Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Keith -The way he was....
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 2, 2009 03:02

Found this video,where we can enjoy vintage Richards stages moves.
Its a shame he will never play like that again.
l mean after his accident he couldn't play and sing at the same time.
At least we have these memories...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: Keith -The way he was....
Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 03:28

Here is a better video of Keith at his best during the 1972 tour:

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 2, 2009 03:33

batonrouge75

No doubt, a great video, but as far as moving and grooving on stage Keith didn't let loose l think till the 80's...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 03:46

ROPENI
batonrouge75

No doubt, a great video, but as far as moving and grooving on stage Keith didn't let loose l think till the 80's...

Keith Richard turned into a parody of himself in the 80's. Today he appears much like a cartoon character.

I prefer to remember the "Keith" I saw in 1972 & 1975.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 2, 2009 04:18

kinda sad u guys cannot seem to still enjoy Keith as he is today. I am not too concerned about whether he is better or worse than in the past. I still like him and his playing, and that's all that counts -- if one still enjoys something or someone. I do.

plexi

Posted by: doster ()
Date: April 2, 2009 04:26

I agree, I loved him in 72 and I love him today. He's Keith and to me that's all that matters.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 2, 2009 04:43

i hate to burst the bubble but he never could play and sing at the same time. Then he got vocal lessons and lost his rock, then his arthritis crippled his hands and he lost his roll.

nothing to do with his "tree"

OLDKR

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 2, 2009 05:09

Glad you still like him Tim but his playing is a shadow of what it used to be. What got me into the Stones many years ago in the first place was Keith and his guitar playing. These days Keith is very much a parody of himself and his playing is pretty much unlistenable. I take no joy at all in saying this and in fact it pains me to do so, but that's how I see it.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: April 2, 2009 05:23

the accident happened in the middle of the tour - let's give him a break until the next tour and see the effects of recovery and brain rewiring before we pass such judgements.

great video from ropen1 though - thanks!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 2, 2009 05:34

good queeenie, ditto.

chris, i know u love the 72 stones and i am glad and have been the beneficiary of your love for them during that era. And it was great.

On the other hand, i have heard people saying that the Stones, whether individually or collectively, have been a parody of themselves since, what, my first tour in 75, earlier??

it's a bit like the question "is this the last tour." Has been said so much and so often that for me it is nearly meaningless.

That said, Chris, i know u are a guitarist and so u will hear lots of things that I dont, as well it should be. I do not possess your level of analysis, yet from a non-musician's point of view, i still love him and his playing, as untutored as that may be. But it is still a valid point of view.

And I think u can understand and respect that, as I do you.

p

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: April 2, 2009 08:02

I feel that its time for some of us to confess. If you don't like the Stones, as they are now, then live in your time warp and quit trying to spoil the band for everyone else. Keith is Keith....young old or in between, he is Keith Richards. Except it or not. He is still the coolest guy there is.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 08:50

GNAT
I feel that its time for some of us to confess. If you don't like the Stones, as they are now, then live in your time warp and quit trying to spoil the band for everyone else. Keith is Keith....young old or in between, he is Keith Richards. Except it or not. He is still the coolest guy there is.

I totally agree, GNAT!

Stones can't turn back time, they will be what they are today and tomorrow is another day. The day they pack it in and tell us it's all over, will be a Sad Day.
So let's enjoy them as they are.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 09:07

come on, after all keith's been through , he deserves some slack . unlike some aging rock stars keith does not pretend to be something he's not.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 2, 2009 09:55

Well, people change and that's the way things go, but my biggest disapointment
is that the Chuck Berry style of his playing is totally gone.
He did that style better than anyone and when he was on it was breathtaking,
but now, to me, his playing now is boring. That being said, you can't go back
to 1975 or 1978 and maybe he doesn't want to.
Also he plays the 5-string almost like a parody.
I always thought that after working with Berry on the Hail Hail movie,
he pushed that style aside as if he cast out a demon.
Horses for courses.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 2, 2009 11:53

GNAT

Rather egocentric remark Gnat,

If someone doesn't like the Stones like they are now ,why bother:You like them?OK!
Besides,the Stones started in '63 and are going on for more than 35 years now!
Many people like a certain area more than a different one and want to "share" their grieve or delight..
As long as it's not insulting or whatever,please keep on talking about anything!cool smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 2, 2009 12:10

Actually, its 45 years now........and going on for 50!

