Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: A possibility to meet Bob Dylan?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 10, 2009 03:23

Despite the advice I gave earlier I myself would tend to be more in the "Silence is Golden" bag Rooster recommends. Don'thnk the "buy a beer" idea is realistic. Would a pleasant half smile be acceptable?

Someone more bold might just look Dylan in the eye and say: "How did you avoid Allen Klein and keep all that publishing for yourself."

And if they were really lucky, hypothetically speaking Bob might just answer:
"Because I'm not stupid."

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 10, 2009 03:23

Ah okay. Good to know. "Dirty World" is my fav TW track---next to "Handle With Care" of course. I love the ending to "DW".

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:42

At some point in his career (1990 or 1991) he forbade HIS backing musicians to cross his path backstage or in hotel lobbies. thumbs up

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:57

Some people think that artists have to be "kind and friendly" to their fans as those fans are paying for the concert tickets and cds etc...
I don't think so.

The deal is:
You buy a cd - you get a cd by an artist.
You buy a concert ticket - you get to see the artist live in concert.

That's it.

If some artist loves to chat with fans at the backstage entrance or in front of the hotel - then fine.

If not, we should respect that.

Try to imagine how it was for you to come home from work having people you don't know sitting in front of your frontdoor wanting to talk to you and have you pose for pictures with them?
Every day?

Everyone of us knows the feeling when you're sightseeing and people come up to you trying to talk you into buying a replica handbag, a rose or ugly sunglasses or try to persuade you to visit a certain restaurant etc...?
It makes me feel uncormfortable (at least sometimes) and I guess it feels just like that if you're an artist and meet your "fans".

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 10, 2009 20:46

And on the other hand we got bands like Kiss...who do this so wanted thing and even fuc your girlfriend

Posted by: lualua ()
Date: April 10, 2009 22:09

I went to half a dozen of Dylan's Spring shows '05. After one of the Oakland gigs we caught the train back to San Francisco, then quick taxi ride up to Vesuvio boozer. About two or three AM, I stumbled out, wandered across the street and almost literally walked into him. He was with Merle Haggard (joint tour at the time) seemingly just having a walk about North Beach. It took less than a seconds eye contact for his body language to become defensive. He obviously saw the recognition in my own face and wasn't in the mood.
I didn't bother him at all.
I would have only said something @#$%& stupid anyway.

Date: April 11, 2009 10:42

Honestly, I wouldn't even know what to say to him!

Maybe something nice about TTRH, which introduced me to a lot of "new" music and which I still enjoy every single week...

Date: April 11, 2009 12:14

I would saY....I like Blind willie mc tell too!!!

Date: April 11, 2009 15:36

"I stumbled out, wandered across the street and almost literally walked into him. He was with Merle Haggard (joint tour at the time) seemingly just having a walk about North Beach. It took less than a seconds eye contact for his body language to become defensive"

Didn't Dylan say sth like "look at this bar. The minute I enter it the mood will change and everybody will look at me. How I wish I could join these people and spend a normal time with them..."

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 11, 2009 16:45

Halup
If you do find yourself face to face with Dylan, he may just completely ignore that you are even there. That's what happened to me in 2004, when Dylan was playing at the Wiltern for the Willie Nelson show with many special guests including Keith Richards. A friend and I waited by the back exit and when Dylan came out, we asked if he would sign an album. He ignored us and we walked down the street with him, only about a meter from him, until he got on his tour bus. He didn't have a security guard with him and he never said a word to us and didn't even acknowledg that we were there.

what a @#$%&. you should've punched him in the face

Date: April 11, 2009 16:47

there is nothing to say....sad eyed lady

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 11, 2009 17:13

dcba
"I stumbled out, wandered across the street and almost literally walked into him. He was with Merle Haggard (joint tour at the time) seemingly just having a walk about North Beach. It took less than a seconds eye contact for his body language to become defensive"

Didn't Dylan say sth like "look at this bar. The minute I enter it the mood will change and everybody will look at me. How I wish I could join these people and spend a normal time with them..."

The price of fame, eh what?
Of course, its not impossibe to go out to some places and be left alone - I suppose though thats why celebs end up spending vacations in places like Mustique which is presumably hassle free to alarge extent (but not I suspect Bob's holiday choice).
I doubt whther Dylan is the most relaxed of people, so any bad vibes will send him running.
I know of a few pubs round where I live where the locals have probably never heard of Bob Dylan, let alone recognise him!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 11, 2009 17:27

andy js
Halup
If you do find yourself face to face with Dylan, he may just completely ignore that you are even there. That's what happened to me in 2004, when Dylan was playing at the Wiltern for the Willie Nelson show with many special guests including Keith Richards. A friend and I waited by the back exit and when Dylan came out, we asked if he would sign an album. He ignored us and we walked down the street with him, only about a meter from him, until he got on his tour bus. He didn't have a security guard with him and he never said a word to us and didn't even acknowledg that we were there.

