Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Keith -The way he was....
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2009 21:46

WMiller
Beautiful words, Elmo. You should put them to musicwinking smiley

Thanks, my friend, but this bozo beat me to it!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 2, 2009 23:17

........I blame this thread on the New Barbarian you tube videos on IORR.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 23:17

the day keith richards leaves this mortal coil, so will the true spirit of rock and roll. enjoy him while you can people

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 2, 2009 23:36

The last time Keith played really fantastic was 1999.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 23:54

So true ghost. Keith in his prime, gave the Stones their swagger. We all get old, but that doesn't mean we are nothing. More respect for the dangerous side of the Glimmer Twins.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 3, 2009 00:00

there's no crime in getting old, but that in and of itself isn't the issue with our boy. saw another guitar icon last night who is keith's senior by 6 years and he played as well as he ever has...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 3, 2009 00:19

timbernardis
And I think u can understand and respect that, as I do you.
But of course...

Date: April 3, 2009 00:31

stonesrule
Agree with Chris M.
It's not about "time warp." It's about reality.
I will continue to buy tickets to see The Rolling Stones as long as they tour.
Keith loves the audience, loves being on stage but his guitar playing is erratic to say the least. And it isn't because of his fall. At several of the ABB shows I attended, Keith and Ronnie were the two least impressive players on the stage.
In Keith's younger days he had something to prove, but that hasn't been true for some time.
Thanks for expounding on what I wrote stonesrule. A "time warp" mentaility has nothing to do with it. The fact of the matter (in my opinion of course) is that Keith can no longer play at the level that made him a true rock and roll original. I am not trying to "spoil" the forum for anyone, I'm merely stating an opinion, which I thought was the purpose of a discussion forum. If anyone feels that he is still a great player, that's great. I have no problem with that.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 3, 2009 00:51

I saw 3 shows before the accedent and 3 after. I have boots of all six. by listening you can't tell by his playing if it was before or after. The Atlantic city show which was after he fell he played great. The Wash DC show which was before he was awlful. I guess it all depends just on how Keith feels that day.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 3, 2009 01:14

T&A
there's no crime in getting old, but that in and of itself isn't the issue with our boy. saw another guitar icon last night who is keith's senior by 6 years and he played as well as he ever has...

Good to hear that JJ Cale delivered....that's one of the few great ones that never tours over here. You should have brought a recorder..... What kind of venue was it?

Date: April 3, 2009 01:18

small theater - 400 or so - it was originally billed as a solo show/tour but jj made a last minute decision to bring along some old pals. tour has sold out almost every show. we had front row center location....among the neighbors we chatted with, the closest came from wisconsin. others there from belgium, london and switzerland...just to see a couple of jj shows! yeah, i guess he doesn't get out to europe!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 3, 2009 01:21

T&A
small theater - 400 or so - it was originally billed as a solo show/tour but jj made a last minute decision to bring along some old pals. tour has sold out almost every show. we had front row center location....among the neighbors we chatted with, the closest came from wisconsin. others there from belgium, london and switzerland...just to see a couple of jj shows! yeah, i guess he doesn't get out to europe!

It's not too often he gets out of Oklahoma, ha ha
If I had the time and money I surely would have travelled over to see him.....400 people and front row - sounds excellent

Date: April 3, 2009 01:27

Erik_Snow
T&A

It's not too often he gets out of Oklahoma, ha ha
If I had the time and money I surely would have travelled over to see him.....400 people and front row - sounds excellent

a less likely looking and acting rock guitar god you'll not find. it's almost like he's embarrassed when people applaud and whoop it up.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 3, 2009 01:31

Long live Keith the very soul of the Rolling Stones - love him for who he is/was whatever there will never be anyone else quite like him again. A very very unique and wonderful guitarist/songwriter.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 3, 2009 02:36

oldkr
i hate to burst the bubble but he never could play and sing at the same time. Then he got vocal lessons and lost his rock, then his arthritis crippled his hands and he lost his roll.

nothing to do with his "tree"

OLDKR

I beg to differ ,just check this video with the Wino's.Keith is singing,playing,and rocking the house,he is on fire..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: April 3, 2009 20:11

ROPENI
batonrouge75
Here is a better video of Keith at his best during the 1972 tour:

No doubt, a great video, but as far as moving and grooving on stage Keith didn't let loose l think till the 80's...

god i miss that keith... so very much...

getting old sucks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-03 20:13 by keefan4ever.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2009 20:28

keefan4ever
god i miss that keith... so very much...

getting old sucks

for you or him?

