Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Top 10: Rock 'N' Roll Front Men
Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: April 3, 2009 19:57

the only exciting thing about this kind of lists, is the reactions that make on us grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-03 19:58 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: April 3, 2009 19:57

cool

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2009 19:59

socialdistortion
7. Daltry
8. Townshend - not classic but he does "front" a lot of songs

i'm sorry, we are only allowing one entry per band at this time....

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: April 3, 2009 20:02

bumbum
Turner
ask men top 10

Mick is #3

Freddie Mercury in front of Mick I can accept - fantastic performer, but Robert Plant No. 1 - that'a too much.

To me he is overrated - he sings good, but to be honest a very boring performer.

I was thinking the same way...Mick would be my choice at #1, but Mercury over him, on yet another silly list, isn't going to ruffle my feathers.

As for the votes for Elvis, Dylan, Bowie, Prince and the likes, I consider them to be more along the lines of solo performers than frontmen, so am not bothered by their exclusion.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2009 20:09

WMiller
As for the votes for Elvis, Dylan, Bowie, Prince and the likes, I consider them to be more along the lines of solo performers than frontmen, so am not bothered by their exclusion.

when i look behind them, i see a band usually, so i think you are getting a little nit-picky....

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: April 3, 2009 20:48

No particular order but:
Mick Jagger
Freddie Mercury(without moustaches)
Iggy Pop
Jim Morrison
The Who (4-head monster)
Elvis of course
Bowie
Hendrix
Elton John
Lennon

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: April 3, 2009 23:16

The Top 10 should be as follows:

1. Mick Jagger
2. Elvis
3. Springsteen
4. after #3 it doesnt matter

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: April 3, 2009 23:53

My Personal list would be something like this..... drinking smiley

In random order.

Freddie Mercury
Bruce Dickinson
Dave Gahan
Ozzy Osbourne
Mick Jagger
Brian Johnson
Steven Tyler
James Hatfield
Anders Fridén
Joey Ramone

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 3, 2009 23:55

Mick Jagger is #1. He is the best Rock and Roll front man. He has stamina, presence,and energy. Ok,sometimes he wears @#$%& off clothe (the labia jacket) but that's alright, because he can.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: April 4, 2009 10:21

Can be entirely disregarded as is not AskWomen...

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 4, 2009 13:47

One of my personal favourites who is almost always overlooked/forgotten about is Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. In his younger years an absolute whirlwind performer..and a lot of it done whilst standing on one leg playing the flute!

Another one I believe rates a mention is Noddy Holder. Don't know about Top 10 but a brilliant showman with a warm personality...not a bad singer either.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 4, 2009 15:29

guitarbastard
what a shit list!

where is elvis? where is iggy? robert plant no,1??? gimme a break!

I beleive the list is trying to name people who were part of a band and not a solo act. That's why Elvis isn't there

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 4, 2009 15:35

I wish Axel Rose would go away for all eternity. Any untalented street bumb crack pot junkie could do what he did. Nothing.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 4, 2009 18:06

Here's also a forgotten front-man

2 1 2 0

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 4, 2009 21:15

No Expectations
Ray Davies would be in my top 10.

Yes certainly- especially if the criteria includes songwriting. Davies could outwrite Plant and Page with one arm tied behind his back. This list appears to be either one man's opinion or a vote in which case it depends on the demographic that visit the website. The Stones fare well when it is a list produced by a multitude of fellow musicians, critics and other music insiders as opposed to this list which could just be a popularity contest.

Are Plant and Page better singers than Jagger in the technical sense? Yes, but being a frontman to me is so much more like stage presence and songwriting and connecting with the audience. Oh well at least Jagger finished ahead of Bozo.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-04 21:16 by FrankM.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 4, 2009 22:02

Give me Jimmy Page as a guitar player, and Bonham as a drummer, and people will be blown away by the sound and put me ahead of Jagger. Although truth be told not even my dog wants to hear my singing voice.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 5, 2009 22:32

people that are saying Elvis, Bowie and Dylan they are solo artists for the most part a front man fronts a band - Lists are stupid but Jagger really shoud be number 1

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 6, 2009 00:40

Ah... a subject near and dear to my heart...

First off, I don't think the list is meant for solo acts (Tom Jones, Bowie, Elvis, etc.) Secondly, Thom Yorke??? WTF? He's the only one I see on the list and think "um... no."

I love Led Zeppelin - a very close second place of favourite groups of all time for me. I'm also a huge fan of Robert Plant's solo stuff. I enjoy it more than any other solo act from any group. He's a brilliant singer and still a fantastic writer with is integrity still intact. But as a frontman... he's different. He believes his material, and he relates to the audience. His talking between song is always relevant to the song itself, and his inflections are very passionate. I think you have to get him to appreciate him.

Having said all that... I have to say that I've never seen a frontman ever own a stadium like Freddie Mercury. Ever. I never had a chance to see Queen, but my God... watch the Live Aid DVDs and try telling me that anyone was ever better than Freddie (ironically it was one of Mick's best nights oversees too).

