Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: A possibility to meet Bob Dylan?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 9, 2009 02:09

Gazza
mickschix
Hey, Gazza, have you ever met Dylan, or come close to meeting him?

No, Debra,

Oddly enough, he's the one celebrity that if I did meet, I honestly think I wouldnt know how to deal with it.

you make sure you take care of business before you leave the house and you have nothing to be afraid of....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 9, 2009 02:11

StonesTod
Gazza
mickschix

No, Debra,

Oddly enough, he's the one celebrity that if I did meet, I honestly think I wouldnt know how to deal with it.

you make sure you take care of business before you leave the house and you have nothing to be afraid of....

hey, youve gone drinking with me....you know what my bladder's like once I 'break the seal'....

Date: April 9, 2009 02:12

Gazza
StonesTod
Gazza
mickschix

No, Debra,

hey, youve gone drinking with me....you know what my bladder's like once I 'break the seal'....

true - but i was thinking of the business on your backside was as likely an issue, too...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 9, 2009 02:13

But why would a person want to meet Bob Dylan - or any other artist; and shake hands and stuff? The important thing is the work of an artist, and in Dylan's case; poetry and performance....who gives a rats ass about a smile or an empty phrase from the artist? Unless you're married to him anyway....
If I were Dylan - and I met a person; dying to shake hands....I'd presume him/her to be a sicko.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-09 02:16 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 9, 2009 02:24

Erik_Snow
But why would a person want to meet Bob Dylan - or any other artist; and shake hands and stuff?

so we'd have something to report here on iorr and impress all the sickos, obviously. geez.

Date: April 9, 2009 02:31

Yeah, all the sickos who haven't dined with kings nor offered wings - they are easily impressed

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 9, 2009 02:54

Halup
If you do find yourself face to face with Dylan, he may just completely ignore that you are even there. That's what happened to me in 2004, when Dylan was playing at the Wiltern for the Willie Nelson show with many special guests including Keith Richards. A friend and I waited by the back exit and when Dylan came out, we asked if he would sign an album. He ignored us and we walked down the street with him, only about a meter from him, until he got on his tour bus. He didn't have a security guard with him and he never said a word to us and didn't even acknowledg that we were there.

Halup, man, no offense but this seems kind of creepy for you to follow him like that after he obviously didn't want to interact with you. In fact, I think it's rude. Just because Dylan is a celebrity doesn't mean that he owes a fan an autograph, a smile, or a photo. I know from reading your posts over the years that you seem to have a hobby of getting celebrities to "sign stuff." Fine. But following a guy that doesn't want to talk to you seems rude and creepy....and that's probably the very behavior that causes celebrities to be cold to fans.

Date: April 9, 2009 03:08

Yeah, Luke - that's the thing - a lot of people thinks that celebrities are "items" they have every right to confrontate - as if their lives were out for sale or borrow.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 9, 2009 04:04

You mustn't take it personally. Think how you would feel if dozens of people viewed YOU as an object or even an annex of themselves?

The unsolicited advice I would offer is that when you may come face to face with someone you admire, don't ask for a signature or a photo. "Thank you for the music" will give you a connection to that person that will mean something to both of you.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 9, 2009 04:38

StonesTod
met charlie musselwhite in the mens' room the other night in between sets. be careful what you wish for - you might be disappointed. he was much more impressive on the stage...and i'll leave it at that...

I am seeing Charlie on Saturday...so is he kind of a jerk off-stage?

Date: April 9, 2009 04:58

trainarollin
StonesTod
met charlie musselwhite in the mens' room the other night in between sets. be careful what you wish for - you might be disappointed. he was much more impressive on the stage...and i'll leave it at that...

I am seeing Charlie on Saturday...so is he kind of a jerk off-stage?

ha. no, he's a great guy, actually. he just sorta blends in around here - we see him at the grocery store and other common places all the time...

i really like his new guitar ace, Matthew Stubbs - just 26...got a big future in the biz. charlie's band is sorta like mayall's - a proving ground for up-and-coming guitarists. this new kid - doesn't play it so conventionally as alot of the new blooze gunslingers do - lots of space and very few cliches....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-09 05:00 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: April 9, 2009 11:08

nellcote, can you give us updates on your attempts to meet Bob Dylan

maybe you are lucky...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 9, 2009 17:01

winking smiley My dear Gazza, I'm very sure that if you were to stumble into ( not literally!) Mr Dylan, you would come up with something meaningful to say. You'd not let the moment go by without leaving a lasting, favorable impression. It's just the natural thing to do, and with your knowledge of his music and writings, it would take just one sentence, one phrase that would tell him that you respect his work and KNOW a lot but you also know enough to back off.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 9, 2009 18:16

I wouldnt dream of discussing his music with him - he'd (understandably) run a mile. I'd probably do exactly what stonesrule suggested. If I was going to have a chat, I'd probably recommend a few Irish golf courses for him as I know he plays a bit....

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 9, 2009 20:18

Gazza
If I was going to have a chat, I'd probably recommend a few Irish golf courses for him as I know he plays a bit....

isn't this hard to believe, though? First he's not in great physical shape and second, golf is such an elites' game--or pseudo-elites'--at least in the US.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 9, 2009 20:21

bob usually does keep himself pretty fit, actually. boxing has been a lifelong hobby of his....