Date: April 2, 2009 12:22

Damn right you are!!
Lucky me I only liked the first 11 years.cool smiley

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: April 2, 2009 12:46

Amsterdamned
GNAT

If someone doesn't like the Stones like they are now ,why bother:You like them?OK!
Many people like a certain area more than a different one and want to "share" their grieve or delight..
As long as it's not insulting or whatever,please keep on talking about anything!cool smiley

Whats egocentric about it? Nothing that I can see. I simply stated that those who choose to live in a time warp do so without ruining the whole thing for the rest of us.

If you can show me where I was wrong I'll gladly offer an apology. Good Luck.

"going on for more than 35 years now?"......You think? Maybe thats why they called it 40 Licks......way back in 2002......its 2009 now......35?

Math skills are not your thing, I see.

Posted by: DiddleyBo ()
Date: April 2, 2009 13:39

I liked how Keith played on the Licks Tour. His playing was totally elaborate and surprising. In the 70s his style was simple compared to what he delivered in 2003.
DiddleyBo

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 14:57

if you were 64, I bet you looked and played better in 78 than now too..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-02 14:58 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 2, 2009 15:33

batonrouge75

My fave video...watch at Keith fingers !!!!

Keith was great that day !
I liked the way he played during the Licks Tour.
Someone told me once that I was miking up (confounding) the feelings I have for the man and the admiration I had for the musician....
Last time I saw him on stage I must confess I felt really sad and sorry for his physical condition....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: April 2, 2009 16:33

GNAT
Amsterdamned
GNAT

Whats egocentric about it? Nothing that I can see. I simply stated that those who choose to live in a time warp do so without ruining the whole thing for the rest of us.

If you can show me where I was wrong I'll gladly offer an apology. Good Luck.

"going on for more than 35 years now?"......You think? Maybe thats why they called it 40 Licks......way back in 2002......its 2009 now......35?

Math skills are not your thing, I see.

How can anybody spoil someone enjoying the Stones?
That's all I want to point out.

I dont know what you mean with Math Skills??

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 2, 2009 17:01

...isnĀ“t he still alive ?
Hope so !

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 2, 2009 18:07

GNAT
I feel that its time for some of us to confess. If you don't like the Stones, as they are now, then live in your time warp and quit trying to spoil the band for everyone else.

spoil the band for everyone else, huh? how do you arrive at that conclusion? an opinion is just an opinion, i think....

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 2, 2009 18:39

Keith deserves a big break for hitting his head and age. Yet being too drink and drugged out to play, too insecure to let a superior guitar player do more or all of the heavy lifting while charging us so much money for the privilege of an air guitar contest, well he needs to be called out on that.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 2, 2009 19:23

Agree with Chris M.
It's not about "time warp." It's about reality.
I will continue to buy tickets to see The Rolling Stones as long as they tour.
Keith loves the audience, loves being on stage but his guitar playing is erratic to say the least. And it isn't because of his fall. At several of the ABB shows I attended, Keith and Ronnie were the two least impressive players on the stage.
In Keith's younger days he had something to prove, but that hasn't been true for some time.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: April 2, 2009 21:20

doster
I agree, I loved him in 72 and I love him today. He's Keith and to me that's all that matters.

Well said. Here's a great one:

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2009 21:33

The "real" Keith was last seen in 1988.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2009 21:36

Memories
Like the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were

Can it be that it was all so simple then
Or has time rewritten every line
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me - would we? could we?

Memories
May be beautiful and yet
Whats too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget

So it is the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember
The way we were

So it is the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember
The way we were

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: April 2, 2009 21:42

Beautiful words, Elmo. You should put them to musicwinking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home