Freddie, Mick, and Robert are all very different, and all three deserve to be in the top spot for very different reasons. One thing's for sure - thery're in a class of their own and far above the rest of the people in the list.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2009 00:49

Not exactly Rock N Roll but he sure was one great front man ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: April 6, 2009 01:39

All i was thinking when thumbing thru this list was wheres Daltrey??? once i realized he wasnt there, this list lost all its credibility, not to mention some problems with the ordering of the few decent picks they had...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 6, 2009 01:55

ANY list that doesn't place Mick as #1 is not to be taken seriously! Excuse me, does that sound prejudice?? Yup, but it is also true, IMO. As far as this being a valid list, it just isn't without Morrison, yes and Elvis, and Daltrey, and Hendrix on it.
No one mentioned that drop dead lead by Mick Taylor that brought tears to my eyes!! What a crime that we all can't revisit that year, that tour. It was my virgin tour, what an intro to the Stones live! I noticed how little I missed Lisa during that clip...not that I don't think she adds tremendously to that song but the stripped down version is simply spectacular.

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 6, 2009 13:29

(in no particular oder):

Otis Redding
David Johansen
Mick Jagger
James Brown
Iggy Pop
Prince
David Bowie
Paul Westerberg
Joe Strummer
Bill Carter (Screaming Blue Messiahs)

EDIT: Oh! I forgot Springsteen! What a dummy! Be seein him next month, for the 10th or 11th time. Always riveting, E Street Band, Sessions Band, solo, whatever. As great as Jagger I reckon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-07 01:16 by Muppet HiFi.

Posted by: ray gay ()
Date: April 6, 2009 14:49

i guess this list is of frontmen in rock bands. elvis, chuck berry, iggy, bowie etc are solo-stars. all in all i think its difficult to beat elvis.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 6, 2009 15:24

Someone said it best...Mick is second to none.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 6, 2009 16:05

socialdistortion

The list should be called, "The top ten front men - AFTER Jagger"

Mick Jagger. Such a great performer !
He is the archetype of THE rock frontman. Androgynous sexual attitude singing Rock and also blues with raw intensity, it's Mick.

On the latest years the influence that Mick Jagger has given to Rock and behaviour on stage is important.

Jagger is professional,passionate,a bit too predictable these last years.But
he has so much energy, charisma,and a kind of special attitude .

Presley
Morrison
Plant
Bowie
Iggy
David Johansen
Prince
James Brown

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 6, 2009 16:20

It has become apparent to certains persons who did not previously recognize it - critics and the like - that Mick Jagger has perhaps the single greatest talent for putting a song across of anyone in the history of the performing arts. In his movements he has somehow combined the most dramatic qualities of James Brown, Rudolf Nureyev, and Marcel Marceau. He makes all previous movers - Elvis, Sammy Davis, Janis Joplin, and even (saints protect me from sacrilege) the great James B. himself - appear to be waist deep in the grimpenmire. This tradition (of movin' and groovin') had its most modest beginning with Cab Calloway at the Cotton Club in Harlem where he would occasionally strut or slink about in front of the bandstand by way of "illustrating" a number. After each, he would take his bow, mopping his forehead, beaming up his gratitude for the applause as he reverted to his "normal" self for the next downbeat (and invariably a change of pace). The phenomenal thing Jagger has accomplished is to have projected an image so overwhelmingly intense and so incredibly comprehensive that it embraces the totality of his work - so that there is virtually no distinction between the person and the song. This is all the more remarkable when it is realized that there is also virtually no connection between the public, midnight rambler image of Jagger and the man himself...

- Terry Southerner, writer, 1972

He used to dance. Now it is a dance with ATHLETICS. It's not vintage Jagger, but something new - Jagger revved up into high gear. The new Jagger onstage has changed him somewhat... What shocked (America) about Jagger was not, in the end, his long hair or his pouty, salubrious lips or his androgeneity, although those certainly cut hard across the grain. What was really upsetting was what he did with his body. This has always been the cutting edge in rock roles, even way before Elvis' pelvis - what men did with their bodies. There's no formula in what Jagger does - at least not one that is apparent. He flops. His joints won't hold. He sticks some part of himself in your face and wiggles whatever is closest. It isn't even the sexuality of the act that's upsetting; he's never shown off his crotch or derrière like every other two-bit lounge act. If anything, what he's flaunted has been pansexuality, a kind of I'll-take-it-all. But even this has been far less devastating than the anarchy of it all. To Jagger, the stage is more than the kind of narrow space used mostly laterally by rockers; it has a dramatic depth to be used choreographically. Jagger's act is part mime, part dance. It has less to do with a display of power - for that you have to go to heavy metal - than with manipulation. There's more sinuousness than raw strength in what he does. And from this comes his real impact. With every move he makes, he seems to be daring the audience to... what? Grab him? Move? Dance? Fight back? It really doesn't matter exactly. He's taunting you to do something...

- Peter Goddard, The Last Tour (1982

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 6, 2009 17:28

Nice post Swaystones.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 6, 2009 18:17

Mick has always been my favorite, without doubt, but I have to give James Brown the vote for most dynamic, hard working, etc. frontman of those I've ever seen.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 7, 2009 03:07

What? No George Clinton? For shame!

CBII

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: April 7, 2009 03:18

The existance of this sound completely discredits this list

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home