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 9, 2009 20:29

I met Bob Dylan, I sat right next to him at the dinner table. It was backstage
at a tribute concert for Roy Orbinson back in 1990. That I was sitting next to him was due to a seating plan mistake. Also present were members of the Byrds, John Fogarty John Lee Hooker, among others. Dylan wore round sunglasses,John Lennon style, but with purple lense. He asked me who I was, I told him, he looked around, didn't talk to anyone else and after a couple minutes he got up and left.Oh well, not sure what I would say to him anyway.

Date: April 9, 2009 20:36

bob's had some weird periods - but perhaps none weirder than circa 1990....just your luck....

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 9, 2009 22:06

Actually that would be a clever way to prolong the conversation, Gazza. I didn't know he played Golf but if you could recommend a course that might be less known where he might go unrecognized, he'd be in your debt....then who knows!? I know, I do love my fantasies!

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 9, 2009 22:07

My Dylan collection, studio and bootlegs, is only surpassed by my Stones collection. I think he may well be the single most brilliant musical mind to arise out of the last century, and have tremendous respect for his abilties and his accomplishments. I respect the fact thyat at times we fans must be a tremendous pain in the ass.

That all said, I cannot recall any major recording star with such sucess and longevity slag his fanbase as often or as visciously as Dylan has. In an interview over a decade ago I remember (though unfortunately not well enouugh to give a bibliography note) him responding to a question about less than stellar performances with something to effect of " giving 100% every night leading to the fate of Judy Garland." I can't imagine any other artist even hinting that there are times when he was not even interested in deliviring to the best of his abilities. Now we all know that it happens, but TO ADMIT that there are nights when you are going to collect 100% of the money charged knowing that you could care less about delivivering `100% of your ability shows a cynicism and crassness I find hard to relate to or in all honesty respect.

I don't know the man personally, but the decades old treatment of Joan Baez,his brillliant and beautifully transcedant sharing of the pain of loosing Sara on Blood on the Tracks, without a single admission of responsibilty, his scathing views of friendship (Positively 4th StreeT) lead me to believe he might well NOT be a nice guy. Bob Dylan is brilliant, eclectic, a treasure, and I don't think there is anyone more aware OR CONVINCED of that every minute of every day than Mr Dylan himself.Even Jagger's ego takes a backseat I think comppared to what Dylan thinks of himself.

Now that does not mean I won't buy and love the next album. But I sure wouldn't hang around any hotel lobbies hoping for a handshake.

Date: April 9, 2009 22:13

yeah - but, i'm not sure why it should be important to anyone to respect or like (or whatever) the artist - it's the art that counts, i think. i don't know if it's a case of hero-worship or something that makes people feel a need to like or relate to the artist. i doubt there are many whose art i admire that i would like if i knew on a personal level - and no matter. sinatra and van morrison come immediately to mind. brilliant artists, but doubtful they are/were people i could ever relate to on any personal basis....nor would i want to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-09 23:06 by T&A.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 9, 2009 22:57

all this monkey bizniz...is makin me tired...if you meet him say hello and buy him a beer....and stay with your dreams...and memories...just say nothing and listen!.....its so stupid to say your tour is the best and you made me so happy...i would not say it...i think its better to not meet big rock stars or legends from the sixties...i do meet a lot of new bands when i see them but thats just not my intention .......stones or dylan.....i would just buy a beer ...sometimes words are very stupid...silence is golden

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 9, 2009 23:12

Dr. Rooster,

I would have to communicate to Mr. Dylan thank you for this:

Date: April 9, 2009 23:22

Cheers chris...i like that thing!

Date: April 9, 2009 23:32

And one can also meet Rockman and listen to blues and R&R all night long....with lots of beer...those are what we call ehe good times....no need to flatter the legends....i mean this...if you start like your so great and grey...and all that...and than get drunk in front of your hero...what will be left of your 1969 dreams of what they once was?

Date: April 9, 2009 23:38

Dr. Rooster

Springsteen has only scheduled one Florida concert - Tampa. Miami is Tennis light years from Tampa. Hopefully, S. Florida will be in the mix after the Euro leg..

Handle with Care has been removed from Youtube..this pisses me off. A great song by the TWiburys!! I was going to post it.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 9, 2009 23:41

Chris Fountain

Handle with Care has been removed from Youtube...

What's this? Did Dylan cover "handle with care"?? I'm at work and we can't see YouTube links at all.

Date: April 9, 2009 23:42

No. Dylan was a TW

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 10, 2009 02:47

Right. Sorry. I read too deeply in your post and I thought he threw in a TW song recently in the set and someone put it on YouTube or something. Would be nice though. Has Bob ever done "Dirty World" at a show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-10 02:48 by Justin.

Date: April 10, 2009 02:59

Justin
Right. Sorry. I read too deeply in your post and I thought he threw in a TW song recently in the set and someone put it on YouTube or something. Would be nice though. Has Bob ever done "Dirty World" at a show?

The only TW song I can remember Dylan doing live is "Congratulations".

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home