Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Golf with Alice
Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 04:06

Sorry I accidentally sent the first one through before I was done.

Had to share this with Stones fans. Two weeks ago I got to play 18 holes of golf with Alice Cooper. I won an on-line charity auction last May and just now got to complete the deal.

Let me say, Alice could not have been nicer. It was just the two of us and we rode in a cart together. We played at a course called The Phoenician in Scottsdale, AZ. It was a magnificent course and Alice said he plays there about once a week. He golfs 300 times a year. He is every bit the excellent golfer he is reputed to be. He hits it a long way and has a great short game as well.

He wqs so nice and down to earth and made me feel very relaxed. If I chipped on and then switched clubs to putt out, he would often pick up my club. A couple times he told me stay in the cart and he would leave the fairway and go into the desert (to look for my ball, of course).

We talked about everything under the sun including our families, his music, tours, sports and even a little politics. I told him I first saw him at the Cincinnati Gardens on the "Nightmare" Tour in 1975.

We got some pictures, and a couple autographs. I took a picture of him in August at a show in Indianapolis which was very cool. I had it blown up and took a silver sharpie with me and he signed it to "Pat (my wife) and Steve, Alice Cooper, Your Friend and Confidant."

Told me many stories about the Stones. He said they are THE BEST GUYS. Said Keith is absolutley "salt of the earth." Talked about other groups, singers and movie stars. A very down-to-earth guy.

My wife and another couple were with me. That night Alice picked up the tab for our dinners at "Cooperstown," his downtown Phoenix restaurant.

He's out on tour starting in June in Russia. Hitting the States, late summer, fall. If you've never seen him, you owe it to yourself to catch him. He told me a little about the upcoming tour and it sounds very cool.

One of the coolest days of my life!

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-31 04:08 by Woody24.

Re: OT: Golf with Alice
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 31, 2009 05:16

Great experience!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 31, 2009 11:56

Congrats. Some day when I have the extra coin I would love to bid, but I'm afraid my game may not be up to his standard. The Phoenician is a very fun course, particularly some of the par 3s.

So what did he have to say about Damon's return? Details about the new ACAS tour? Is he doing southern states this fall? We need the details. :-)

Coop is still one of the great live acts around.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 31, 2009 15:56

What a day that must have been.
I've always wanted to play in one of his charity events, and I can't even believe how cool it must have been to spend the day with a true rock icon.
Good on you!

Any pictures that you can share?

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: March 31, 2009 16:07

The golf course has always been a good place to make new friends. Thanks for posting about your day with Alice. I love a good golf story.

Date: March 31, 2009 17:12

Unfortunately I'm kind of a dinasour and while I got some pix, I have no idea how to post one on here.

I don't want to reveal too much about the details of his new tour (I really don't know much detail) but it sounds very cool. He's bringing back some things from the past and mixing it with his latest stuff (Along Came A Spider).

I know there's website out of England (I believe) called Sickthings.co.uk that already shows some dates in Ohio, Wisconsin and Indiana in August. He told me he's opening the tour in Russia. He's smart enough to get out of Phoenix as the heat sets in in July, August.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 31, 2009 17:41

Cool story Woody. Seen the Coop a few times over the years. Including opening for them in Glendale on the ABB tour. He did a real good set.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 31, 2009 18:07

Great experience!

Much better than my charity dinner with Gene Simmons. When the check came, he excused himself to make a phone call and never came back..... (just kidding)

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 31, 2009 19:05

I was part of a golf foursome at a charity event with Alice, Darius Rutger, and US football player Brian Cox. I dont golf so Alice and Brian had many laughs at my expense. Darius was upset because I was ruining the game for him.

Brian Cox and Alice were very nice and funny. We had a great time. Hootie was popular at that time so Darius was being very egotistical. Alice said something to the effect that he needs to sell out Madison Square Garden before he is allowed to act that way.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 31, 2009 19:35

This may be a stupid question, Woody, but do people refer/talk so him
as "Alice" or "Vincent" or sumfin else?

Date: March 31, 2009 19:40

Nice Coop was willing to go into the desert on your behalf. Apparently he has no fear of snakes, LOL!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 31, 2009 20:27

I called him Alice

Date: March 31, 2009 20:32

Sorry, Cafaro; could have asked you as well.
Was that experience in yer approximate neighborhood?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 31, 2009 22:05

Cool story

Date: March 31, 2009 22:15

She asked me why
The singer's name was Alice
I said listen, baby
You really wouldn't understand

Date: March 31, 2009 22:36

I called him Alice. In his book (autobiography) he talks about that very thing. His roadies and close friends call him "Coop." His mother calls him "Vincent." To everyone else he's "ALICE."

He put "Coop" for his name on the golf scorecard. At the end he signed it and gave it to me.

Date: March 31, 2009 22:38

My first pop/rock idol I reckon. Slightly before the Stones.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 31, 2009 22:42

Wow! Sometimes, I guess I loved it more to meet Alice Cooper than any of the Stones although, RS are my unbeaten No.1! I've read a lot of articles that Alice is such a nice guy and, as you have written in your interesting report Woody24, really down-to-earth.
By the way, I saw Alice Cooper last fall at Munich and the show was really great. The show and the concert. What a pitty that only half of Olympiahalle was filled...

