Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Pearl Jam to announce tour . . .
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: April 14, 2009 04:53

I understand some of you do not care, but some do . . .

This year is a big year for Pearl Jam:

Reissue/remixing of their first album, "ten"
Eddie Vedder to do June U.S. solo tour
New Pearl Jam Album for Fall release
Pearl Jam U.S Tour in the Fall/South America in spring
A film project directed by Cameron Crow, probably a "kids are alright" type film

To celebrate, the song "Smile" (definately Neil Young influenced)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-14 05:10 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Re: OT: Pearl Jam to announce tour . . .
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 14, 2009 10:28

A film project directed by Cameron Crow, probably a "kids are alright" type film

cool, thanks... I am waiting ;-)
I have most of their CDs and really enjoyed their show in 2007, had a great time there.

IMHO it's one of the strongest rock acts today, one of the few groups that, if I had time and money, I would follow on tour, they're worth that. I'm not into the grunge and they don't play the blues, but nevertheless they're pretty impressive.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: April 14, 2009 12:12

Amused

IMHO it's one of the strongest rock acts today, one of the few groups that, if I had time and money, I would follow on tour, they're worth that. I'm not into the grunge and they don't play the blues, but nevertheless they're pretty impressive.

I've never seen them live but they are THE band I want to see. I have some of their recent live recordings and from what I hear they're one of the best bands in concert, if not the best.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: April 14, 2009 14:34

I saw them once in Lisbon. Very very good. They play real music, without backup singers or musicians. For me is the best rock and roll act today along with White Stripes.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2009 16:06

Even worse than Nirvana?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 14, 2009 17:36

Good band. The only time I saw them was opening for the Stones in a driving rainstorm. So I couldn't really enjoy them. I would like to see them again. But unfortunately they are playing at a festival in San Francisco. I don't do festivals,so I'll have to pass.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: April 14, 2009 17:50

One of the few rock'n'roll bands left. Listen to the track that was kindly posted above.

How much harp do you hear under 50 bands using today? In my opinion, Nirvana was a solid punk band. However, they didn't have PJ's depth.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: April 14, 2009 17:53

I've seen them 3x and very much looking forward to the 4th.

A GREAT band.

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: April 14, 2009 17:55

Glass Slide
I've seen them 3x and very much looking forward to the 4th.

A GREAT band.

Agreed. I've had the pleasure of seeing them twice and they certainly delivered the goods.

Date: April 14, 2009 18:43

Indeed, great compliments from this board . . . dare i say that they are truly one of just a few real rock bands out there.

Some of you older folks should check out Eddie Vedder's solo album/soundtrack to Into the Wild. Fantastic acoustic album. Good stuff.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: April 14, 2009 21:00

NorthShoreBlues2
Indeed, great compliments from this board . . . dare i say that they are truly one of just a few real rock bands out there.

Some of you older folks should check out Eddie Vedder's solo album/soundtrack to Into the Wild. Fantastic acoustic album. Good stuff.

"one of just a few real rock bands out there"---very well put. Sad, but true.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 14, 2009 22:44

> Even worse than Nirvana?

different class. they're not grunge now much, alt rock and they're super. shoulda check their last album!

Date: April 14, 2009 23:04

Amused
> Even worse than Nirvana?

different class. they're not grunge now much, alt rock and they're super. shoulda check their last album!

ok, just one more thing about pearl jam, then back to the stones, promise . . .

Indeed, Pearl Jam's last album was very well written, good mix of up tempo and slower songs. One of my favorite songs is perhaps one of the most underated protest songs/ pro-family songs out there, its called "Army Reserve"

How long must she stand
Before the ground, it gives way
To an endless fall
She can feel this
War on her face
Stars on her pillow
Folding in darkness
Begging for slumber

I'm not blind
I can see it coming
Looks like lightning
In my child's eye

I'm not frantic
I can feel it coming
Violently shakes
My body

Her son's slanted
Always giving her
The sideways eye
An empty chair where dad sits
How loud can silence get?
And mom, she reassures
To contain him
But it's becoming a lie

She tells herself
And everyone else
Father is risking
His life for our freedoms

I'm not blind
I can see it coming
Looks like lightning
In my childs eye

I'm not frantic
I can feel it coming
Darling you'll save me
If you save yourself

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 14, 2009 23:06

stillife
I saw them once in Lisbon. Very very good. They play real music, without backup singers or musicians. For me is the best rock and roll act today along with White Stripes.