what a @#$%&. you should've punched him in the face

Nonsense. If he ignores you to begin with, then you should have got the message that he doesnt want to be bothered instead of 'walking down the street with him, only a metre from him'. Thats just being a pest and is even ruder than Bob's initial reaction was.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 11, 2009 17:54

yep, we have the music, we don't own the man. Its disgusting that so called fans would follow him down the street. Thats called stalking. I once flew from Scotland to New York because ACDC were being inducted in the Hall of Fame. When Malcolm arrived I yelled out "Hey Malcolm, welcolme to Scotland"He laughed and gave me a "thumbs up". Why do I tell this story? because I know the difference between being lucky and stalking your heroes

Date: April 11, 2009 20:00

I think people are brainwashed into thinking that IF they spot a famous face in the street and do not behave "accordingly" (= coming up with a witty remark, asking for an autograph etc etc) they are missing a great opportunity.

A "no reaction" reaction is the way I'd follow myself...

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 12, 2009 08:00

Several years ago I was in a bar and Mel Brooks was there with a small group of his friends. I was sitting at a small table with a couple friends. At some point Mel walks past us and says "Hi Fellas, having a good evening?" and kept walking. He passed us again a couple minutes later and he stopped at our table again and started talking to us. It was just odd, but great at the same time.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 12, 2009 09:20

Yeah, why can't Bob Dylan be more like Mel Brooks??

Date: April 12, 2009 11:09

trainarollin
Several years ago I was in a bar and Mel Brooks was there with a small group of his friends. I was sitting at a small table with a couple friends. At some point Mel walks past us and says "Hi Fellas, having a good evening?" and kept walking. He passed us again a couple minutes later and he stopped at our table again and started talking to us. It was just odd, but great at the same time.

I find it rather annoying if famous people come to my table to talk when I just want to enjoy a quiet meal...

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: April 12, 2009 11:51

You know sometimes when I walk down the street, people ask me for a cigarette or a lighter and stuff... I know they recognized me and, really, they dream of kissing my boots, but they come up with these smart strategies so I can pour a word of wisdom on them - real tactful. Others, on the other hand, they just yell at me. One was such a fetichist he even stole my bicycle! God! Ah, it's tough being famous... You guys should consider yourselves lucky!

Date: April 12, 2009 12:08

"Yeah, why can't Bob Dylan be more like Mel Brooks??"

Cos Bob ain't jew, he's Christian! winking smiley

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 12, 2009 18:59

Bob is back to being Jewish

Date: April 12, 2009 19:18

Playing three of his Christian-era songs on Palm Sunday 7 days ago would suggest that presumption isnt as clearcut as many would think.

Not to mention the amount of contemporary 'Christian' covers hes performed at his shows in recent years - Pass Me Not o Gentle Saviour, I Am The Man Thomas, Somebody Touched Me, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-12 19:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 13, 2009 01:28

Imagine a Bob/Mel crossover....the theme from Blazing Saddles done Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid style.

Or the Young Frankenstein version of Putting on the Ritz sung by Bob.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: April 13, 2009 04:10

Gazza
Playing three of his Christian-era songs on Palm Sunday 7 days ago would suggest that presumption isnt as clearcut as many would think.

Not to mention the amount of contemporary 'Christian' covers hes performed at his shows in recent years - Pass Me Not o Gentle Saviour, I Am The Man Thomas, Somebody Touched Me, etc.

His preference for these songs could indeed indicate he has not made a total switch back to the Jewish faith. Tonight, on Easter Sunday he opened with Gotta Serve Somebody (which is from '79 - right after his conversion to Christianity). Should this be regarded as a pretty strong message ?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 13, 2009 15:10

Lightnin' = Its a bit dodgy reading anything into Bob's set list don't you think?!

Date: April 13, 2009 15:20

"Cos Bob ain't jew, he's Christian!"
My comment was a tongue-in-cheek one, of course!

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: April 13, 2009 15:29

jlowe
Lightnin' = Its a bit dodgy reading anything into Bob's set list don't you think?!

I'm just wondering if there's any "hidden messages" in there. I don't think it's a coincidence that he includes more songs from his evangelical period in the setlist when it's a religious holiday.
Like Gazza said, three songs from that era (on Palm Sunday) is quite unusual. I'm inclined to think that religion plays an important role in Dylan's life, perhaps more than people realise.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 13, 2009 19:25

Papo
trainarollin

I find it rather annoying if famous people come to my table to talk when I just want to enjoy a quiet meal...

i know! it's getting to the point where being just another nameless unknown face is such a hassle. it's really not worth the poverty and infamy..

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: April 16, 2009 15:24

so nellcote tell us - did you meet the man? did you try?

Date: April 16, 2009 15:42

Lightnin'
Gazza

His preference for these songs could indeed indicate he has not made a total switch back to the Jewish faith. Tonight, on Easter Sunday he opened with Gotta Serve Somebody (which is from '79 - right after his conversion to Christianity). Should this be regarded as a pretty strong message ?

I dont think he ever really did. Its a subject he's managed to evade/avoid in interviews since the early 80's.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home