Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Learn Ronnie Wood guitar solo
Posted by: joel ()
Date: April 10, 2009 10:23

Hi

Was wondering if anyone has a clue where to go to find tabs of Ronnie Woods guitarsolos, such as he plays on "You cant always get what you want" (forty licks DVD)

Re: Learn Ronnie Wood guitar solo
Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:13

Play some standard licks, use some tremolo picking and play out of key now and then - or simply don't play at all. That's a Ronnie solo.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:15

cool smiley

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: April 10, 2009 14:10

Bärs
Play some standard licks, use some tremolo picking and play out of key now and then - or simply don't play at all. That's a Ronnie solo.

What an @#$%& you are!

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: April 10, 2009 14:25

...start practising on one of these...

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: April 10, 2009 18:18

Ronnie plays mostly in the major/minor pentatonic scales. He sometimes uses the mixolydian mode, which is basically a minor mode that sounds more rocky. The root notes are highlighted in black.

A really good example is angie from paris 1976:

His solo on the 40 licks dvd is most likely jumping between a c major and c minor pentatonic scale. He starts in the minor pentatonic going from the root up to bending the fifth(or F note on the g string) Play around with that for a while.
He then seems to move up to what some call the "albert box" A short version of the pentatonic scale that albert king likes to use. It is essentially the second pattern of a pentatonic scale on the g-e strings. I the key of C it would be fret 12 on the g string, 11 and 13 on your b string, 13 being your root, and 11 and 13 on the high e string. Bending up the fifth(or 13) on your high e string and then dropping back to your root is something ronnie does a lot.
The other thing he likes doing is adding in a country style tension lick. So say we are in the major pentatonic, he likes to bend up fret seven, and toggle to fret 8 on the b string. this gives you the sound of having a bender on your guitar. He seems to usually find this lick, same notes, but an octave up on the b and e strings. He really likes to use this on tumbling dice, which I think he actually uses a b bender on.

If that helped at all?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 10, 2009 19:05

That's as good an explanation as any ebissel. Well done! Regarding learning the solos, many mp3 players, Windows Media player for example, allow you to slow down the play speed by half while maintaining pitch. It's a great way, at least for me, to learn solos and it's great ear training too.

Date: April 10, 2009 19:28

"He sometimes uses the mixolydian mode, which is basically a minor mode that sounds more rocky."

Maybe insignificant,but the mixolydian mode is a major scale with a flat 7.
It's certainly no minor scale.Might be a bit misleading for a beginner...

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: April 10, 2009 19:55

Bärs

So its weird that they didn not call you to replace himgrinning smiley

Posted by: joel ()
Date: April 10, 2009 20:13

Thanks...

Do anybody have a YOUTUBE link to a lesson that shows how to play ronnies licks?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 11, 2009 02:10

Try searching youtube and see what you can find. Alternaively, try learning the solos by ear.

Date: April 11, 2009 02:44

Amsterdamned
"He sometimes uses the mixolydian mode, which is basically a minor mode that sounds more rocky."

yup thats what I meant smiling smiley thanks. Yeah its major but more rock and roll, and less country twangy like if you only use the major scale.

Date: April 11, 2009 02:55

Ronnie really rocks the solo on this solo version of honky tonk women. Its a great example of his style

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 11, 2009 07:55

Great idea: find a tablature of out of tune crap laden with wrong notes and other such nonsense. I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to duplicate note-for-note anything Ronnie Wood has ever done with the Rolling Stones (his work with the Faces is another story, however). Figure your own damn way of playing around any Stones song he polluted.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 11, 2009 08:53

joel
Thanks...

Do anybody have a YOUTUBE link to a lesson that shows how to play ronnies licks?

Umm.

1. erbissell already provided a generous amount of information to start on. If you don't know the scales....you're gonna have a pretty hard time.

2. Surely you can check Youtube yourself for a video?

Date: April 11, 2009 14:49

Don't bother joel :

First of all: enjoy Ron's playing. Inspiration is the most important factor.

Unfortunately Ron knows only one pentatonic(blues) scale,and a few fingering types.

There are numerous players & methods out there that bring you a lot further,as there are lots of pent+bluesscales.winking smiley

Date: April 11, 2009 15:20

baxlap
Great idea: find a tablature of out of tune crap laden with wrong notes and other such nonsense. I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to duplicate note-for-note anything Ronnie Wood has ever done with the Rolling Stones (his work with the Faces is another story, however). Figure your own damn way of playing around any Stones song he polluted.

cool smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 11, 2009 18:15

Some solos on "Beast of Burden" are great during the Voodoo Lounge Tour, in tne same way the solos on "Gimme Shelter" during the Urban Jungle Tour. Almost on every song Ronnie plays very well in 75/76, unfortunately a long time ago. So often it would be better, if he would play nothing, for example on "Start me Up" during Bigger-Bang-Tour, a tremendous musical nonsense that causes terrrible toothache ... Best wishes RJ.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 12, 2009 00:16

"Its a great example of his style"

I didnt know he had a style >grinning smiley<

Date: April 12, 2009 14:34

erbissell
Amsterdamned

yup thats what I meant smiling smiley thanks. Yeah its major but more rock and roll, and less country twangy like if you only use the major scale.

But what to do with it if you wanna play countyrock?smiling smiley

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 12, 2009 22:39

I use rockmagic.net,azchords.com, and chordie.com.

BV...Can we start a separate section for guitar questions? Maybe peole with questions can get some real answers .

Date: April 13, 2009 00:14

Cafaro
I use rockmagic.net,azchords.com, and chordie.com.

BV...Can we start a separate section for guitar questions? Maybe peole with questions can get some real answers .

Most answers you read on this topic are as real as you can get.thumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 13, 2009 10:59

listen to the Faces music to get the real Ron Wood guitar work...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2081
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home