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: April 3, 2009 20:30

for everyone...

however, i guess the alternative (an early death) is not much better...

!!!!

Date: April 3, 2009 20:40

it's like they say, growing old isn't so bad when you consider the alternative...

Posted by: winjoe ()
Date: April 3, 2009 21:15

One of my favorite things to read on these boards is when people rip on Keith's playing and then state that they know what they are talking about because they play guitar.

Keith has written and performed many of the greatest songs in the history of popular music. His talent is absolutely massive and his influence on music will endure forever.

Please understand, when you pick up a guitar and learn to play a little, that doesn't make you Keith Richards. You are delusional if you think that you can play like him. You can't. But, if you'd like to try....

1) Write 400 songs, and have roughly a quarter of them be among the greatest songs ever.
2) Play them live in kick ass fashion over the course of +40 years.
3) Redefine the concept of rhythm guitar playing.

Or, hey...just write all the songs on Let It Bleed and play virtually every guitar on it.

You people are seriously delusional. Why not post some of your own tunes so we can do some comparing and contrasting? I wonder how your stuff holds up outside of the sad confines of your own minds.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2009 00:43

Aint it strange.... The guy did H, a heavy smack addict for some eight-nine-ten-eleven years...
He has been drinkin' & smokin' heavily & been victim of
a half dozen or so car crashes...
He wrote all the classics, some with Jagger...
He was a front figure in the youth rebel run of 1960s & onwards.......
And now, 2009, we like demand he shall be in top form,
soon 66 years of age.

Date: April 4, 2009 00:45

i don't think people are demanding or expecting or delusional. i think there's just a realistic assessment of what was vs. what is. no harm in that. not exactly an indictment....

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 4, 2009 00:52

I just wish the Berry influence would come back more in his playing.
NOthing delusional about that.
Nor did I knock his contributions over the years.

Date: April 4, 2009 02:36

Winjoe, and anyone else who thinks Keith's legacy is being pissed on, no one that I can see has been disparaging of him, least of all me, for what he has done. Nor did I or anyone else state that they were better guitarists. He is perhaps my all time favorite guitar player and song writer. Rather, the comments are geared towards his playing and image as it is now. I grew up listening to Stones albums and learned to play guitar to them and having been a keen student of his style I hear a definite deterioration in the quality of his playing. This is not delusional, merely an observation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-04 22:03 by ChrisM.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 4, 2009 02:36

We're all really lucky Keith survived that brain injury at all! In the wake of Natashia Richardson's death from a head injury similar to Keith's, we all need to get a grip and be thrilled we can still HOPE to see the Stones LIVE next year. From what I've heard since his fall, it was quite serious and he could have died if he had not been transported to the hospital as quickly as he was. I know I sometimes tease about Keith but I am really very fond of him; as I said to a fellow Stones fan the other night, I can pick on Keith but don't let me hear anyone else make a nasty remark about him!! It's like having a family member that you'll defend to the death!

Date: April 4, 2009 02:40

i really don't like my family very much...i'm just sayin'....

Date: April 4, 2009 02:47

I like mine, but I hear what you saying Tod. God, I wish I had been able to see J.J Cale, you lucky, lucky bastard!

Date: April 4, 2009 02:49

he played bimbo's last night and is in santa cruz tonite....i'm just sayin'...

musselwhite in Santa Rosa tonite...i guess i must have the blues....leon redbone sunday night in petaluma....wide spectrum music week here....

Date: April 4, 2009 02:52

@#$%&! Leon Redbone is playing the Mystic? Man, I gotta go!

Date: April 4, 2009 02:54

you should - tix still available - $25...we'll be there front row center if it works out as well as it did for jj....

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2131
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home