charging prices this high. I mean, come on, who can afford it these days? I feel they've become greedy millionaires and it hurts me to say, really..........

This sounds alot like what some people think about the Stones?
In fact, most of these issues as they relate to the Stones have been addressed in other threads. New Album. War Horses. Ticket Prices.
What other bands could we say the same of?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-21 16:26 by Strider.

Date: April 21, 2009 22:14

Strider
CharliMoon
.....Many people wish they'd record a new album before they go in tour and of course it would be nice to have some new material to hear, but I personally could care less about that. ........
.....But I know quite a lot of folks on AF1, for example, who're considering - or already know for sure - that they're not gonna attend a concert on their upcoming tour, because it's about the same setlist every time and this time ticket prices are too expensive just to see them perform the same songs they have been playing for a decade.
Sure, I can understand this point of view, but then I know their live shows are always amazing - just watch the tons of videos, read all the reviews etc; If those are great how great is an actual live show then!! - no matter how many times they've played Crying and Jaded and I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing and all the other pop songs. And I would just like to experience their energy and thrill of performance. I mean, who knows how long we'll still have them? For some reason I believe their next album will be the last one and probably this tour's gonna be the last one, too. Who knoes. We should enjoy them as long as we can......
........Now, generally speaking, it would be very cool If they played a whole album in their shows, like Toys In The Attic and the like. Lots of people would die to see this and I'm sure noone would be complaining that much about ticket prices then, because it would be something new and then these prices would be justified. It surely is a slap in the face to their fans, charging prices this high. I mean, come on, who can afford it these days? I feel they've become greedy millionaires and it hurts me to say, really..........

This sounds alot like what some people think about the Stones?
In fact, most of these issues as they relate to the Stones have been addressed in other threads. New Album. War Horses. Ticket Prices.
What other bands could we say the same of?

I dunno. Probably those few big "old" bands with their members in the 60s still active today out there?

Well, BUT: For Aerosmith, there doesn't seem to be a recession and economic crisis. They tour STILL charging ticket prices this high, despite these problems. No wonder hardly anybody can really afford it, except If they have been saving on the next Aero tour for months. Don't Tyler and his crew see it's insane?
The Stones did not decide to tour. Yet. And with Jagger being the reasonable business man he is, I doubt that he would want to go on the road in a situation as bad as it is now. In an interview conducted around the release of SAL, If I remember correctly, he said economy always plays a part.

But what Aerosmith are doing is basically telling their fans to fo f*ck themselves!

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: April 23, 2009 07:37

Does this look like a band on it's last legs?? They're FAR and away freshest sounding than any current band descending from the 1960's. Albeit some personal problems that add turbulence to their history, their recent live sound ensure's at least a prospect of an incredible album left in the tank.

And by the way the last 45 seconds of that are as pure as rock and roll gets.. heck, beating on a guitar with your shirt.. they're still an intense band

Date: April 24, 2009 09:39

Yeah, but what song are they doing in that vid? One of their best, from the 70's. Their stuff today just doesn't compare. I don't think anyone here doubts that they still play as well as they ever did, but there's a big difference between being able to still play your best songs from the past and being able to write great songs now. Even Joe Perry has made comments about crap like I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing not being on a level with the stuff that made them great.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 24, 2009 11:54

boogie69
Even Joe Perry has made comments about crap like I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing not being on a level with the stuff that made them great.

So why did they bring it to their setlist in 2007 ???

I was pretty much disappointed by their last tour.
Everything was calculated, the songs, the moves right in front of the camera, they all seemed to be posing, with the exception of Aerosmith's equivalent to Bill Wyman : Brad Whitford. (I didn't say that because of their initials)

The Get A grip Tour has my best Aeromsith concert memories.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: April 29, 2009 00:49

boogie69
Even Joe Perry has made comments about crap like I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing not being on a level with the stuff that made them great.