Their tickets are relatively cheap although there is no light show or effects to speak of, only cursory lighting which will remind old timers of '70s era arena shows. You get a lot of musical bang for your buck though. The last time I saw them I think they played over thirty songs although about eight of them in a row were dirges.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 03:13

Pearl Jam is in my Top Ten list of favorite bands. "Yield" is a great car CD, and as I've frequently mentioned, the May 3 2003 "official bootleg" is a favorite. Haven't bought the remix of "Ten" yet, but I'm thinking on it.

Given as they such an outstanding live band, I prefer the live renditions of their well-known songs over the studio versions.

Date: April 15, 2009 04:05

Best PJ song by far is Yellow Ledbetter...Great tune.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 15, 2009 04:44

sweetcharmedlife

Yes, yes!!! Totally agree!smileys with beerhot smiley

Date: April 15, 2009 05:27

bassplayer617
Pearl Jam is in my Top Ten list of favorite bands. "Yield" is a great car CD, and as I've frequently mentioned, the May 3 2003 "official bootleg" is a favorite. Haven't bought the remix of "Ten" yet, but I'm thinking on it.

Given as they such an outstanding live band, I prefer the live renditions of their well-known songs over the studio versions.

Which show is the May 3, 2003?

Yup, 1998's Yeild is pretty damn good. Last album with the drummer, Jack Irons, who actually toured with the band in the spring of '98 in Far East/Australia, but thereafter left, they had to recruit Matt Cameron from the recently broken up Soundgarden for the U.S. portion of the '98 tour, he has stayed since. That was the tour they started using Ticketmaster again for some shows . . .

With regards to the new "Ten" remix, I have it and I'm sort of indifferent about it. In college that album meant alot and I'm so used to the sound that any variations seems uneccesary, don't get me wrong it sounds great but I only bought it for the MTV unplugged DVD.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 05:34

NSB, 5/3/03 is the famous 3 1/2 hour gig at State College PA (Penn State). The band played 39 songs in maybe the longest PJ show ever. Great performances, particularly by Mike McCready. A must-have, IMHO. Available through Amazon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-15 05:37 by bassplayer617.

Date: April 15, 2009 05:43

BluzDude
sweetcharmedlife

Here is a Yellow Ledbetter from Nurnburg 2000 . . . good McCready improv at the end . .

Date: April 15, 2009 06:08

NorthShoreBlues2
BluzDude
sweetcharmedlife

Here is a Yellow Ledbetter from Nurnburg 2000 . . . good McCready improv at the end . .

Nice. Thanks Blues. Northshore and Dudecool smiley

Posted by: squando ()
Date: April 15, 2009 14:50

Seen them twice and were worth every cent. If you haven't seen them and you like rnr and get the chance they really are worth a glance.

Vedder is so down to earth it's very refreshing. McCreedy can sure wield an axe as well.

Date: April 15, 2009 14:51

bassplayer617
NSB, 5/3/03 is the famous 3 1/2 hour gig at State College PA (Penn State). The band played 39 songs in maybe the longest PJ show ever. Great performances, particularly by Mike McCready. A must-have, IMHO. Available through Amazon.

Indeed, yes the famous State College Show (Penn State) definately great show, however, some of those 2003 marathon shows were a bit sloppy in spots, which is uncharistic for this band because they have a reputation for delivering a consistently tight show.

One of the longest shows I ever saw them do was Mansfield, MA (outside of Boston) summer of 2003, they played a one hour acoustic set prior to the opening band, then performed a nearly a 3 hour set during their regular show . . . it was one of the only times that a band wore me out, i think i had to actually sit down a few times! What a drag it is getting old . . . That show was the 3rd show at Mansfield that year in which they did not play a single song twice. Imagine that, 3 shows averaging nearly 3 hours each night with no one song played twice, wow!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home