Date: March 31, 2009 22:51

Baboon Bro
My first pop/rock idol I reckon. Slightly before the Stones.

Not before as in "above" but as in "earlier".

Date: April 1, 2009 03:12

One more story from my day with Alice- Stones related.

He was talking about when he opened for the Stones a couple years ago (2006?). I saw them at Churchill Downs in Louisville, but he was talking about their show together in Nova Scotia. He said they were all back stage and discussing the possibility of doing something all together during the encore. Alice said, Keith asked Alice's lead guitar guy (I don't recall his name) if he could play Brown Sugar. The guy looked at Keith and said, "Yeah, I can. Can you?" Keith quickly shot back, "I can come up with some version of it."

He told me many stories and memories of the Stones. It truely sounded like the Stones are his all time favorites!

Good taste, heh?

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: April 1, 2009 04:38

Great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: April 1, 2009 04:43

Fantastic story Woody.

I am so happy for you that you had such a great day with the absolute champ of champs - Alice Cooper!

I have met him too [briefly] & seen him many times & he is the greatest live performer putting on a show today. I really cannot split him from the Stones anymore when talking about my favourite. He's an incredible musician, songwriter & performer!

His music is straight from the Stones textbook, just about every riff he has is indebted to the Stones & he is proud of it. And yes - The Stones are his all time favourite band ever from all the interviews, footage I have of him talking about them, from what I can gather.

You have made me so happy by putting up this post & I only hope you cherish that day you had with the great Alice forever. What a incredible day you must have had.

On his name - Apparently if people yell out "Vincent" to him on the street, he just keeps walking as if he heard nothing. It's Alice to everyone except his mum & closest. [as mentioned in a post above].

The Greatest Ever Rolling Stones & The Mighty Alice Cooper, may they rock on forever.

Top stuff Woody - Cheers to you mate!

Date: April 1, 2009 07:17

Woody24
One more story from my day with Alice- Stones related.

He was talking about when he opened for the Stones a couple years ago (2006?). I saw them at Churchill Downs in Louisville, but he was talking about their show together in Nova Scotia. He said they were all back stage and discussing the possibility of doing something all together during the encore. Alice said, Keith asked Alice's lead guitar guy (I don't recall his name) if he could play Brown Sugar. The guy looked at Keith and said, "Yeah, I can. Can you?" Keith quickly shot back, "I can come up with some version of it."

He told me many stories and memories of the Stones. It truely sounded like the Stones are his all time favorites!

Good taste, heh?

Yeah like I said before. The last time Alice opened for the Stones was in Phoenix/Glendale 2006. The first ever concert in that stadium. The Coop suffered through some sound issues before things settled down and he put on his full fledged show. What I didn't understand was the long delay between the Coop and the Stones. Certainly no major traffic issues on a Wed night in Phoenix. At least comapared to what a pain in the ass it was to get to Oakland a couple of nights before where I missed most of Van Morrison (unintentionally) and the Stones came on fairly quickly after Van left.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: April 1, 2009 07:49

Good deal, Woody. Alice is great. Here is a bit of The Coop with some Stones connection.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: April 1, 2009 09:26

Golf provides so many good times and opportunities! This is a wonderful story! And damned if it's not almost Masters week!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! smileys with beer

Date: April 1, 2009 12:27

Coop is a very humble person. My wife and I got 20 mins on his tour bus with him in Birmingham the last time through and I mentioned that we saw him at Churchill Downs, met his band in the Rattlesnake before the show, and thought he blew the Stones off the stage. He was very quick to point out that no one blows the Stones off the stage, and that by Phoenix the Stones brought their A-game knowing what they were following.

The lead guitarist then was Damon Johnson who will be joining him again for this summer's tour.

So, what did Coop shoot and which tees did you all play off? I would still like to do it one day, but $3000 was a bit of a stretch for me at the time. Probably now the price of a Stones ticket for the next tour, LOL!

I saw Coop the day after The Who in Boston last fall and it was every bit as good a show. He brings it every night and is MUST SEE IMHO.

Date: April 1, 2009 12:57

I met Alice backstage after their performance backing the Stones in Halifax. Kanye West was doing his thing on stage at the time. Alice was very approachable. His make-up was running as it had been raining out on the site.

While playing here in Saint John a few years ago, he did a round of golf and just joined up with people who needed a foursome. That's pretty down-to-earth cool.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 1, 2009 13:30

Thats a great story.

Its always nice to hear people like alice are down to earth kind of people.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 1, 2009 13:55

I have been an Alice Cooper fan since the seventies i.e. Schools Out and Billion Dollar Babies. When I saw the Stones in Glendale I did actually "meet" him. I had been up to the VIP area just looking for action, and when I came down, as the elevator door opened, I was ready to walk out of the elevator and there he waqs, right in front of me. Alice Cooper. He said "Hi" to me and smiled, very nice guy. Then later on I was up front in Kentucky where Alice Cooper was warming up for the Stones. He was throwing out necklesses during every show, and I treid to grab one for a few songs. I guess I looked like a real fan then! Would certainly see Alice on his own if he were nearby and it waqs not a Stones tour.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: April 1, 2009 22:30

Anybody else watching the Golf Channel series with Charles Barkley and Hank Haney? I like Chuck.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home