So why did they bring it to their setlist in 2007 ???
------------------------------------------------------------
Because at this point they are a business, not a band, and they know that a lot of people like this aspect of their corporation. Besides, it doesn't matter if they play it or don't play it, Joe Perry has made comments to the effect that songs like I Don't Want To Miss A Thing aren't as good, or on the same level at least, as the music that originally made them famous and successful. I forget the exact quote, it was from a filmed interview, but to be fair, part of the comment was to explain and/or justify why they do those types of songs, while also acknowledging that they are far removed from what made them great. He basically said that certain newer songs are not as good as their older stuff, but they have become a part of who they are and that's why they play them. Or something to that effect. But by saying that, he did admit what a lot of people feel, that their ballads and what not of the past 10 years or so are not as good, and not what they are really about.

Date: May 4, 2009 15:42

CharliMoon
Oh I love Aerosmith, they're my second favourite band. Many people wish they'd record a new album before they go in tour and of course it would be nice to have some new material to hear, but I personally could care less about that. Unfortunately, I have never seen them life, so the only thing I want now is to see an Aero show, so for me personally it doesn't matter whether they perform new stuff then or not (sadly, it doesn't look like they're coming to Europe this time - I would go see them). But I know quite a lot of folks on AF1, for example, who're considering - or already know for sure - that they're not gonna attend a concert on their upcoming tour, because it's about the same setlist every time and this time ticket prices are too expensive just to see them perform the same songs they have been playing for a decade.
Sure, I can understand this point of view, but then I know their live shows are always amazing - just watch the tons of videos, read all the reviews etc; If those are great how great is an actual live show then!! - no matter how many times they've played Crying and Jaded and I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing and all the other pop songs. And I would just like to experience their energy and thrill of performance. I mean, who knows how long we'll still have them? For some reason I believe their next album will be the last one and probably this tour's gonna be the last one, too. Who knoes. We should enjoy them as long as we can.
Now, generally speaking, it would be very cool If they played a whole album in their shows, like Toys In The Attic and the like. Lots of people would die to see this and I'm sure noone would be complaining that much about ticket prices then, because it would be something new and then these prices would be justified. It surely is a slap in the face to their fans, charging prices this high. I mean, come on, who can afford it these days? I feel they've become greedy millionaires and it hurts me to say, really.

Re the album: It's sad Aerosmith have been struck by many illnesses and health issues in the past years, but I'm sure that's not the only reason for them not recording a new album in so many years. What annoys the crap outta me is that Perry always says the next one's gonna be awesome and back to the rawness of their early years and all that and that they're working out some great stuff. He talks and talks and talks but nothing ever comes out in the end. I like this band so much and Steven Tyler is absolutely awesome and I love Joe @#$%&' Perry and I agree on Brad Whitford being so underrated. And I think it's a pity most of what they ever come up with is another Best Of album and polished-to-the-hilt-pop songs these days. They could do so much better than that. It shows in some great tracks you get from time to time on albums like Honkin' On Bobo, Get A Grip, Pump and Nine Lives, even on Just Push Play there were two or three really good ones. They still have it in them, but something prevents them from letting it out.

Well, whatever, I still love them and always will and as long as Steven doesn't stop to sing and doing his crazy sports on-stage, JFP continues playing cool solos and Brad "Mr. Sweet Emotion" Whitford keeps strumming those classic Aero riffs and as long as Joey keeps the beat and Tom's the cool one, I would go see and hear them anytime.

"...it's a pity most of what they ever come up with is another Best Of album"

I'm not sure who has more Best Of albums.....Aerosmith or The Who. For as much as I love the Who, I am always astounded by how little they've actually produced in relatively the same amount of time as the Stones. Now granted they were virtually nonexistent in the 80's but in a lot of ways so were the Stones. I guess the difference is the Stones had vamped up again by the end of the decade and then continued on from there, whereas the Who still remained dormant....

Posted by: Stonewalled ()
Date: May 9, 2009 02:38

CharliMoon

I thought they were "on their last legs" with that horrible "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" from the Michael Bay/Jerry Bruickhemier crapfest "Armaggedon".And I LIKE Aerosmith....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home